Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Newbie in New Orleans

If you can sail Mobile bay you can sail anywhere. There is a large sailing community in the area, and the best Boatwright in the country (US Olympic BW for 20 years or so) just south of you.

If you need any help just yell, I can put you in contact with surveyors, yards, locals, ect...

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10   #17

I started sailing at 42 and I have now well over 1000 hours racing and over 15 000 miles cruising with sea time over 18 months and am now 47.

If you want to learn and get into sailing for the lowest cost racing racing racing is the only way to go in my opinion. Get over any prejudice you have against it just find the right skipper and boat to join, if the captain is a screamer find another boat. Where I race there are a few aggressive skippers but most of them are really cool people.

Race Race Race, and off to the bar for a social drink after a great afternoon on the water.... hard to beat and doesn't cost much.

Have fun,
Anthony.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:11   #18

Boat: Mariner 36' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
If you can sail Mobile bay you can sail anywhere. There is a large sailing community in the area, and the best Boatwright in the country (US Olympic BW for 20 years or so) just south of you.

If you need any help just yell, I can put you in contact with surveyors, yards, locals, ect...
Thanks Stumble. We will take you up on your offer as a source for good advice!
Backloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:16   #19

Stumble has convinced me to give racing a try. I think my prejudice is that when I see racers, it looks high tension. I get that enough at work. Lol. But I'm going to give it a try.

Most of the advice I have gotten (outside of this thread) is to put off buying a boat until it becomes more inconvenient to not have one than it is to have one. It's tough to not look at boats though!!
msfxJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I put off buying a sailboat until I found an area that didn't rent them out cheaply.
Nicknames: There was one sailboat owner I knew that went by "Captain Splash" because of the number of times he fell in the water walking down the dock after visiting the bar. Don't think I'd ever seen him dry or sober.
Old 05-12-2013, 13:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I put off buying a sailboat until I found an area that didn't rent them out cheaply. Nicknames: There was one sailboat owner I knew that went by "Captain Splash" because of the number of times he fell in the water walking down the dock after visiting the bar. Don't think I'd ever seen him dry or sober.
Thanks. I really want a boat but don't want to rush into it, especially just starting out. There are so many options and I think I need more experience to make a good decision. It's tough to wait though knowing that I can't just go out when I have some free time.

Nicknames are a funny thing whether chosen or given. We had a neighbor lovingly referred to as Dr Scotch. I hated when I had to introduce him because I could never remember his real name when put on the spot!
Old 05-12-2013, 13:05   #22

We look forward to seeing you out there racing. Wed nights in NOLA are a highlight of our weeks during racing season. Seriously, its a lot of fun.
Old 05-12-2013, 17:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We look forward to seeing you out there racing. Wed nights in NOLA are a highlight of our weeks during racing season. Seriously, its a lot of fun.
Cool. Any tips on getting with a good (and patient) crew?
Old 05-12-2013, 17:49   #24

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
A lot can be said for a trailerable boat with some the basic comforts, if you have a place to keep it. The gulf coast east of you has a lot to offer.

A weekend in Madisonville makes for a good trip. Watch the weather though.

While crewing a boat in a race can be a lot of fun, it does not compare to being the one making the decisions.
Old 05-12-2013, 18:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfxJeep View Post
Cool. Any tips on getting with a good (and patient) crew?
Yeah, when you arrive just start talking to the people at the sign up table and explain that you're green and need a boat with a patient captain to help you learn, they'll ask around for you and find you a spot. I'd also get in touch with the folks that know a lot of people and ask them to help you find a boat. Buzzy or Glenn on Quest.
Old 05-12-2013, 20:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
A lot can be said for a trailerable boat with some the basic comforts, if you have a place to keep it. The gulf coast east of you has a lot to offer. A weekend in Madisonville makes for a good trip. Watch the weather though. While crewing a boat in a race can be a lot of fun, it does not compare to being the one making the decisions.
I live in Midcity so not a lot of room for a trailer. I'm married so I don't make decisions anymore. Lol
Old 05-12-2013, 20:40   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Yeah, when you arrive just start talking to the people at the sign up table and explain that you're green and need a boat with a patient captain to help you learn, they'll ask around for you and find you a spot. I'd also get in touch with the folks that know a lot of people and ask them to help you find a boat. Buzzy or Glenn on Quest.
Buzzy seems to be the one to know!
Old 05-12-2013, 22:39   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfxJeep View Post
Buzzy seems to be the one to know!
She is defiantly the den mother of the mad house...

Glen on quest would be a good call, any of the Easterly 30's are good boats with relaxed crews. You might eventually move on to a boat that uses a spinnaker, but you will learn a lot with them. Really most of the boats are the lake are good, and there aren't many I would stear people away from.

Finding a place to store a boat is getting a little tricky since the harbor hasn't been rebuilt and there are a limited number of slips, and both yacht clubs dry storage is currently full. But there isn't much of a waiting list, figure 3-6 month turn over. The price is pretty reasonable for NOYC dry storage for a member... I think $1.00/month/foot, but I haven't looked in a while.

I would recommend trying to get out before the Wednesday night sailing starts back just because you would have to wait until day light savings switches back. There will be a lot of racing going on before then, and a lot of opportunities to help with race committee (not that I get stuck with RC duty all the time ).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
She is defiantly the den mother of the mad house... Glen on quest would be a good call, any of the Easterly 30's are good boats with relaxed crews. You might eventually move on to a boat that uses a spinnaker, but you will learn a lot with them. Really most of the boats are the lake are good, and there aren't many I would stear people away from. Finding a place to store a boat is getting a little tricky since the harbor hasn't been rebuilt and there are a limited number of slips, and both yacht clubs dry storage is currently full. But there isn't much of a waiting list, figure 3-6 month turn over. The price is pretty reasonable for NOYC dry storage for a member... I think $1.00/month/foot, but I haven't looked in a while. I would recommend trying to get out before the Wednesday night sailing starts back just because you would have to wait until day light savings switches back. There will be a lot of racing going on before then, and a lot of opportunities to help with race committee (not that I get stuck with RC duty all the time ).
I'm not averse to a little committee work. I definitely don't want to wait too long. As soon as the holidays are done I will have a lot more time.