Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 13:18   #1

Boat: Looking for the first one now

Just a quick introduction. I'm Lisa from Houston and after lurking around for several months thought I would just jump on in. Our 5 year plans (for the last 10 years) was to get the kid out of college and retire to Costa Rica. I returned home from a trip last October to be met by my husband who informed me that "we're buying a boat and sailing the world". My answer was "We don't know how to sail". After making sure that he had not sustained a head injury while I was gone, the idea started to sound better and better. We are taking ASA 101,103 & 104 by the end of the summer and will sail as often as possible for the next few years to learn as much as possible. Once the kid graduates from college (Roll Tide) the plan is to buy a boat and kick around the Caribbean for a few years then who knows which way the wind may blow. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Lisaamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:22   #2

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Newbie

Your not alone, same here. We sold the house and live on the boat to speed things up.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:44   #3

If we can narrow our boat preference down I would love to do that.
Old 07-02-2017, 13:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Lisa (and family) and welcome to the forum (go Gators but we didn't go far enough this year )

Sounds like a plan but then I'm a confirmed boat nut so not an unbiased opinion. One recommendation, especially since you're new to boating, see a lot of boats. Go to a boat show, charter if you can, go out with friends. I have found that 99% of the people that get into boating (me included) significantly change their ideas on what kind of boat over the years.

Of course you can buy a starter boat, play and learn, and upgrade later as another option.

Good luck and enjoy.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:55   #5

Hi Skipmac,

We are actually going down to the Miami boat show next week to try to narrow it down. Once we complete the ASA 103/104 certification this summer we will possibly do a charter this fall. We aren't new to boating only to sailing. I've lost count of the number of fishing boats the husband has had over the years.
Old 07-02-2017, 14:01   #6

If your plan is set and I believe it is a very good plan to have.

I believe the way to go over the next 4 years of the 5 year plan is as follows.

A: Do as much sail training, study and practice as you can, on other peoples boats is best, there is always somebody looking for crew somewher.

B: Become an avid collector of money.

C: Start downsizing all that stuff you have collected over a lifetime. So by the time you arrive in your 5 year you are not being tied down by goods that are of no use on a boat. The stuff you can not part with and not take on a boat is going to cost one way or the other to store somewhere, less is more.

The last year is the time to start narrowing in on type and style of boat, because by then you will know way more than you do now and also have an actual budget as opposed to a fantasy budget.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaamw View Post
Hi Skipmac,

We are actually going down to the Miami boat show next week to try to narrow it down. Once we complete the ASA 103/104 certification this summer we will possibly do a charter this fall. We aren't new to boating only to sailing. I've lost count of the number of fishing boats the husband has had over the years.
Background in power boats is good. I've owned plenty over the years myself. In my opinion, basic sailing skills are really a smaller part of cruising than what I will call seamanship (seapersonship?) IE navigating, boat maintenance, weather tracking, safety, etc, etc, etc and that you can get from power or sail.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Background in power boats is good. I've owned plenty over the years myself. In my opinion, basic sailing skills are really a smaller part of cruising than what I will call seamanship (seapersonship?) IE navigating, boat maintenance, weather tracking, safety, etc, etc, etc and that you can get from power or sail.

Husband was a merchant marine for years so he has all the things you list down pat. I'm sure ASA 103/104 will just be a refresher course for him.
Old 07-02-2017, 14:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
If your plan is set and I believe it is a very good plan to have.

I believe the way to go over the next 4 years of the 5 year plan is as follows.

A: Do as much sail training, study and practice as you can, on other peoples boats is best, there is always somebody looking for crew somewher.

B: Become an avid collector of money.

C: Start downsizing all that stuff you have collected over a lifetime. So by the time you arrive in your 5 year you are not being tied down by goods that are of no use on a boat. The stuff you can not part with and not take on a boat is going to cost one way or the other to store somewhere, less is more.

The last year is the time to start narrowing in on type and style of boat, because by then you will know way more than you do now and also have an actual budget as opposed to a fantasy budget.

Thank you!! What your outlined is what I was thinking also. Thanks for confirming we are on the right path.