Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 13:42   #1

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
New to this Forum

Hello. I'm Capt. Chuck and I have lots of questions but so far hard to get good answers, hope I can get some here, thanks.
I have a 60' 1967 wood x-commercial fishing vessel 70' overall. I am redoing for full time liveaboard and retirement. I have been a Capt. since 1985 I have been in all waters Aleutian Islands, Alaska to Ensenada, Mexico and all states and cities on coast in between.

I kept my smaller vessel 32' Grand Banks in Channel Islands, Calif. Now I am in Mississippi and leaving soon July 1st - 10th? Trying to get rid of the grand banks a very good boat I could tow it behind me, but might be more trouble then it is worth?

Anyway, Florida 1st I guess then Belize, or? I want to totally remodel this vessel. There is tons of room and so much wasted space. I built a temp room on upper deck to live while lower deck gets remodeled. I can still do a lot of work but not as much endurance as I used to have and now 71.

Where can I go for complete remodel to do this? I need good wood craftsmen and lower price then in U.S. I'm seeking lots of info, where do I take the vessel? Belize, Rio Dulce Guatemala, Honduras Naval Shipyard, Nicaragua, Costa Rica to have the work done. I know it may take 1-3 months and I am just about ready to get out of here and hope to not run into any Hurricanes. Any good advice or recommendations will be GREATLY APPRECIATED, thanks.

Communications, will my laptop find some connections along the way for reception or do should I invest in Satellite? I really can't afford the Sat stuff, but? Ok folks, I have been in a lot of waters, but no Southern Waters much below Florida. So looking forward to many new experiences. I now a little Spanish, but will be learning a lot more. I would like to know a couple things if possible and 1st. Do I get insurance for those areas here in U.S. Before leaving or get them down there somewhere? If I plan on living in Central America forever? Do I register my vessel (now U.S.C.G documented) and home ported in Channel Islands, even though the vessel has never been there. I tried my old insurance co progressive but they don't insure 50' or over? So for any help. Thanks, Muchas gracias. . .

Capt. Chuck
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 15:24   #2

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
Re: New to this forum

Welcome Capt. Chuck to the best sailing forum on the net.

I can’t even begin to answer your questions but I can perhaps point you in the right direction to get the info you are looking for.

First though, and as you already know, lugging around on the end of a rope, a 32 foot boat you neither need or want is absolutely, positively, not an option unless you plan to cannibalize it for materials to rebuild your boat, a scenario I rather doubt. So you either need to flog it or park it with a broker and let them flog it for whatever you can get.

In terms of remodelling your boat, I have not the foggiest idea but I know that in other forums on this site, others have discussed to pro’s and con’s of various locations to do that. Belize and Honduras leap out at me but that’s just from memory having read some of the posts.

Information on communications in those waters is also likely to be found by posting a query into one of the other forums here and I have no doubt that you will get all the info you need.

Insurance is an interesting issue, I’m currently in the UK and here, the SAGA insurance company was set up to provide all kinds of insurance to the over 50’s at very, very competitive rates but I don’t know if they operate internationally. Check them out.

Registration? can’t help you there either except to say, yet again, check out the more specific forums and I’m sure you will get help.

Bear in mind that this is the “Meets and Greets” forum, an important one for sure But, not all the members check in here and to tap into the knowledge bases you are looking for, you will need to give your mouse a little more exercise and check out, and post to, the forums here that would be more focussed on your specific questions.

Hope this helps….James
Old 17-06-2011, 16:30   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum Chuck
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 00:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum Capt. Chuck.
You've got a great adventure ahead.
Any chance of posting some pictures of your boat?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 00:51   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Capt. Chuck, I have been doing some asking around about that very subject myself and I have heard of some good yards on the west coast of Mexico, sorry the names elude me at the moment, I think if you would perform a search of the forum you will find the answers you are looking for, I would sell the trawler rather than tow it.
Old 12-07-2011, 20:05   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and good luck on your remodel project. Sounds very interesting.
kind regards,