Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 16:34   #1

Boat: Cavalier 39 Mk1
Newbie to posting, and newbie to Cavalier39. 3 questions.

Greetings all, from NZ. Although I've lurked about reading quite a lot of interesting entries this is my first posting, please excuse the lack of correct jargon and abbreviations, and probably protocol. Any pointers gratefully accepted.
I've just bought an old Cavalier 39 here in Auckland. My wife and I having really enjoyed a few cruises of a up to 3 weeks at a time on our trailer-sailer but now it is time to share the cruising fun with the grandkids so we have stepped out and bought the above boat. Unfortunately it needs heaps of work before taking the kids out, starting with taking the boat back to our backyard so that I can work on it. Does anyone know what the approximate weight of the mast is likely to be? It has the permanent footholds mounted on it. It is deck stepped and seems to be sitting on a plate affair. Would it be glued to the plate? I'm thinking of welding up a transport/holding cradle so that I don't pay the hire charges for a cradle, as funds are definitely a factor, to put it mildly.
I have bought it after only 1 good look at it. Judging by some of the comments I've read I expect to get some flack for not employing surveyors etc...
Thanks, etc.
JeremyFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:11   #2

Re: Newbie to posting, and newbie to Cavalier39. 3 questions.

Just to give you an idea: A “Metalmast” (brand) section 9461, which is, so the data tables say, suitable for your kinda boat, weighs about 5.5 lbs per foot (= 8.3 Kg per meter).

Judging from the profile of your boat given in SailboatData your stick is about 42 feet. So the naked mast may be expected to weigh 5.5 x 42 = 230lbs (approx) or a tad over 100Kg. You can probably add 50% for the various clobber you won't be taking off the mast before you transport it, so count on 350lbs or 160 Kg.

When you get the stick down, do weigh it and let us know its weight so we ALL will have a verified data point :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:15   #3

Thanks TrentePieds, appreciated! I probably won't have the means to weigh the mast, but will certainly have an idea based on the sweat factor.
Are the mast bases usually siliconed on? Wondering how much "break out" force to factor in to the lift required.
Cheers!
Old 28-02-2021, 18:27   #4

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFowler View Post
Are the mast bases usually siliconed on? Wondering how much "break out" force to factor in to the lift required.
Cheers!
None. They are not glued in any way to the deck.
The weight of the mast plus the tension on the shrouds is enough to keep it in place. There may be a short base into which the mast extrusion fits, but no glue.
Old 28-02-2021, 18:44   #5

Cheers, EarlWer! That helps.

Tags
posting