Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 08:56   #1

Boat: hunter320, 2001, Endurance32
Newbie from NJ, USA

Hello to all ... C&S is informative and lots of interesting stories !!! I'm spending too much time reading through old posts ... it is getting in the way of getting any chores done!

A little about me .... I sail a 2001, Hunter 320 with a 4'3" draft in Barnegat bay, NJ - I bought it new after sailing a few times on a friend's boat. I bought it while I was under 'mentally unstable' times (divorce will do that to anynone) ... it worked out that it was the best decision I made (probably saved my sanity). As a new sailor, I found all the shallow waters on the bay - I am a pro at getting off when I get agrounded!!

Last few years, I charted cats in the BVI & St. Martin (love the water - I never see the bottom in Barnegat!!) and last year, I got a chance to sail a Jeanneau 51 from Conn to the BVI - a 11 day sail. I am now a bluewater sailor convert - I love the feeling of sailing in the open water!!! Now, I am looking for a bluewater boat to sail to the VI spend the winter there and bring it back to the little pond (Barnegat Bay) for the summer .... I will posting some questions to get some feed back on a bluewater boat.

My choices are somwhat limited due to shallow waters in Barnegat bay, and the entrance to my lagoon. Selling my house is out of the questions; looks like my choices are limited to a K/CB option. My current choice (new boat) are Tartan 37 or 41 with a K/CB option.

I will be posting some questions on ...
  • Carbon Mast - really that bad? I think it is a great idea!
  • K/CB option - can't find the specifics on how it works, and problems, etc - particularly newer Tartan. I will be contacting Tartan for some drawings & specs and options.
  • Tartan 37 & 41 - bluewater sailboat?
  • Keeping a boat in the water year around vs winter storage on blocks - pros and cons. I keep it year around (w/bubbler) - I am a believer in water storage.
Much appreciated if anyone can kindly steer me to any old posts on these subjects.

Thanks in adv.

Rick
endurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:37   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hello from Texas,
Sounds like you are adventure central! My parents sailed a 37 foot Tartan CB hull #2, around the world. So yes, they are sea worthy I am a big fan of the Tartans, she has a great motion offshore and points really well. I can give you their email if you'd like to talk to them, just PM me.
Welcome to the forum!
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:53   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rick,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you reading and posting here.
The only negatives I've heard about carbon masts is that attaching gear with screws or bolts might compromise the strength and cause it to split? So you might have to find some different methods to attach hardware. I don't know but that's what I've heard.
I like Tartans too but prefer the older versions.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote