Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2007, 04:59   #1

Boat: 28 ft Cobra 850
Nice to meet you

:cubalibre Hello everyone!

Just logged into this great website.

Planning to buy Sea Rover Sloop 28’ , Builders: Kenneth Evans and Partners, Ramsgate, England, Designer: Kenneth Evans, Build 1967 and to sail it Mediterranean.

The Sea Rover class was designed as a family cruising yacht and built to Lloyds specification.

Little nervous about his age. Any comments and advice will be highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seavover1_28.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1005  
asteroscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 10:53   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!! I'm not familiar with the vessel you are referreing to. Maybe there are others here that are. I do know that age has little to do with how good a boat is. It has more to do with the previous owner's care.

I don't know what's going on with your text in the thread?

Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 11:27   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard!

Font cleaned up!
Quote:
Little nervous about his age. Any comments and advice will be highly appreciated.
It's the maintenance that matters and not so much the age. As long as it's been taken care of and all the gear/rigging is in good shape it'll take care of you.........................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 11:36   #4

Hi JohnL:

Thanks very much for your advice.

Last survey dd 2006 says that just some cosmetic work and ugrading some of the equipment are needed.

Have contacted surveyor recently. He said that "at present time there is no reason why boat should not immediatelly 'put to sea' as it is abvious that shi has for the most part been in the hands of careful owners. However the paint work already started should be ompleted and some attention given to the works of the cracks in the gel coat"

I'll go to Greece during coming week to see the boat personally.

Anyway forty years sounds a bit frightened.

I don't know what going wrong with my previous text in the thread.

Brgds, KR
Old 31-03-2007, 11:51   #5

Hi All:

One more question:

Is the 28foot sloop, forty year old, big and safe enough for ofshore cruising.

Some people think that the 28-foot is too small with too little free board and internal space to cruize offshore and be confortable and safe to live abroad.

I'm direct to this size due of budget reason.

Brgds, KR
Old 31-03-2007, 20:40   #6

Am I in the right box for self-introductions? Hope so.I'm 53yrs old.Owner proprietor of a small 2man hardwoodfloor install,sand finish,refinish business.Lost my 23' Kell shoal boat when I moved to Rhode Island to care for my Mom,10 yrs ago.Ilike old things(boats included)and I recently purchased a 32'Bill Tripp Galaxy32(only 6 made)vintage 1963.I'm not afraid of work;she needs some,mostly cosmetic.1000hrs on a new 3cyl. 27hp,Yanmar Diesel. I do need help/advice on Rhode Island docking/mooring, there seems to be little to nothing available.Already tempted to relocate so I can enjoy this boat and the thrill of sailing once again,but relocating a business is so crippling financially.Drat...Curses...What to do? I recall hearing in a song "keep your day job". It's a simple plea for help,don't ever know if you don't ask,I'm relying on 2 local friends for help and any new friends or acquaintances I may come in contact with. Thanks Mark Williams aurthor@cox.net 401 269 9405 Nice to meet all of ya......Mark
markw9692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 21:21   #7

Question "Think you have no privacy...you're not alone author unknown:privacy is on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw9692
Am I in the right box for self-introductions? Hope so.I'm 53yrs old.Owner proprietor of a small 2man hardwoodfloor install,sand finish,refinish business.Lost my 23' Kell shoal boat when I moved to Rhode Island to care for my Mom,10 yrs ago.Ilike old things(boats included)and I recently purchased a 32'Bill Tripp Galaxy32(only 6 made)vintage 1963.I'm not afraid of work;she needs some,mostly cosmetic.1000hrs on a new 3cyl. 27hp,Yanmar Diesel. I do need help/advice on Rhode Island docking/mooring, there seems to be little to nothing available.Already tempted to relocate so I can enjoy this boat and the thrill of sailing once again,but relocating a business is so crippling financially.Drat...Curses...What to do? I recall hearing in a song "keep your day job". It's a simple plea for help,don't ever know if you don't ask,I'm relying on 2 local friends for help and any new friends or acquaintances I may come in contact with. Thanks Mark Williams aurthor@cox.net 401 269 9405 Nice to meet all of ya......Mark
Think you have no privacy...you're not alone...author unknown...Privacy is you,yours,me and mine out on the water,nothing but pure bliss........
markw9692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 00:54   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha KR,
If the boat is in good condition and has good sails and rigging it is ok to be 28 feet. Many off shore cruises are made on 28 foot or smaller boats.
Kind Regards, JohnL
Mark,
You might want to go to the discussion group, meets and greets and post your own on a new thread. Posting here is on Asteroscop's meets and greets.
Welcome aboard anyway!!
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 14:17   #9

Boat: Beneteau 36
Asteroscop :

Have a look at the Westsail 28

Here's one out sailing...Project BlueSphere - A solo circumnavigation & video documentation of the globe.

Good luck to you.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote