Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2019, 07:30   #1

Hi I'm Joe but most people call me Chicc or Chiccie a nickname from my last name. I grew up on Long Island NY and have never sailed a day in my life. I was in a bad car accident last year and am looking forward to a settlement soon which I hope will be enough to buy a decent blue water sailer. I'm a former 0311 Marine Corp veteran, I have a thirst for adventure and have now lived all over the USA since 2010. Currently down in FL and really looking forward to starting my dream of sailing around the world. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I currently have been watching tons of sailing videos on YouTube and I think a Catamaran is the way I want to go.
Joe Chicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 07:41   #2

Re: Newbie

Hi Chicc. Wow, was surprised and delighted to hear from you so quickly.
We are in Michigan. My wife and I are thinking of buying a boat. BTW thank you for searing this amazing country. My Wife has two sons currently in the Navy. We LOVE our veterans. Sorry to read of your accident. I have a client that was in a similar circumstance. His settlement paid off his house and funded his retirement. Totally not worth the pain and suffering.
I have sailed a little, however speakscat (wife) has not. We took a sailing class ASA 101 & 102. Was a great class and a lot of fun. I would encourage you to check out sailing schools near you.
What boats are you considering?
Speaksdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 08:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chicc, and Speaksdog..

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 08:07   #4

Thank you so much. Yeah it's been an adventure traveling all over the USA. Wisconsin has to have the nicest people in the states I gotta say. Yeah the accident has left me with over 30 pieces of new metal parts and a drop foot on the right foot that is easily managed with a brace. Everyone wanted to baby me and tell me I couldn't do the simplest of tasks and I just told them look I'm a Marine okay ? I had to learn to walk again and now I can walk up to 7 miles a day. I've got a narly scar that runs from my chest all the way down. I don't let it stop me though, do or die as the saying goes.

I'm currently binging SV/Zingaro on YouTube, really has me hooked. I love James's boat and his ability to get into really shallow waters. He actually bought the boat on Pine Island right nextdoor to where I currently reside. So basically I am looking for a Catamaran from 35 ft and up that could be solo sailed, I would love some company but I am sure that will be something that comes with owning the boat.

Hope to sail the world, I LOVE experiencing new culture and everything about it, the music, food, custom, language, all of it.

So yeah that's the plan pretty much in a nutshell ��
Joe Chicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 21:40   #5

Boat: HOBIE 18
Exclamation Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chicc View Post
So basically I am looking for a Catamaran from 35 ft and up that could be solo sailed,
I have read in multi hull writings that multis are not a good idea for single handing. Not saying this because I am some sort of mono superiority kinda guy, but I think it merits a little research.
Old 13-04-2019, 23:28   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I’m not sure that’s inherently true. Sure, most people solo sailing are on monos, that’s because they always have been. Most people buy a cat to get the space for lots of people, not to sail solo. That said, most modern catamarans seem to be set up to avoid sailing at all costs for all but the skipper. Generally they have a single “helm station” with everything leading to it. So I fail to see why it would be harder to sail a cat single-handed.

If shoal draft is what you’re looking for, check out Southerly, Feeling, or other monohulls with lifting keels.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 06:25   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

First, go sailing. Crew for others. Racers always need rail meat, which is just movable human ballast who all sit on the windward side to add righting force to the boat as the wind heels it over to leeward. After a couple dozen races you will know a fair bit about sailing in general, and not just racing. Boats in general, not just monos. Then maybe do a short crewed charter or maybe take a few ASA sailing classes. Please, don't spend a significant portion of a once in a lifetime windfall on a boat until you know a lot more about them. If you just really want to own a boat right now, I suggest a cartop dinghy, quite used. It will have already done it's depreciating. You can resell it when you outgrow it. It will teach you a lot about how sailing actually works and what you can do with a boat even without using an engine. Or at least stick to a trailer sailer so you aren't paying a marina for slip and services. Mainteance is simpler and cheaper when the boat is docked in your driveway. Again, try to find a pre-loved boat that has already depreciated. Maybe something that you can overnight on. That will introduce you to a lot of joys like fixing the head, troubleshooting electrical systems, and fiddling with outboards. By the time you are ready to move up from there, you will know whether you want a cat or tri or mono, and have a pretty good idea of your ideal boat for you and your intended usage pattern. Keep it up and you can resell it at only a modest loss.