Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 02:30   #1

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet
Newbie Boatie from Sydney Australia

Hi Guys and Gals, I'm a sixty-something fella with an itch to learn to sail. Apart from two days being taught the ropes on a 36-foot yacht on Lake Macquarie (north of Sydney) I hadn't been under sail since I did that once, and only once, when I was a teenager... as a guest on some (now-forgotten) schoolfriend's family sailboat.

Those two days about a month ago were a paid-for Helmsman course, but the instruction was one-on-one from a competent trainer. And I know I have a lot more to learn before I can skipper a sailboat without endangering myself or others.

I hope it isn't some "second childhood" thing, but time is the only thing that will prove that one way of the other, for sure.

My wife thinks I'm "off with the fairies", but she thinks any hobby that interests me is silly or inappropriate. But I think anything that gets me some hours of quiet time is a magical escape.
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 02:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Newbie Boatie from Sydney Australia

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 02:51   #3

Thank you, Gord May. Much appreciated.

By the way, I added a photo of myself to my User Control Panel, but it isn't showing an avatar here next to my post. Any suggestion what I should do?

Arrgh. Fixed it. A clear case of RTFM... (Read The Fruity Manual).

Cheers,

Pommy Dave
Old 23-05-2016, 02:58   #4

Boat: currently boatless

G'day Dave,
welcome to CF, its a brilliant site and a great resource for us boat tragics. I take it from you initial post that you may live on our around Lake Macquarie. If so and you want to increase your sailing skills I might suggest that you join one of the local yacht clubs. All the clubs run races on Wednesday, Friday or Saturday and I have no doubt that a few enquiries will find that the majority of boats are always looking for crew members.
Its a great way to learn the basics of sailing and how to handle a boat in all sorts of conditions as well as getting to know new people. Its also a way of finding out about sail boats and what works.
Yacht clubs are located at Toronto, Belmont ( Lake Macquarie yacht club - not the 16 footers) , Wangi and also at Summerland Point.

Greg H
Sunshine
Lagoon 410
Lake Macquarie
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 03:49   #5

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommyDave View Post
Hi Guys and Gals, I'm a sixty-something fella with an itch to learn to sail. Apart from two days being taught the ropes on a 36-foot yacht on Lake Macquarie (north of Sydney) I hadn't been under sail since I did that once, and only once, when I was a teenager... as a guest on some (now-forgotten) schoolfriend's family sailboat.

Those two days about a month ago were a paid-for Helmsman course, but the instruction was one-on-one from a competent trainer. And I know I have a lot more to learn before I can skipper a sailboat without endangering myself or others.

I hope it isn't some "second childhood" thing, but time is the only thing that will prove that one way of the other, for sure.

My wife thinks I'm "off with the fairies", but she thinks any hobby that interests me is silly or inappropriate. But I think anything that gets me some hours of quiet time is a magical escape.
Hello Dave, welcome aboard the cruiser forum, arguably made up of the most talented highly knowledgeable sailing folk on the planet. If your good wife is correct about the fairies then you are in outstanding company. Now Dave, sailing is quite simple you just need some wind and a sail and as long as you don't point your craft direct in to the prevailing wind you will move foreward, that's all there is to it. Of course being 60 something is your biggest problem, clearly you are a bit young, I am 75 something and still learning how to massage an extra half a knot out of my Lagoon 400. Dave take some courses, useful crew member courses are good, I did one at Hamilton Island some years ago went for three days, I'm sure similar courses would be available in your area, join a local yacht club, let fellow members know you are keen to learn, I am sure you will be invited to crew, over time you will learn the finer points. The most important thing to study is the weather, a met course will serve you very well down the track as your confidence and experience grows, and maybe just maybe your good wife will realize that all good fairies are out sailing and may well like to join you.
Good luck, Pommy Pete
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 06:03   #6

Thank you both, Pommy Pete and Oz Sailer. Joining a club is a good idea, and I'll definitely do that. I have been to the Toronto club a couple of times, but I ought to visit the others before I decide. I found the restaurant there a bit pricey for my old-aged pensioner budget. Are the other sailing clubs any different?

Unfortunately I live near the southern end of the M1 (formerly F3) freeway, and there aren't any sailing clubs near Hornsby! So it's a couple of hours driving for me each way (depending on time of day).
Old 23-05-2016, 07:08   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Welcome to the forum Dave, and welcome to the sailing world.

If you are somewhere near Hornsby, you don't need to travel 2 hours. Gosford sailing club caters for various styles of boat, and has introductory sails and courses as well. It's about 40 minutes by car.

You could even go by train if you don't mind a 20 minute walk.

Also, if you want to learn about boating in general, Marine Rescue has a base nearby and they conduct seamanship, navigation and other courses at very reasonable rates. Or you could choose a closer base to you, but not all conduct the courses.
Old 23-05-2016, 07:14   #8

KThanks for pointing out Gosford. I shall have to pay the sailing club a visit, tout de suite. I should a think it already! :-)

Oh yes, and the Marine Rescue guys as well.

So much great info and advice here. Thank you, everybody. You know how to make this old fart feel welcome. :-)
Old 24-05-2016, 00:27   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Pommie Bas... er, Dave!

Welcome to CF and the somewhat eccentric world of sailors. The suggestions posted above are valid, and if you pursue them, much more time on the water will be available to you.

I'm pretty lucky in that my wife is out here with the fairies along with me, and has been now for just short of 30 years of full time cruising. Hope that with some gentle encouragement yours will see the light and join you. There are lots of really nice folks floating about these waters...

Enjoy, and let us know how it goes.

Jim (another certified old fart)
Old 24-05-2016, 16:08   #10

Thank you, Jim (and Ann), for another wonderful welcome. It's a wonderful feeling to be greeted in such a manner. I am trying to "absorb like a sponge" at the moment. There is so much to learn. I feel blessed.
Old 24-05-2016, 16:26   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

Yep as someone else pointed out Gosford sailing club would be the go. They also have an adult learn to sail program.Gosford Sailing Club | The Central Coast's Premier Entertainment Venue
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 17:33   #12

Thanks, OzSkipper!

Tags
Australia, sydney