Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 20:55   #1

Newbie from Alabama(NW), Hello!

Hello. I'm new to this whole idea. I'm 22 years old, currently unemployed due to terrible economy and a middle-of-nowhere area.
I enjoy motorcycles and atv's, and anything to do with the water, whether it be swimming, fishing, canoeing, boating, or PWC.

I actually got to looking at the whole sailboat idea as a mobile type of living space. Here's a quick rundown of the story! First I was looking at houseboats, too expensive. So I thought "Well there are probably some cabin cruisers that are affordable, and could be livable" and I got to looking around at boats, and somehow I ended up on a sailboat page instead of a cabin cruiser page (don't ask me how!) and saw some of them are really roomy, moreso than a cabin cruiser (Darned inboards are the devil).
I've always enjoyed looking at sailboats but I've never really researched getting one because like other things, I always assumed that even used ones were out of my price range.

Been thinking about going for the "simple life" for the passed few months. Don't know why I didn't before I bought my motorcycles. Oh well, like they say, Hindsight is 20-20. Thinking a sailboat would be my best idea since I love to travel, I love to fish, and I need an affordable portable housing option to travel for work.

(Enough about me for this single post, Want to know anything else ask! Going to go ask a couple more research questions elsewhere on the forums. I'll be checking back here often.)
mr_nice_guy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 21:04   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
welcome to the forum!

do they have karma down there in Alabama? If so, think about the incredible karma you'd generate by swapping all those motorcyles, ATVs, and PWCs in for a sailboat.

Such a thing could change your life. Think about that!
Old 25-04-2010, 21:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
welcome to the forum!

do they have karma down there in Alabama? If so, think about the incredible karma you'd generate by swapping all those motorcyles, ATVs, and PWCs in for a sailboat.

Such a thing could change your life. Think about that!
Actually that's kind of my plans. I've got a wrecked sportbike (wrecked it in February), a good sportbike, dune buggy, ATV, and 3 Volkswagen beetles to sell.
That won't net me much but I figure a start is a start.
Got them to play but it's impossible when you no longer find work, and have no money to play.

Never sailed a day in my life though. Hoping to network with someone and get some experience before I end up with a boat. If not I guess I'll get a boat and ... Get someone whom previously sailed to give me some assistance and lessons.

With a rocky economy and currently unemployed, The only way I'll do it is get a boat that I can pay cash for. Financing isn't worth the hassle.
Nice to meet(ish?) you. kudos to you for the comment also. Hope to hear more from you.
Old 25-04-2010, 23:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum...mr_nice_guy228
We've had several folks and have several who have turned to a sailboat for a Mobile living space...lots of discussions here about initial costs operating cost and maintenance costs.
If you have the time do some searching....I recommend using the search tool and then go to the Google box...you'll be amazed at the amount of info. you'll find.
Again...welcome.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 00:31   #5

Yes I've been reading the forums for about 3 days now, just made myself sign up earlier however.
First thought was to get a bluewater boat, but that would come at a significantly higher cost. Still too early to decide for sure, but I'm hoping for a shallow draft boat, so I can sail at a wide variety of places.

Thanks for the hospitality, and God bless!
Old 27-04-2010, 18:50   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you thinking about sailing. You might check out a couple books from the library on the subject or maybe even think about a basic sailing course. There's a couple links behind my signature and a good book recommendation.
A trailer sailer like the Catalina 22, MacGregor 21 or 26 might be a good choice. Very shallow draft when you bring up the centerboard and only requires a 6hp outboard to get you around when the wind is not getting you anywhere. Since it is trailerable you can stow it in your yard or maybe someone else's yard.
regards,
Old 27-04-2010, 20:12   #7

Boat: Bristol 34
Sailboats can easily turn into a lifestyle. As you are financially challenged at the moment, your lifestyle living aboard a small boat (say 25' - 30') would be on the "minimalist" side. However, there is a lot to be said for that simple lifestyle - independence, self reliance, living by your wits and most important - learning to be many things you never thought you would be. A decent Little boat can range in price from a free "fixer-upper" to a reasonably sound and equipped boat for $5k-$10k. Do a little more research and reading first. Be realistic about prices involved in keeping a boat afloat though (just wander through a West Marine store to get an idea - everything on a boat is twice or three times the cost of a comparable household or auto part). Buying and living aboard a sailboat may not be the right choice for you, but it could just as easily be a truly rewarding and life changing decision. Finally, if you are willing to do a hard day's work for minimal pay, you can always turn a buck doing odd jobs for those sailors on the other end of the lifestyle spectrum. Check out Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei as it is a wealth of information on sailing and living aboard a small boat.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 21:26   #8

SkiprJohn: Found a San Juan 21 racer fixerupper for $1600 w/ outboard and trailer, and a MacGreggor 26D ready to go for 5000. More than likely going for the 26D.

rover88: Yeah. Boating in general is a lifestyle, sailing just makes goals that much more achievable. I've been involved in boating all of my life, where it be fishing, tubing, skiing, or just cruising around the waterway with some friends listening to the stereo.
Basically my choices are living a minimalist life on a boat right now, or continue living a minimalist life where I'm at, not having any fun or going anywhere in life. It's pretty bad as far as jobs go, and this seems to be the only logical way of traveling for work. Every other option involves sinking all you make from a job into rent and utilities. At least this way I can do something I enjoy and get away from the rat race of modern society.
It sure beats buying an acre lot and building a cabin somewhere with no utilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
Sailboats can easily turn into a lifestyle. As you are financially challenged at the moment, your lifestyle living aboard a small boat (say 25' - 30') would be on the "minimalist" side. However, there is a lot to be said for that simple lifestyle - independence, self reliance, living by your wits and most important - learning to be many things you never thought you would be. A decent Little boat can range in price from a free "fixer-upper" to a reasonably sound and equipped boat for $5k-$10k. Do a little more research and reading first. Be realistic about prices involved in keeping a boat afloat though (just wander through a West Marine store to get an idea - everything on a boat is twice or three times the cost of a comparable household or auto part). Buying and living aboard a sailboat may not be the right choice for you, but it could just as easily be a truly rewarding and life changing decision. Finally, if you are willing to do a hard day's work for minimal pay, you can always turn a buck doing odd jobs for those sailors on the other end of the lifestyle spectrum. Check out Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei as it is a wealth of information on sailing and living aboard a small boat.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:34   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
At 22 a tent might do for the adventurous, but I suggest you develop a list of minimum requirements, such as:
Legal toilet, with a holding tank or a portapotty with a large tank.
Galley with sink, stove, cold storage and potable water.
Reliable engine. preferably one that can recharge you batteries without a hassle.
Then you should write a nice-to-have list, like:
A hot shower (that involves some complications, like a water heater, a pump and a way to run them.
Standing headroom somewhere inside.
Heat.

It should look nice enough outside to not be mistaken for a derelict.

Unless you are going to live in it on a trailer, you might not need a trailer (and a truck to pull it.)

If you have any manual skills, you might investigate the Shipyards in New Orleans. You will need reliable transportation to get to work since its unlikely you could find a place to keep the boat within walking distance.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 20:25   #10

EDIT: [A tent won't do, since it's not just a camping trip, a sailboat is the logical way to travel offgrid(ish)]

It's not just an "adventure" mindset. It's a complete lifestyle change to the frugal side.
Porta-Potty will be fine for the 'business' since it's just one person onboard.
I don't really need all the stuff, I can make do with an alcohol stove, and water stored. Won't be eating anything needing refrigeration so that point is moot.
I'm planning on solar and wind generators so the power thing is taken care of. A small 2 stroke outboard is fine. I've always been a 2 stroke believer anyway.
Hot shower?! Room temperature is fine with me, or slightly heated by the sun. Water bladder hanging up for a shower.
Standing headroom? Plenty of that on the deck.
Heat? I'll figure that out later.
Transportation to get to work? My Schwinn.
I've already found a boat I want so I believe getting a salvaged boat would end up costing more in the long run.

Appreciate the criticism. Keeps peoples minds working instead of dormant and slowly dying.
Hit me up with any thing else you come up with.

And the boat I found already has a trailer and electronics. I'll probably keep the trailer and have someone store it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
At 22 a tent might do for the adventurous, but I suggest you develop a list of minimum requirements, such as:
Legal toilet, with a holding tank or a portapotty with a large tank.
Galley with sink, stove, cold storage and potable water.
Reliable engine. preferably one that can recharge you batteries without a hassle.
Then you should write a nice-to-have list, like:
A hot shower (that involves some complications, like a water heater, a pump and a way to run them.
Standing headroom somewhere inside.
Heat.

It should look nice enough outside to not be mistaken for a derelict.

Unless you are going to live in it on a trailer, you might not need a trailer (and a truck to pull it.)

If you have any manual skills, you might investigate the Shipyards in New Orleans. You will need reliable transportation to get to work since its unlikely you could find a place to keep the boat within walking distance.
Old 29-04-2010, 05:23   #11
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
NiceGuy, I don't believe that Sandy was trying to criticize you - quite to the contrary, I think he was making a suggestion for someone who started out by saying that he was not only considering the purchase of a sailboat, but one to use as a 'living space' - i.e., a liveaboard. Yes, you can get by without standing headroom (in the right climate), although experience taught me fairly early on that it is very nice to be able to stand up, even if only for putting on jeans or in bad weather.

I have no idea what kind of capital you can raise in selling your collection of bikes, but it strikes me that even at a price of $5,000.00 (or less) you should be able to get a shoal-draft boat with full headroom and a number of amenities that will be missing in a trailer-sailer. In any event, welcome to the forum, good luck and fair winds!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 05:40   #12

Sorry if I made criticism sound like a bad thing, perhaps I should have added "constructive" beforehand.
Bikes and volkswagens combined, I'd say a safe estimate is 10-11 grand. Not much.
The boat I have found is local owned, and known to have been kept up pretty well. MacGregor 26D. I don't think I'll be making a bad decision when I purchase it.
The upside to this whole idea, is I don't really have any debt. Just a cell phone bill per month, and whatever it costs me to eat. That's a good thing as there's no employment up here in my area.
I'm looking to make the best of life without staying in the rat race.
Old 29-04-2010, 06:18   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Ten to eleven grand isn't terrible. I would take my time before buying the MacGregor, to be honest. They are decent bang for the buck, to be sure, but I suspect not the best suited for a liveaboard. Construction is very light and sailing performance is marginal. Have you looked at some shoal keel boats (or keel/centerboard) in the 27 to 30 foot range? There should be a number out there within your budget.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alabama