Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 07:58   #1

Boat: 1995 Seaward 25
New to the Board

Hello everyone! Greetings from Lake Saint Clair in Michigan!

I have read lots of good stuff on here for a while now but just now registered to participate.

I have been sailing since the late 1970's first on someone else's Edel 540, then a Catalina 22 (my wife and my first new to us boat that we kept for 10 years), and then a Seaward 25 for the last 12 years and still going strong.

Looking now to set off on the Great Loop in 5 years or less so I am hunting for a 30-32 sailboat. I actually live on the loop so anyone sailing by give a wave! Anyway, looking is always fun... I may, actually, just start off with the Seaward on this little adventure but the saltwater parts make me nervous. Why start with the Seaward? It's trailerable and it would allow me to plan out segments and then bring it back home. We'll see, but whatever the actual plan ends up being at this point is still just a dream...but, knowing that 5 years go bye like a blink it is not something to dismiss for too much later!

Recently a very good Irwin Citation 31 went off the market I was considering. However, as it was a 1984 it had a Yanmar 2GM 15 in it like all the Ericson's and Islanders in this size/age range seem to have. My 25' Seaward has a 1GM10 and it cruises around 5 kts under power making it difficult in the Detroit and Saint Clair rivers heading upstream. These are 30 to 33 foot boats with 13 HP. Does anyone have knowledge if the 2GM will move these up river well?

That is it for now...quite an intro, eh?

Regards,
Dan
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 08:07   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: New to the Board

Welcome Aboard
Old 27-08-2016, 02:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 03:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with all the Yanmar model numbers but I can say that 13 HP in a 30-33' boat is not much. If you have to motor against wind, waves or current I think at least double that or more. I had a 34' boat with a 36 HP Volvo diesel and thought that was just about right.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 17:28   #5

Hi Dan! We're getting started as well, and will find ourselves on Lake Saint Clair as well. Hope to run into you sometime.
VictoriaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 18:06   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. My Hallberg Rassy weighs out around 15,000lbs. and has a Westerbeke W46 (45hp.) When I first saw it, i thought..."Yikes, why so large"? Now i really enjoy it. If I ever repowered, I might go down to a 35hp. but no lower.
Regarding a Irwin, I would raise the bar a little higher if you want to go offshore in a under 35ft. boat.
Here is a great sight to get an idea of good quality offshore vessels.

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 19:40   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome and I second Celestial... here is another:
Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
and also look at the "vote for upcoming boats" link there too, lots of good ones there too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:35   #8

Boat: 1995 Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with all the Yanmar model numbers but I can say that 13 HP in a 30-33' boat is not much. If you have to motor against wind, waves or current I think at least double that or more. I had a 34' boat with a 36 HP Volvo diesel and thought that was just about right.
Yup, nervous about this for progress up rivers, however, I am also aware that HP is only a computed figure and these older Yanmar's may have enough torque at a low RPM to move the boat. I will just schedule a look at one or two and try to negotiate a sea trial. I will be able to tell. There is also the possibility of a refit and that would solve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Hi Dan! We're getting started as well, and will find ourselves on Lake Saint Clair as well. Hope to run into you sometime.
Hi neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the forum. My Hallberg Rassy weighs out around 15,000lbs. and has a Westerbeke W46 (45hp.) When I first saw it, i thought..."Yikes, why so large"? Now i really enjoy it. If I ever repowered, I might go down to a 35hp. but no lower.
Regarding a Irwin, I would raise the bar a little higher if you want to go offshore in a under 35ft. boat.
Here is a great sight to get an idea of good quality offshore vessels.

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome and I second Celestial... here is another:
Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
and also look at the "vote for upcoming boats" link there too, lots of good ones there too.
Thanks. I am aware of the benefits and reasons to desire the abilities of some of these boats, however, the great loop is mostly motoring in canals and rivers. Some parts are in salty stuff but mostly on the inside of the ICW.

My hopes and dreams of crossing oceans have been gone for a while now.

Some of these 1980's boats (Ericson, Caliber, Irwin, Watkins, Laguna) are still in great shape and have held up well to Great Lakes cruising. Also, being in fresh water all their lives seems to have slowed the issues other salt water boats suffer. Sailboatlistings.com also shows how many of these models and vintage boats are used to coastal cruise the coasts. They seem to have held up well there as well. However, I need to keep planning and figuring and keeping an eye out. If a nice Pacific Seacraft 31 showed up in my price range I would be quite happy... however, that is not likely to happen!
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote