Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2007, 05:13   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
New to the forum

Hi, y'all.

Just joined the forum, so here's a little background info.

My wife, Lynne, and I have been retired since 2001. Having sailed small boats and charters for many years, we decided we wanted to do some cruising, so we bought our Island Packet 380, The Belle of Virginia, in 2002. We did a lot of cruising around the Chesapeake Bay, mostly with the Rappahannock River Yacht Club, sailed her to Bermuda in '03, and then to the Caribbean and back to the Chesapeake via the Abacos in '04-'05. (You can read about our six months in the islands here, if you care to: The Belle of Virginia in the Caribbean 2004-2005.)

We sailed her back to the Caribbean in '05, and decided to stay. Having visited all the islands but four, we had decided that Nevis was a really special place, so we sold our home in Virginia and bought a place here. We've lived on Nevis since August, '06. There's nothing like sailing in the Tradewinds!

Our best to everyone,
Old 17-09-2007, 05:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Where, in Nevis, are you located?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 06:02   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi, Gord.

We live in Fern Hill, just above Barnes Ghaut Village. Do you know Nevis?
Old 17-09-2007, 11:29   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Hud3,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum. Great place to bounce ideas.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 11:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not really. Spent a rolly night, anchored off (?) Pinney's Beach (?) (near the Sunshine beach bar), north of Charlestown.
As I recall, every place name in Nevis seems to be “somebody’s” hill.

Old 17-09-2007, 11:44   #6

Very cool - we've been to St. Kitts but skipped Nevis - probably a mistake. Do you haul the boat for hurricane season?
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 13:45   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hauling for hurricane season

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Very cool - we've been to St. Kitts but skipped Nevis - probably a mistake. Do you haul the boat for hurricane season?
My insurer requires it, but I'd do it anyway. The hurricanes are too unpredictible to be able to run for cover when one approaches. I kept the boat at Grenada Marine in St. David's Bay last summer, and have it closer to home, in Falmouth, Antigua, this season. It's strapped into a welded steel cradle.

You missed out by not coming over to Nevis from St Kitts! I advise people to clear in to Nevis and then visit St Kitts for a day by ferry and taxi. If you like laid-back, friendly Caribbean islands, Nevis is it.
Old 17-09-2007, 13:50   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not really. Spent a rolly night, anchored off (?) Pinney's Beach (?) (near the Sunshine beach bar), north of Charlestown.
As I recall, every place name in Nevis seems to be “somebody’s” hill.
Yes, it can be rolly since all the anchorages are pretty open. We're located basically up the hill from the Four Seasons Resort, which is on Pinney's Beach just north of Sunshine's beach bar. Did you have any of Sunshine's infamous Killer Bee's?
Old 21-09-2007, 07:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just came across this interesting report:
Nevis - A Gentle Walk on the Wild Side ~ by Bill Bate (Caribbean Compass)

”... Learning we were cruisers, the staff in the tourist board office became enthusiastic and informed us that the islanders are very serious about developing the island as a cruising stop. They then introduced us to the Nevis Air and Sea Ports Authority General Manager, Spencer Hanley. Mr. Hanley informed us that beginning in August 2007 they would commence the progressive installation of 100 moorings for yachts up to 60 feet. The moorings will run along the west coast of the island from Oualie Beach to Charlestown (including Pinney's Beach). In addition there will be a designated area for mega-yacht moorings. They will also be improving their dinghy dock and providing cruisers' services such as showers, internet access, laundry services and water. Full boat-maintenance services are being planned for the future ...

... We cannot help but think that cruisers who sail right on by Nevis are missing one of the cruising life's best-kept secrets ...”

Goto: Nevis - Gentle Walk on the Wild Side

The fact that I don’t remember having any "Killer Bee's", might suggest that I did.

Old 21-09-2007, 09:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Yes, it can be rolly since all the anchorages are pretty open. We're located basically up the hill from the Four Seasons Resort, which is on Pinney's Beach just north of Sunshine's beach bar. Did you have any of Sunshine's infamous Killer Bee's?
Welcome!

You live in a most wonderful spot that has some significance for me. My wife and I were at the Four Seasons on Nevis when the sailing bug bit hard. We had always sailed smaller boats and we made great use of the resort's Hobies. While we were there there was a beautiful (and large 75+ft) sailboat anchored off the beach that captured our imagination. We never looked back. Within 6 months we had bought a cruising boat.

I played some golf on the hill above the resort. The views from that hill are beyond description.
cruiser_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 04:48   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Moorings in Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Just came across this interesting report:
Nevis - A Gentle Walk on the Wild Side ~ by Bill Bate (Caribbean Compass)

”... Learning we were cruisers, the staff in the tourist board office became enthusiastic and informed us that the islanders are very serious about developing the island as a cruising stop. They then introduced us to the Nevis Air and Sea Ports Authority General Manager, Spencer Hanley. Mr. Hanley informed us that beginning in August 2007 they would commence the progressive installation of 100 moorings for yachts up to 60 feet. The moorings will run along the west coast of the island from Oualie Beach to Charlestown (including Pinney's Beach). In addition there will be a designated area for mega-yacht moorings. They will also be improving their dinghy dock and providing cruisers' services such as showers, internet access, laundry services and water. Full boat-maintenance services are being planned for the future ...

... We cannot help but think that cruisers who sail right on by Nevis are missing one of the cruising life's best-kept secrets ...”

Goto: Nevis - Gentle Walk on the Wild Side

The fact that I don’t remember having any "Killer Bee's", might suggest that I did.
That was a good article.

I went to meeting last night on the subject of moorings. The project is underway, and ultimately moorings will stretch from Gallows Bay (Charlestown) to Oualie Bay in the north. No decision has been made on what the nightly charge will be. It was stated that the government believes that "yacht tourism" is better for Nevis that "cruise boat tourism", and intends to work to improve services for yachties. One big plus--Spencer Hanley said that if a yacht clears in in St Kitts and later wants to come to Nevis, it will only need to radio the authorities on Nevis to get a mooring bouy assignment. Current requirements are that you would need to clear out of St Kitts and clear in to Nevis, as if it were a different country!
Old 25-09-2007, 08:08   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_pete View Post
Welcome!

You live in a most wonderful spot that has some significance for me. My wife and I were at the Four Seasons on Nevis when the sailing bug bit hard. We had always sailed smaller boats and we made great use of the resort's Hobies. While we were there there was a beautiful (and large 75+ft) sailboat anchored off the beach that captured our imagination. We never looked back. Within 6 months we had bought a cruising boat.

I played some golf on the hill above the resort. The views from that hill are beyond description.
Hi, Pete. Thanks for the welcome! As a matter of fact, we were anchored off that beach a few years ago looking up at the mountain and the palm trees, and decided to move to Nevis. Something about Pinneys Beach seems to cause people to make major life decisions, I guess.
Old 29-09-2007, 00:06   #13

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Welcome aboard, Hud3...

Haven't made Nevis yet, but hope to maybe early next year. I think I want to try a Killer Bee. :cubalibre
Old 29-09-2007, 10:58   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Killer Bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearphish View Post
Welcome aboard, Hud3...

Haven't made Nevis yet, but hope to maybe early next year. I think I want to try a Killer Bee. :cubalibre
Hey, Bearphish. Come on down, and I'll buy you one! Here's a photo of Sunshine's--no shoes allowed.
Attached Images

Old 29-09-2007, 19:50   #15

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
pirate HEEEEEY... my kind of place!

I gotta go there. It has been decided. (only takes a moment nowadays)
I think after season, maybe Jan or Feb.
Already plotting...