Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50   #1

not newbie, just absent for years

Hi, It's been a few years since I posted and I'm looking for a little advice in the buying and selling arena, plus this post will serve as feeler for interest in some "stuff"

I own an 85 Catalina 30 TR. She is now for sale and I've got a couple prospect buyers very interested. However, I suspect there will be some negotiation. I was thinking the following might offset a lower offer:

First, I built a trailer for my boat 8 yrs ago. It is a storage trailer (no suspension, no brakes, etc) for the purpose of going 1 1/2 mile from my house to the marina at no more than 10 MPH. No way would it be suitable for long distance transportation. Prospective buyer "John Doe" wants to buy my boat but doesn't need the trailer. So I'm looking for someone who wants a trailer and would give me his cradle plus some money (what's a C30 trailer worth?)

Next John isn't interested in using the spinnaker. So, if he buys the boat less the spinnaker, sheets, pole halyard, mast loop, and mast top crane, is there a market for them?

I have a Martec folding prop and John doesn't care about that. I remember paying almost $300 for it. I threw the solid prop away years ago. (Stupid). Perhaps I could find someone who wants to trade a two blade and some bucks

Last, John isn't interested in the Garhauler adjustable genoa car system so that's on the auction block too.

John however does want a dodger which my boat doesn't have. Perhaps he'd up his offer if I could provide one. If there is anyone out there with a dodger for sale and would like to trade for any of my "stuff" consider this an invitation.

For those who might ask, I am located in West Michigan.
3 times a lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:37   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: not newbie, just absent for years

Welcome to the forum.
Old 17-06-2012, 14:47   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Welcome back
Old 17-06-2012, 14:57   #4

"John" needs to realize that boats dont usually come with 100% of what you "prefer" to have. He should just get the boat and trade what he can when he can... I dont see that stuff being worth that much on the used market to give much of a price reduction in a market that already has Cat 30's selling cheap. A racer might want the Martec prop but they are useless for cruising. Wierd he wouldnt want the genoa cars. Spinnakers abound in used sail lofts. I suppose if you want to deal with all of it you can get some money for it though. a trailer road ready and titled for that might get $2500-$3000; one like yours hard to say.. not more than $1000 if that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 23:16   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Yes, John Doe needs to accept all that comes with the boat and not expect discounts just because he doesn't want certain items. It is a buyer's market but not a give away boat market.
Good luck on your sale. I think the trailer should fetch 1000 to 1500. It would certainly be a plus here.
kind regards,