Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 13:17   #1

New to sailing and the Forum, Hi!!!

I've been learking for awhile now and thought it's about time I jumped in and said Hi and introduced my self. Well I'm 21 and in the USAF stationed in japan. A good long while back I desided to learn to sail, become a live aboard and go to all the places I've ever had the erge to go. To experiance the most freedom I porbably will ever have. So now im saving most my checks and investing my money. I hope to do a bit of sailing this summer here in japan learn everything I can. Once my enlistment is up "3 years left" I will start the search for my dream boat. I'm thinking of something small, comfy, nothing to expensive. Im a mechanic and shouldent have any touble learning what it takes to maintain her.

I'm sure I will have lots of question's over time, I look forward to learning from everyone's experiance.

Fair Winds.
Old 10-04-2007, 13:52   #2

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Welcome aboard! Well you know that's how it all starts, a little lurking around, then you start sailing, then you buy a boat, then you spend the rest of your life maintaining her Isn't life grand! Hope your plan works out!

Mark
Old 10-04-2007, 17:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome Aboard!! Yokota? I don't know about the ability to find sailing schools through MWR is there in Japan but here in Hawaii there is a good program to teach service folks how to.
Good luck to you and hope you enjoy posting as much as lurking.
I thought I'd get out of the Navy after 2 years in the reserves. Well, 30 years later in the regular Navy I finally retired.
Good luck to you and thanks for serving.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:10   #4

Actauly im in Misawa, and so far I havent found any programs for sailing here. There used to be a club up here but the site hasent been updated in a year now. "Just checked it, and its actualy been taken down" So, guess I'll make some calls see what I can find out. Not really to hopefull. We have a lake right here on base, and the ocean just down the road so there has to be something!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard! This is a great place to get and give advice.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:01   #6

Welcome to the board.... looks a great place to get advice
lon987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32   #7

Sailing in Misawa

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to sailing but I saw this post on sailing in Japan. I am currently stateside, but I am looking at a job in Misawa. I was trying to find out more information about living aboard. If I get the job, I am hoping to buy a boat and live on it, but I can't seem to find any information on Marinas where I could do that. Any body know anything about living aboard near Misawa? thanks
betterfastermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 09:30   #8

Sailing in japan

...about sailing in japan. There is a club here.. here's the link

misawasailing - Misawa Sailing Club - Japan

It's fun sailing around.. I swear this city has a deep hatred for nice weekends. It's always real nice on a work day, and raining on the weekend!

Anyway there really isnt anyone here to teach sailing.. just a few old boats that are part of this "club". The good thing is, there's almost never anyone else using the boats so.. I get to teach my self.

To use damn near any type of water craft here in japan you have to take a written test on boater safety.. very easy 20 or so question test that the local rec center here supply's study guides on.

If you got any other questions, just hit me up.
Old 22-04-2008, 09:41   #9

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome to all of you!
Old 23-04-2008, 04:44   #10

Misawa Sailing

Thanks for the link to the misawa sailing club. Unfortunately I am deployed right now and the like is blocked, but I will be back statside soon and I should be able to look at it. I still haven't heard if I am going to Japan yet, but I should know in a month or so. Do you know if there are any marinas near (within a reasonable commut) to misawa where I could live on a boat? I have been trying to find the information on the net, but haven't had any luck. I am hoping to buy a boat and live on it, but I don't know much about the area.

Thanks for the help. How long will you be staying in Japan?
betterfastermor is offline   Reply With Quote