Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 08:51   #1

New to the ocean...

Hi. So just to be brief. I saw the ocean for the first time just six months ago. I'm in love. Now we're hatching a long term plan to live-aboard and cruise in the future. There's a lot of ground to cover first. I have never even been on a sailboat. So I think that needs to happen first.

So if anyone in Seattle wants to give a noob his first taste drop me a message I guess lol.
Old 15-03-2013, 09:27   #2

Re: New to the ocean...

Welcome.

The Pacific North West is one of the finest cruising grounds on the planet.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 10:15   #3

Thanks! Sure is a far cry from Kansas.
Old 15-03-2013, 10:41   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! Hope you find a boat to crew on and get on the water soon! Beautiful cruising up there.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 11:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Justinwrites.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:15   #6

welcome!!! You will enjoy your stay here as there is a wealth of knowledge here, just ask..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:15   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinwrites View Post
---I saw the ocean for the first time just six months ago. ---
Welcome aboard Justinwrites.
I think you get the prize for being the ultimate newbie.
Enjoy!
Old 15-03-2013, 12:37   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. Up in the PNW there are literally hundreds of sailing clubs (not to be confused with Yacht clubs). Join one and have unlimited use of their smaller sailboats.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:53   #9

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Justin, you might want to start here. At least, they can answer your questions. I think there is a place that gives lessons on Lake Washington and I think on Lake Union, also. At the south end of Lake Union, there is a wooden boat exhibit and I think the sailing club (with lessons) is there.

Did you move from Wichita to Seattle for Boeing? My son did that and loves living in Seattle. He graduated from Wichita State.

The best of luck to you. You will love sailing. It's like flying!

Oh...and welcome to CF. It's a great place!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 16:32   #10

Thanks again for the welcome everyone.

Until recently the largest body of water I ever laid eyes upon was Lake Superior. Not the same, not at all. Largely I have not traveled much outside of Kansas, this is the furthest I've ever been.

My family picked up from a small town north of Lawrence, KS (Jayhawk country) where I had a small pastured poultry farm (like Joel Salatin's idea). We decided that we wanted to shake things up, see more of the country and world. We figured there was no sense in settling in and growing old anywhere until we had a larger sample to survey from. And the timing is perfect. We've got a few more years before my son is too old to enjoy us and we're going to make the most of it.

I did stumble across the Wooden club and will check them out ASAP. Are there any boat dealers around here I could avail myself upon to get a closer look at these boats? We're still in fantasy mode, but my wife is in agreement. We had planned on building a tiny house on a small plot of land when we did settle down again, and a boat is not so different sans the settling down thing
Old 15-03-2013, 18:55   #11

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Justin, yes there are a few yacht brokers all along Westlake Blvd. In fact you could park down there at the south end and walk all the way to the Fremont Bridge. BTW, there is a wonderful coffee shop right across the bridge called Peets. Have fun, Seattle is a great place!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 19:35   #12

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sailing is like flying??? ummm...combine the two together, and what do you get? ...Heaven...I'm in heaven...<Fred Astaire> Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 21:46   #13

Boat: Catalina 320 32'

Well once you get salt water in your veins it won't come out. I find it a happy affliction.
If you want to get into boating there are different ways of going about it. I've done it all my life...like 1968 at the age of 3. I had MY first boat at 8. I've had many power boats with day sailors thrown in here and there. I got back into sailing with an early 1981 Hobie Cat I bought back around 2005 then in 2009 my wife and I decided to start getting serious so we went to Abaco Bahamas and took ASA courses to learn how to sail larger boats, within 2 months I bought a 1993 26' Macgregor. I wanted a beginner size cruising boat that was trailerable so when I was sure my Wife was going to embrace this sailing thing I would have a larger market to sell to. We LOVED that boat and had a blast with it but we wanted to go bigger so last Summer I sold the Hobie, sold the Macgregor and bought a 2000 Catalina 320 (First time we ever used a broker). We bought this boat in September and only got to sail about 6 weeks until we pulled her for the Winter. All I can say is WOW what a boat!

What I would suggest is start out with a smaller less expensive boat to make sure you and your wife are going to be into it. If you know you are going to move up in size try to get a newer one in good shape so it'll be easier to sell when you are ready for the BIG one. Another plus starting in a smaller boat is that the mistakes you make won't be as expensive (and you WILL make mistakes), like bumping a pier or running aground (If you don't have a swing keel). Another reason to get a boat in good shape is you don't want to burn out on fixing a lot of things although ALL boats will a require good amount work and upkeep, later if you want to do some serious work then go for it but first get out and sail.

Go walk some piers! Talk to owners, most everyone loves to talk about their boat! Try to develop some connections like at work on these forum sites. I really would stay away from salesmen or brokers until you go large. They are basically real estate agents handling boats. Like I said last year was the FIRST time I ever used a broker and I've been boating all my life. Speaking of which, my wife actually found that Hobie Cat we had, I taught her that when looking to by an old car or boat, high grass is a for sale sign. She saw a Hobie with a bunch of high grass around it, called me and 2 days later we had a nice catamaran for $500!
swampcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:17   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Basic sailing lessons are a really good idea. It'll let you know right off if that sort of thing is what you want. Start with a sailing club and after talking with the members go around and take a look at some boats.
It would be a shame to spend a bunch of money on a boat and then decide you'd rather have that cabin.
kind regards,
Old 03-04-2013, 18:42   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New to the ocean...

Hi Justin... new to the Ocean..?
Welcome to Love n Hate...
Oh... and CF

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote