Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 11:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F 3 Cabin
Newbie in Need...L450F needs a home on the hard in the S.E. USA

Hello CF! I’m crazy excited that mine and my wife’s last few years of planning is finally coming together.

I have been scouring this forum for years and have just purchased our family cruising boat, a 2016 Lagoon 450F owner’s version for us and our soon to be 6 kids. (My wife is due in 5 weeks). Every boat is a compromise; but this one checked lots of our needs.

Mr. or Mrs. Moderator, where would you recommend me posting my call for help in finding recommendations where the boat can stay on the hard from now until early January in the Carolinas, USA? She’s a fat sailing cat and I know that limits her potential yards. I live in California currently tying up loose ends, and awaiting a baby, before we move aboard in January and don’t know the east coast at all.

The boat is currently near St. Martin in the Caribbean. Our backup plan is having her delivered to Aruba and put on the hard.

Thanks!
Cruising4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19   #2

Re: Newbie in Need...L450F needs a home on the hard in the S.E. USA

Hurricane season has started. If your boat can make it to the east coast USA there are a couple of yards in the Chesapeake that will take a 26ft beam but may need to winterize Nov - Jan. Further south in Georgia is Thunderbolt Marina. Then in Florida St Augustine, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale etc etc. Or you could leave it in the water at any number of Marinas. Depends on your insurance policy zone limits. It may be a bit late to get it to Aruba (getting back from Aruba is also a consideration), but doable from St Martin I guess. It could be kept on the hard strapped down in Freeport in the Bahamas or Marina Del Ray in Puerto Rico. Again, check with your insurer for named storm limitations. There are plenty of options, what drives these decisions often is what the insurer will cover and for what deductibles are in play for the region.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:29   #3

Thanks for the thorough reply. Aruba’s distance south has been makin me weary; especially since our family wants to start in the Florida area.

The boat was on the hard for Irma in St. Martin, Dutch side, strapped to blocks, but not enough time to demast (the owners uses her for day charter out of St. Bart year round. The two piece mast buckled and was replaced with all new rigging...something I’d like to avoid again ��. Yes, I am working with the insurance broker to answer these zone limitations, but the Independence Holiday is slowing things this week stateside (Happy 4th of ye be American��).

I’ll investigate those locations you mentioned.

Sincere thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Congratulations on getting your boat!

And that Lagoon is a nice one.

In early June I helped an owner deliver his Lagoon 52F from Charleston to New York City, sailing offshore the 640nm. We did have one stop.

We stopped for a repair in Beaufort NC. There were several marinas there, some had spaces for large boats and a few I saw had large cats (52’, 48’ etc.) in berths at the docks, and large monohulls (power and sail) on docks. There is also a mooring field. We used the services of an excellent Yanmar engine mechanic too. The berth for the 29’ wide, 52’ long cat was surprisingly inexpensive too. There is another small town, just a few miles across the bay, called “Morehead City NC” that may have facilities for you.

Of course those are all “in the water” solutions, and in North Carolina (not the Chesapeake). However, Beaufort NC is a very nice small town (it is highly regarded by the boaters and many CF members), and it caters to boaters (sports fishing and sailing and visiting transiting yachts). While I do not know of marinas that can haul your size boat, as I was not looking for that then, I suspect they do exist there because of the many large yachts and many boats I saw.

I can send you a PM with the names of the nice marina where we stayed (it has a very nice pool and nice facilities) and the name of the outstanding mechanic, if you want. Simply send me a PM if you (or anyone) wants that info.

I can also tell you about a very nice, very convenient, “family owned” marina in the Chesapeake, in Norfolk Virginia. While it would be very nice as a place to keep your boat in the water as it is ice free location (and they do have space for large cats) they do not have a lift for a boat that size. So, you would not be able to haul it out at that marina. That said, they do have some liveaboards there, and very nice facilities and it is inexpensive too. So, it may be something worth considering, instead of hauling out, especially as you may want to live in a marina first when you get your boat, in order for you and your family to have access to things like nice clean showers, full kitchen, hot tub, big BBQ grill, etc. The marina I am mentioning has all of that, and is only 10 minutes drive to the Norfolk airport, and close to good shopping, chandlery, etc.

And, you should consider the cost of hauling out a boat that size, as large cats can be costly to haul out. By that I mean the cost to haul it out should be balanced with the cost to keep it in the water in a low cost marina, in a safe location.

Finally, if you (or a Captain you hire) ever need help moving your boat, I can help as crew. But, I am not a delivery captain, and I do not compete with them. I help owners or delivery captains, but as experienced crew.

I hope this helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17   #5

Check this post #5 & 15 Remember your mast is 75ft high so you will be unable to go too far inland to some marinas as a lot of bridges are fixed at 65 ft , there are a few opening bridges like St Augustine. We haul out every year (4 times now) at George Town Yacht basin Inc in northern Maryland up the Sassafras River it has a 30ft wide travel lift and pretty protected.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-180066.html
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 09:16   #6

Thanks both for the reply. That multihull east coast list cemented the decision to haul out and store in Aruba until January. What a whirlwind calling so many locations.

Thanks!

Tags
on the hard

« Hi all! | Greetings »