Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2012, 22:20   #1

Boat: ....still a dream...
Newbie from Malaysia

Hello....Im new here. Never sailed before but dreaming of doing it one day.
i am from Malaysia, base in the city Kuala Lumpur. Have not come across any sailing school closeby where I can do weekend class or something. If there's anyone who can help get me started woukd be much appeciated. I will be available for weekend training as a crew.
mu0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 01:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Newbie from Malaysia

Hi and welcome to Cruisers Forum.

You may have to do some serious research if you want to find cruising yachts in Malaysia, and when you do they may not need crew.

However please don't be discouraged. There are a number of Malaysian Marinas frequented by cruisers. Have a hunt on the net and see what's near you.

Most cruisers seem to start by dreaming of a boat and sailing, then not letting reality from get in their way. Once you get used to it it's really quite nice.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 04:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mu0202.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 05:27   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu0202 View Post
i am from Malaysia, base in the city Kuala Lumpur. Have not come across any sailing school closeby where I can do weekend class or something. If there's anyone who can help get me started woukd be much appeciated. I will be available for weekend training as a crew.
Only been to Malaysia a few times, and then only briefly (and sans Boat) - but somewhere that I do intend to have good look around one day, I really liked the place / people .

From memory, the west coast seems to be more popular for folk cruising through (but google will tell you more!) - appreciate that KL is a little way away, but if you have own car would consider driving to wherever Google suggests looking and then get chatting to folks.

A very good chance that could p/x a lift in your car / your local knowledge (even if not actually very local!) for some seatime / informal lessons - even if it is only a run to a supermarket or a drop back into KL......A first hand heads up on the hows and whys in another country is always valuable - and IME opinions from the more people the better, so your knowledge will have value to folks with boats.....also having a car makes you more valuable .

Being willing to part with some beer likely to swing any deal .......well, would certainly work for me .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 06:22   #5

Boat: ....still a dream...

Thanks Gentlemen for your responds.....I'm encouraged by you to chase this dream.

And to David (great points) and all the boaters who swing-by/stopover near where I am (Port Klang or Port Dickson would be nearest), I am more than happy to come meet up bringing chilled beers and best Nasi Lemak (google it - you'll definitely call me), and show you around KL in exchange for getting me nearer to my dream one way or the other. Weekend's the best time for me....call or sms me at: +6o-12-two-two-two-o2o2 (email: motz88 at gmail dot company.

Cheers! Motz (mu0202)
mu0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 06:43   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu0202 View Post
Hi neighbour, PD should be your first place to call if you are near, but Royal Selangor in Kelang might be of help too. There is a new marina near Port Lumut/Pangkor where you can get some info and there is a sailing school that offers RYA courses in Langkawi.
Old 22-04-2012, 20:49   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It's good to have you here.
kind regards,

Tags
Malaysia