Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 18:00   #1

New world adventure

I have to start somewhere. I have never been on a sailboat. I want to get a boat and travel the world. Just me and maybe I’ll find a partner before I leave. Let’s start at the beginning. I know sailing lessons will be needed but,
Let’s start with the boat.
What should I buy for a boat to live on, something where fuel costs will be minimal... I want to be able to go anywhere including Antarctica and I only wanna buy the boat once.... it’s ok if it’s old too.
Yimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 18:45   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: New world adventure

OK I'll bite, assuming it's real.

The "just buy once" is a fatal flaw.

Start with something small, will be 99% cheaper than what you need to safely singlehand circumnavigate via Antarctica.

As you learn to actually sail, ideally starting this spring (99% quicker than fitting out what you need to safely singlehand circumnavigate via Antarctica, even if you spent 100Ks on a brand new 70'er)

you will see lots of boats and get some ideas of which unique combination of factors are important **to you**.

Then you can post an actually answerable series of threads, and understand the many conflicting bits of advice and commentary you'll receive.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 19:37   #3

Quote: "I want to be able to go anywhere including Antarctica and I only wanna buy the boat once"

Just the mere thought of a noob doing that chills me to the bone! But you really only wanted to have some fun with us, right?. Please say that that's right :-)

TP

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 20:16   #4

I’m completely serious. How can I learn I don’t ask? I have to start somewhere?????
Old 11-04-2018, 20:18   #5

Yep, and there is a lot of great knowledge here.

First up, what is your budget for your boat purchase, and then your budget for ongoing costs?
handmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 20:29   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

Go big or go home, I say.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 20:38   #7

I’m not sure on budget. I have about 650k to last until I sink and die. Lol. But I don’t need anything extravagant. I don’t need luxury. I can travel like a hippie happily.

I want to be safe but cheap. Haha. Realistically wouldn’t an old inexpensive boat float just fine and just be ugly??
Old 11-04-2018, 21:38   #8

Okay, fair enuff. But Antarctica :-)???

You'll be setting out on a wonderful journey and there is much to learn. You say: "What should I buy for a boat to live on, something where fuel costs will be minimal", so let's start there.

Fuel costs are totally irrelevant to what you want to do. You do not go great distances in a sailboat using the "iron wind". You sail! That is the original, immutable form of "green", solar power. For the odd spot of getting in and out of harbour, or going a few miles when there is a schedule to meet, for example due to tricky tides, you might like to have an engine, though that is not absolutely required. In TrentePieds, the 20 horse Kubota burns 1/2 gallon an hour and drives the boat, on flat water, at 6 knots (6 nautical miles an hour), so you get, in a sense 12 miles to the gallon. But tha't through the water, and very rarely "over the ground". I only carry 30 gallons of fuel, so my range under power, on FLAT water, is something like 350 miles. Unless the current and/or the wind is against me. Not enuff to cross oceans. In the ocean you SAIL! And you follow a route where wind and current favours you, even though that might make you have to go hundreds of extra miles.

Now crossing oceans is NOT everybody's cuppatea. When I do it, I do it by 747, because in the ocean there is nothing IMO but tired, cold, tired, hungry, bored, tired and uncomfortable. Not my cuppatea. You couldn't pay me enuff to put up with that crap. But coastwise - now that's a kettle of fish of a whole different colour.

In a time long ago and a universe right next door, I was a professional sailing instructor. Basic boat handling I could teach you in a week-end. Nobody can teach you to be a skipper - a functionary whose first responsibility is to keep his crew safe, which he cannot do without keeping his ship safe. Learning that will be all down to you. And it takes a lifetime of dedicated application.

So turning more directly to the question of what (make of) boat you should buy, that cannot be answered on the basis of a simplistic question. Boats are not Ram 350s that you drive outta the showroom and blow down Route 66! Boats are highly individualized things that have to be chosen, and adapted and modified, to suit their owners personalities, the jobs to which their owners/skippers will be putting them, and the waters in which they will be sailed.

So go pick out some boats you think your might like, put them before us by name, and tell us something about what you'd like to do with those boats and where you'd like to do it - something more realistic than Antarctica - and we can critique your choices. What's more: We'll be glad to do so. One of our members likes to hang out in Patagonia, so if you just can't get Antarctica off you mind, maybe you'd better talk to him :-)

Tell us where you hang out at the moment. That'll enable us to begin to point you in the right direction for instruction, and to have some opinion of what might be available in your local market.

Over...

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Yimmortal.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New world adventure

Get this..
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1492816/
Strong.. roomy enough for contributing crew for the more arduous adventures.. a quality build and design that will hold its value and leave you $450K to put into a high interest account and feed off the interest.
For what you claim to want to do dont piss about with plastic ducks.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:10   #11

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Read. Then read some more. You say you want to buy your first and last boat once. That’s not gonna happen but let’s play along.
We had no experience sailing so looked for a strong, safe, highly recommended blue water cruiser. Something that would be able to take a knock down, a grounding, would allow us to run into things without sinking and had a super strong hull.
We found the boat first, then took lessons, then sailed her across the Gulf of Mexico.
A small boat gets REAL small real quick. 36’ or larger will be more comfortable for your world traveling adventures.
It’s hard to want to show off an ugly boat. So buy something you can be proud of and fix her up enough to be safe and not ugly.
And keep reading. Get lessons, offer to crew on someone elses boat......or do what we did, buy the very best you can and just jump in and figure it out as you go.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Buy a motorhome...
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59   #13
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimmortal View Post
I want to be safe but cheap. Haha. Realistically wouldn’t an old inexpensive boat float just fine and just be ugly??
Actually plenty of 25-35' boats available from the 60's to 80's that are just gorgeous.

If you pick one up for say $20K it may well be already to go next week for you to start learning.

But getting even a $100,000 newer version ready for Antarctic circumnavigation will cost another say $50K or double that, and at least 6 months, more likely over a year.

And the thousands of learning, fixing and sailing hours **you** will need to be safely ready for that will take much longer.

Wouldn't it just suck after say three years of full-time prep, as you learn more, you realize you have the wrong boat, and want to start over?

You never get the upfitting money back, likely lose 3/4 or more of your prior investment switching.

Even $5,000 can get you out learning by summer.

Even the planning for your grand circumnavigation should wait until you're a strong sailor and have been exposed to dozens if not hundreds of boats in real life.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:33   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

You may want to buy a small sailboat first (25' - 29') for around $5,000-$20,000 and start sailing.

You may find that you don't like it as much as you thought or you may love it!

If you love it, continue to sail your boat until you learn what it is you want in a sailboat.

Plus there's lots of other stuff to learn as well......sailing, anchoring, engines, autopilots, etc, etc .....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:37   #15

I love the idea of learn as I go. I of course plan to stay near the coast and then when I get better venture out further. But my ultimate dream is to sail around Antarctica someday. I wasn’t kidding on that one.

So I got a good recommendation of 35’ as a minimum size. That’s a starting point.

I’m in utah now, stop laughing, haha. I am from ny so I’ve had lots of boats in my life, just never sailboats. So I’m not completely crazy....ok I am but so what, haha

Hull material that would hold up when I hit things? Cause I’m sure I will....