Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2022, 05:42   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Newbie sailor here

For holding tank I'm going Airhead composting so tank will be gone. The Yanmar we be replaced by a Beta 38. Being on plane I get I've a performance boater all my so plane and speed I get so I can always upgrade that weed whacker lol. I am not really buying anything except small things like bosun chair, couple of Roo Hamoocks were on sale lol. If and as far as sailrite I have them saved in my go to list and added the Code Zero along with others. If you want to send me anything brand related just send me your list on a friend or contact and I will add them. I have been following a couple of peeps on Youtube that are doing refits and learned a lot. I reached out to Bud and updated him on ownership and he immediately answered back and sent me the Westsail parts list and offered his help in any way I might need him. I will be updating the electrical before I leave I won't wear out that new engine for that plus that makes me more dependent on marinas. Basicly I'm lookin to just chill and stay in the Caribbean area and when I bored move on or stay on the move lol. Adelie have I missed anything, wait no dodger or bimini yet
LITTLE DIXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:05   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE DIXIE View Post
For holding tank I'm going Airhead composting so tank will be gone.

The Yanmar we be replaced by a Beta 38.

Being on plane I get I've a performance boater all my so plane and speed I get so I can always upgrade that weed whacker lol.

I am not really buying anything except small things like bosun chair, couple of Roo Hamoocks were on sale lol.

If and as far as sailrite I have them saved in my go to list and added the Code Zero along with others.

If you want to send me anything brand related just send me your list on a friend or contact and I will add them. I have been following a couple of peeps on Youtube that are doing refits and learned a lot. I reached out to Bud and updated him on ownership and he immediately answered back and sent me the Westsail parts list and offered his help in any way I might need him. I will be updating the electrical before I leave I won't wear out that new engine for that plus that makes me more dependent on marinas.

Basicly I'm lookin to just chill and stay in the Caribbean area and when I bored move on or stay on the move lol. Adelie have I missed anything, wait no dodger or bimini yet
I've heard good things about the Airhead from folks that want a composting toilette.

Why are you replacing the engine?

The tradeoff between drifter and CodeZero is the drifter will point significantly higher than the CZ and the CZ is somewhat faster off the wind. And the CZ costs about twice what the drifter does and may require a sprit of some kind to get it in front of the pullpit.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 21:11   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Newbie sailor here

Oh, another thing, if you are going to stay in the Caribbean for hurricane season, you want to be near the south end.

1st graphic: The probability that a named storm tropical storm or hurricane will affect a location at some point during hurricane season. Credit: Todd Kimberlain/AOML NOAA

2nd graphic: The busiest areas during each month of hurricane season. Credit: NOAA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5696.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	268584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5695.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	268585  

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 09:31   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Congratulations and welcome aboard. You've been given some good advice. Spectra arguably makes the best watermakers in terms of energy efficiency etc. There are other brands maybe not as good but not that far off for less money.
I looked at Kool Blue and others. Went with Nova Kool. Extremely happy with it. Installation is simple, uses little energy and just works. 1st thing I would tho is add insulation to the inside or outside of your box. Manufacturers cheap out on this and that means vastly reduced efficiency.

I like the wet snails. Salty ass boats that will go anywhere. As far as speed, well, you're not going to outrun a hurricane but that true for most boats. I'd rather have one that can survive a hurricane. Aside from that you're cruising. Not racing.
Don't know your sailing experience but if it's limited, yeah, buy the laser and a wetsuit. Laser teaches you very fast how to trim, read the wind and the water and lets you know when you made a mistake, hence the wetsuit. Lol. Do you have a liferaft? If you're going cruising you might consider one. Coastal, your dinghy could work. Do you have a 406 EPIRB? If not, put that at the top of your list.
Hank on sails. Cute. Old fashioned. Roller furling back to the cockpit means I never go out of the cockpit anymore. Reefing lines come back too except t fly the asymetrical which means it's calm conditions so pretty safe to move around on deck. Jack lines. 3 point tether and harness. Really really good weather gear">foul weather gear. Henri Lloyd.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 09:32   #20

Boat: Cornish Crabber 24

Westsail 32? First sailboat???
My first reaction, pure envy.

My second, is WHOA. That's a lotta boat for a single person and a noob at that. Let's hope you're young, strong, fearless and resourceful.

The Westsail is a sailing animal under the worst conditions, and pay no attention to the "snail" moniker. The difference between going "Fast" and "Slow" in sailing craft such as these (cruisers) is about one knot...maybe even 2. While that might be a consideration for timely landfall, for pure sailing bliss, it's bupkis.
BluePeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 14:58   #21

Boat: Catalina 425 - 43’

I have a new in the box Spectra 200R that I purchased this year ($8,000). Health changed my cruising plans. Leaving on a World Cruise (300 passenger ship instead of my Catalina 425). Will sell the Spectra for $5,000.
Coach Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 21:10   #22

As a sailing instructor I will tell you that the biggest issue for you initially will be close quarter maneuvering. That boat is A. HEAVY. B full keel. C. Has a battering ram spear sticking several feet in front. Right where the 20,000 # mass will point load into what ever is in the way! Imagine 20k# point loaded to a hand full of square inches. Don’t mean to scare you but am trying to impress on you to have some EXPERIENCED help for a while at the very minimum WHILE IN CLOSE QUARTERS. and be sure to have liability insurance.

Great boat though. Enjoy. Tough roomy dependable. But hard to maneuver and slow in light airs and bashing windward. Crack her off in a good breeze and she is not a snail. And you will be comfortable when others are holding on
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 02:22   #23

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

I hear good things about CoolBlue Refridge units. As far as clothes go lol well a bucket works fine for me, gonna keep things simple but has to be dependable. She has 2 135 watt panels that will be updated. Any other things I'm missing please reach out and give me your input and thoughts[/QUOTE]

Welcome!
Highly recommend the Engle brand for a fridge. Uses very little power.
the thermostat control goes from "1" to "5". At "2" its 34F inside.
I wash T shirts then underwear in a bucket with a quart of water & a couple of capfuls of ammonia. Kills the bacteria & dries quickly.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 02:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Oh, another thing, if you are going to stay in the Caribbean for hurricane season, you want to be near the south end.

1st graphic: The probability that a named storm tropical storm or hurricane will affect a location at some point during hurricane season. Credit: Todd Kimberlain/AOML NOAA

2nd graphic: The busiest areas during each month of hurricane season. Credit: NOAA
Thank you so much and this is exactly what I've been looking for. If anything else comes to mind please fire away. I finally hay all my settings back as Google had me locked out for months. but that's another story
Old 28-01-2023, 02:25   #25

Thumbs up Re: Newbie sailor here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disailor View Post
I hear good things about CoolBlue Refridge units. As far as clothes go lol well a bucket works fine for me, gonna keep things simple but has to be dependable. She has 2 135 watt panels that will be updated. Any other things I'm missing please reach out and give me your input and thoughts
Welcome!
Highly recommend the Engle brand for a fridge. Uses very little power.
the thermostat control goes from "1" to "5". At "2" its 34F inside.
I wash T shirts then underwear in a bucket with a quart of water & a couple of capfuls of ammonia. Kills the bacteria & dries quickly.[/QUOTE]

I actually have already 2 lg 6 gal feed buckets and a ( yes new lol) plunger. I have been looking at the Cool Blue and I gotta say they are highly thought of so that was my plan.
Old 28-01-2023, 02:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePeter View Post
Westsail 32? First sailboat???
My first reaction, pure envy.

My second, is WHOA. That's a lotta boat for a single person and a noob at that. Let's hope you're young, strong, fearless and resourceful.

The Westsail is a sailing animal under the worst conditions, and pay no attention to the "snail" moniker. The difference between going "Fast" and "Slow" in sailing craft such as these (cruisers) is about one knot...maybe even 2. While that might be a consideration for timely landfall, for pure sailing bliss, it's bupkis.
Lol thanks I really appreciate your reply. I've been around boats all my, performance only but I've always wanted to sail when I retired. A guy I worked with schooled me on his I was hooked. Now I did consider a few others Hans 33T Baba 30 Pacific Seacraft Mariah and so on but a Westsail 32 I just had to have. That salty look, legandary ruggedness, it's such a cult classic for a reason and mine had to be a factory build. I'm not one who's ever start with a boat and try to sell and move up I just throw a finger in the air make it work lol. This will be my as it's just me so plenty of room but not huge and well built. I figured the hardest is finding my dream finding sailors to show me the ropes will a bit easier I have already had a few legit offers which is another reason the sailng community is a great community always a smile advice and a helping. Hard to find nowadays
Old 28-01-2023, 02:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
As a sailing instructor I will tell you that the biggest issue for you initially will be close quarter maneuvering. That boat is A. HEAVY. B full keel. C. Has a battering ram spear sticking several feet in front. Right where the 20,000 # mass will point load into what ever is in the way! Imagine 20k# point loaded to a hand full of square inches. Don’t mean to scare you but am trying to impress on you to have some EXPERIENCED help for a while at the very minimum WHILE IN CLOSE QUARTERS. and be sure to have liability insurance.

Great boat though. Enjoy. Tough roomy dependable. But hard to maneuver and slow in light airs and bashing windward. Crack her off in a good breeze and she is not a snail. And you will be comfortable when others are holding on
Thank you so much for the input and never scare me with honesty. I'm open to any help and the more upfront the better. I just wanted my first boat to be my last (in a good way lol) as in no upgrading her. Any info whether good or bad or what to look out for please don't hold back.
Old 28-01-2023, 03:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Congratulations and welcome aboard. You've been given some good advice. Spectra arguably makes the best watermakers in terms of energy efficiency etc. There are other brands maybe not as good but not that far off for less money.
I looked at Kool Blue and others. Went with Nova Kool. Extremely happy with it. Installation is simple, uses little energy and just works. 1st thing I would tho is add insulation to the inside or outside of your box. Manufacturers cheap out on this and that means vastly reduced efficiency.

I like the wet snails. Salty ass boats that will go anywhere. As far as speed, well, you're not going to outrun a hurricane but that true for most boats. I'd rather have one that can survive a hurricane. Aside from that you're cruising. Not racing.
Don't know your sailing experience but if it's limited, yeah, buy the laser and a wetsuit. Laser teaches you very fast how to trim, read the wind and the water and lets you know when you made a mistake, hence the wetsuit. Lol. Do you have a liferaft? If you're going cruising you might consider one. Coastal, your dinghy could work. Do you have a 406 EPIRB? If not, put that at the top of your list.
Hank on sails. Cute. Old fashioned. Roller furling back to the cockpit means I never go out of the cockpit anymore. Reefing lines come back too except t fly the asymetrical which means it's calm conditions so pretty safe to move around on deck. Jack lines. 3 point tether and harness. Really really good foul weather gear. Henri Lloyd.
Thanks for all the info and let me start by saying feel free to send any and input you have I am very appreciative of it all. well I have bought insulation and it's a closed cell and will be reolacing the ols thin foamy stuff with the 1/16 thick 4x8 white pebble textured panels to gey a little light in. Now aas far as emergency EPIRB 406 is already on her as is a liferaft tether harness and so much more. She came fully equipped but I will do new bottom paint reseal all the portlights and more. The dinghy is an 8.8 Achiles 5hp Tomatsu if outboard I'm a Merc guy but it's only 2 years old. Anyother info/advice fire it my way. I'm a newbie and won't BS you with any lies to sound good lol

Tags
newbie, sail