Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2008, 10:24   #1

Novice with Overwhelming Urge To The Sea and One Question

Hello, all.

I'm a semi-novice sailor (sailed around the Keys and a bit on the Great Lakes), who woke up one recent morning with the strongest urge to take to the water.

I've cold called captains and emailed yacht delivery companies, but to no avail...

Could you please suggest a more productive way of building my sailing chops? Is there someone you could recommend I get in touch with?

I'm a fit (physically, emotionally...), 28 yr, male, with a very quick learning curve and desire to learn about sailing. I'm hard working and fun, a solid cook, well-traveled and ready to ship out.

Any info would be greatly helpful.

Thank you,
Ari
arisussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
You aren't going to get much in the commercial areana. Why not try your local yacht clubs - skippers are always looking for rail meat for their local races. Be honest about your experiences and you desire to learn - you'll find plenty of willing skippers to take on a new person. As you improve, you'll be in demand. Good luck and welcome to the board.

I might also suggest that you take a moment to fill some information in on your profile - this will assist those that are trying to help you.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:34   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Ari, You had also posted on my blog so let me add that Thomas suggestions are your best bet. Hit the local marinas on weekends and strike up some conversations with owners that actually take there boats out on weekends. Find out what days and evenings the local races are done in your area and be on the dock before race time. Someone always doesn't show up and last minute crew can be valuable. If there are bulletin boards around the marina put up some 3X5 cards with your info and you are willing to crew. Some owners may call when they need to move their boats and no one to help.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 14:17   #4

You might want to start getting some instruction and certification. After that, take some friends sailing. I was able to increase both my confidence and competence by sailing in flotilla. In 1984 I joined a flotilla in the Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands. I went to Turkey in 1985, 1986 and 1988 for flotillas.

I started on a race crew (Tartan 10 out of Clear Lake, TX). After that I got my Canadian Yachting Association Basic Cruising and Coastal Navigation. I had wanted to get my advanced standard, but my instructor suggested that I just go sailing.

You may also be able to get more experience by paying for the pleasure of deliverying boats. There will be a number of boats returning from the Vic-Maui race. However, open-ocean sailing is not at all like coastal cruising. It is closer to shore where you can run (literally) into more trouble.

The paying jobs come when you have the experience and skills desired. Those only come through boat time.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 16:33   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I'll second the call to head to your local yacht clubs. Put your name down as wanting to crew. You will soon pick up a ride (or rides) on a boat (or boats). Just do all the sailing that you can. Racing sailing isn't the same as crusing, but it is an opportunity to get sea miles under your belt, learn heaps and not have to pay the bills to maintain the boat!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novice