Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 01:54   #1

Newbie from Australia

Firstly hi and thanks for allowing me to join.
I’m in the market for a yacht but I find it very difficult to get sound advice or paid advice to help me in finding the right boat for me. If I speak to a broker they steer me towards a boat they have for sale.
I do not want to go into this decision blind folded trying to make out I know what I’m doing when I don’t.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Johnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Newbie from Australia

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Johnathon.

Tell us a little more, about yourself, the boat you think you might be seeking, and the type of sailing you anticipate doing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Johnathon.

Tell us a little more, about yourself, the boat you think you might be seeking, and the type of sailing you anticipate doing.
Here I go...
Sailed a lot as a kid and grew up using power boats fishing etc.
I’m a fifo worker so I’m after a larger comfortable boat that I could sail reasonably easily by myself and live on every second week.
I would like to affiliate with a club and learn to sail my boat ‘well’ and over two years or more start to sail abroad when I’m confident enough I’ve learnt enough.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:14   #4

I’ve looked at a 52 Irwin and many other boats but being inexperienced I feel I’m wasting a lot of my own time.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:26   #5

What state are you going to keep it ? Where are you looking?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:03   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Johnathon, 52 is a big boat to handle by yourself. Why such a big yacht? Modern production yachts around 40 feet have tons of space, easily three times the space your donga has.
Where will you keep the yacht? What about maintenance etc? Even some of my wealthiest clients have ended up down sizing from their fantasy monster yacht to a more affordable and easily handled size.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:08   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Welcome!

Have you looked at a Jeanneao SO 409 or 419? I could easily live on one. I also single handed a lot on her.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:23   #8

Johnathon, Cool Hand Lukes choices look pretty good. The Jeaneau 419 is 12 feet shorter and only 2 feet narrower than the Irwin 52. I think the Jeaneau would be a lot more fun to sail as well.
The end of the day you have to list your priorities and go from there.
Cheers
Old 05-04-2021, 04:54   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Jonathan, I tend to agree with previous comments that an Irwin 52 is large boat, and more a handful to handle compared with newer smaller boats. Having said that, I sail that kind of boat size wise and rigging wise, mostly singlehandly. So, it is possible.
Note, and generalising here, all newer boats have relatively more interior space due to being wider and carry that width further aft, or in colloquial terms, they have a fatter backside.

If I take an approx. selling price of the boat you mentioned (Irwin 52) being aus $150-$200k, then you have plenty of other choices, boats that offer only a little less space but sail better, likely less maintenance, and cheaper to moor or put in a marina.

When checking boats for sale between 40 and 50 ft on Yachthub....https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...oceania&cat=16
I see a a large choice of Beneteau, Bavaria and the like, and some older more traditional boats like a Venus 46, a nice Young 43, Crealock 40, or some more modern Adams. BTW to live on board with one person a 40 ft will be more than big enough!!! You should also check boats from 36 to 40 ft.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
What state are you going to keep it ? Where are you looking?
I’ll keep it in Western Australia.
I’ve been looking everywhere.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:11   #11

Pretty nice looking Duncanson 40 advertised in SA at the moment. Deck Saloon too.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Hi Jonathan, I tend to agree with previous comments that an Irwin 52 is large boat, and more a handful to handle compared with newer smaller boats. Having said that, I sail that kind of boat size wise and rigging wise, mostly singlehandly. So, it is possible.
Note, and generalising here, all newer boats have relatively more interior space due to being wider and carry that width further aft, or in colloquial terms, they have a fatter backside.

If I take an approx. selling price of the boat you mentioned (Irwin 52) being aus $150-$200k, then you have plenty of other choices, boats that offer only a little less space but sail better, likely less maintenance, and cheaper to moor or put in a marina.

When checking boats for sale between 40 and 50 ft on Yachthub....https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...oceania&cat=16
I see a a large choice of Beneteau, Bavaria and the like, and some older more traditional boats like a Venus 46, a nice Young 43, Crealock 40, or some more modern Adams. BTW to live on board with one person a 40 ft will be more than big enough!!! You should also check boats from 36 to 40 ft.
Thanks. Do you see anything in WA that would be suitable?
Old 05-04-2021, 13:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Pretty nice looking Duncanson 40 advertised in SA at the moment. Deck Saloon too.
I looked it up. Nice boat well within my budget.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:48   #14

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

as a response to post #12.....will check things out here in WA.

Yes, buying a boat locally is most economical, as you can save travel costs to and from. Being local you also can spot more easily anomalies in the boats for sale ie what owner/broker says, and the real story. Lastly delivery is much cheaper. Not only the delivery cost in time and $$, but generally many repairs are needed, in out of away places, dealing with people you do not know, and will never meet again. Not only repairs, but also you may need to buy additions/replacements you would otherwise consider only after months or years of ownership: liferaft, adding AIS, new rigging, upgrading groundtackle, HF radio/satphone etc.

Other note..... buying a boat can take time, often years, depending on how much you target a particular model or type, and how you want to have a bargain.

Lastly, if you were to travel interstate or New Zealand, you might get caught in a state border lockdown.
Note: there are a lot of boats in Oz, NZ and Asia owned by people overseas who were caught with Covid-19 travel restrictions: boat this side of the world, owners on the other side. As from today, Ozzies can travel to NZ again.
Old 06-04-2021, 00:02   #15

Johnathon you will find this Benny below has twice the space of the old Duncanson. You don't mention what your priorities are and where you want to end up cruising?
Cheers
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...nis-390/259601

Tags
Australia