Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 21:08   #1

Boat: Endurance 35
Not my boat.

Hello All,

There I was, minding my own business when my 78 year old brother decides he needs to work on his bucket list. Two top items are to live aboard a sailboat and kiss Raquel Welch. Enter a super clean, custom built Endurance 35, now moored thirty minutes from my home at Quartermaster Harbor on the southern tip of Vashon Island, WA. Raquel, if you visit this forum and like sailors I'd like to make an introduction.

Myself, I'm four years form retirement and considering spending half of each year on a cat in the BVI. In the 70's and early 80's I raced Hobie 16s and 18s in LA Harbor with Hobie Jr and Sr. Now those two would take you to school! I played with sail boards on teh Columbia River through the rest of the 80's, and that's about it.

So for now my wife is encouraging me to be my brother's service monkey, er First Mate and sail with him around Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and the San Juan Islands. I've done a lot worse things for my brothers. Like the time... Oh never mind. That was kind of gross.

My learning curve is not quite vertical but steep. I expect this forum to be a key tool for getting up to speed. I don't expect to post much at first but am devouring forum searches.

Hope to see you all around the play ground.
Old 11-02-2020, 21:36   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Not my boat.

I suspect you guys are going to have some fun stories to tell us. Please don't hold back. Welcome to CF!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 22:17   #3

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Welcome. You'll enjoy Puget Sound boating, but the wind is usually on your nose, so plan accordingly. Also, plan around the currents. 2 or 3 knots against you can eat up a lot of the day if you want to get somewhere. I use deepzoom.com as my go-to planner for currents. It's a sweet animated tool layered over the chart. Maybe we'll see you in Quartermaster Harbor sometime!

S/V In Deep.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 22:25   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day from Oz, DW, and welcome to CF. By now you will have realized that there is a lot of good info here, and a lot of, well, not so good info. Your job will be to distinguish between the two categories. When you have done that, a post explaining how would be appreciated!

Seriously, your plan sounds sound to me, so have at it. When something puzzles you, we're here to help.

Jim
Old 12-02-2020, 02:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DWHicks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:39   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHicks View Post
Hello All,

There I was, minding my own business when my 78 year old brother decides he needs to work on his bucket list. Two top items are to live aboard a sailboat and kiss Raquel Welch.

So for now my wife is encouraging me to be my brother's service monkey, er First Mate and sail with him around Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and the San Juan Islands.

Here’s the good news: according to Wiki, Raquel is not married. Perhaps, in addition to giving sailing tips, we could also help you and your brother build a SOLID Raquel database — in which case, here’s my 2 cents: https://purpleclover.littlethings.co...-raquel-welch/
Old 12-02-2020, 10:02   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome to CF! Lots of info here. You'll have to sort the wheat from the chaff just like real life.

If we're sailing in the islands and I see an Endurance 35 with two men and a good looking older woman and she's in a fur lined bikini, I'll invite you over for sundowners - bring your sense of humor!
Old 12-02-2020, 18:23   #8

Man, you all are a hoot!

I have a feeling it's going to cause a few sleepless nights, but I'm forwarding the Raquel link to my brother. You guys are obviously very resourceful. Ha!

And thanks for the tip on Deep Zoom. I've put it on my favorites tab on my phone. I left out that I power boated on Puget Sound and the 'Straights' for over twenty years. I didn't bring it up because they didn't have a sail. I bought a 16' power boat, took the Coast Guard safety class and had to sell the 16' for a 21' so I could carry all the safety gear I learned about.

I learned about tide change dislodging the anchor when I took the kids camping on Eagle Island. (I learned latter that camping there was illegal ) I set the anchor off the shoreline to an inflatable buoy. Feeling quite clever, I ran a rope through the buoy ring then around a tree on the shore and back, attaching the two ends of the rope. I attached the boat to the rope loop and pulled the boat out to the buoy for the night. Yep, you guessed it. We woke up in the morning to find the boat high and dry on the beach. Of course noon high tide was lower than midnight high tide so we had extra time to enjoy ourselves that day while waiting for midnight.

I look forward to learning from this forum and maybe even making a few friends along the way. Here goes nothing!
Old 12-02-2020, 18:41   #9

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

And in the local playground remember that the Colvos Passage pretty much always flows North, regardless of the tides. An interesting local phenomenon, but more work to sail back to your home port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colvos_Passage
Old 12-02-2020, 19:15   #10

Son of a gun, Ron. Right in my back yard and I never knew. It looks like Colvos Passage could be the escape route north from Vashon.

Now I need to find out why this exists and I'm afraid that's your fault!
Old 12-02-2020, 20:47   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Our boat is located in Gig Harbor, when I was sailing up the Colvos in a flood tide... a tug was pushing a barge up the passage. What the heck? I asked around... and then i got enlightened. Or perhaps less dim. ;^)
Old 13-02-2020, 07:30   #12

Well Ron, I didn't find an explanation on the constant northerly flow up the west side of Vashon Island on my internet search, but woke up this morning with this theory; The East Passage gets narrower at the north end of Vashon, creating a low pressure area at the northern opening of Colvos Passage. The combination of the southern tip of Vashon creating a back eddy into Colvos and the Tacoma Narrows restricting the tidal flow would create a high pressure area at the southern open of Colovis.

Wait, am I already breaking the posting rules by rambling on here?
Old 13-02-2020, 07:39   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The northward current in Colvos is due to the main Sound flow at Blake Island being aimed somewhat East and because the flow coming out of Tacoma is aimed WSW putting back pressure from the south end of the passage regardless of main current direction.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 18:13   #14

Thanks Adelie.

I have to ask; Is your signature line a quote from Alfred E Neuman or Hippokleides?
Old 13-02-2020, 23:11   #15

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

Welcome aboard the forum.

Tags
boat