Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 14:46   #1

Newbie Takes Up Sailing/Boating

Hello,

I'm a newbie from SC. I've spent only a few hours on boat in my life. I'm a certified pilot and understand that world, but the water is new to me.

My wife and I have been discussing purchasing a power boat (somewhere between 29-34 ft) to use for vacations and weekend trips. The long term goal may very well be a full-time liveaboard situation, but we plan to start with part time live aboard, cruising the ICW.

I'm very familiar with the aircraft market but I know nothing about the boat world. I'm told it's somewhat similar; good used aircraft can be had for decent money. I'm hoping to learn more about this world from the experience I've seen from searching previous posts.

Any help/advice/admonishment would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Perry Sellars
psellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 15:22   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard Perry,

Can't help you with any advice on powerboats (I'm a sailboat guy), but wanted to offer you a welcome. I'm sure there will be plenty of others here who can help you out.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:58   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Hi Perry - not sure what help I can give you - I'm a sailboat man with a deep love of aviation, but not the wherewithal to pursue both! My only words of advice would be to source a boat that can take you beyond the ICW safely if the bug hits you - a deep V (bow entry point) is preferred in this respect - also a flybridge motor boat gives you allweather capability as a dual steering combination - up above with a better all round view in good weather, lower steering station if things get wet or rough - also consider required range, fuel type, single or dual engine etc - for an aviator, why not take up sailing? Same aerofoil/lift principles etc., the wind is free, range practically unlimited, quieter, better sense of achievement in passagemaking . . . anyway best of luck with everything!
mickmul is offline   Reply With Quote