Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 10:27   #1

New to sailing and looking for advice

Hello everyone! I'm New to this forum and I'm hoping to get a little feedback. After my first experience on a sailboat 3 years ago I've never been able to get past the itch of wanting to skipper my own boat. I've been working in South Florida along the treasure coast for two years and after finishing a big project recently, I have a bit of time on my hands. I'm definitely going to take sailing lessons, hopefully this week, but I would like to supplement that knowledge with something cheaper and hands on like helping someone work on a sailboat or basically trade labor for knowledge. I've heard of a few people doing this by simply going to yards and asking if someone needs help. This seems like a strange notion but I'll do what it takes. Anyways, do these seem like good ideas? I don't know anyone who sails so I have no mentors. Any advice? I have over a month of free time before I move.
BrazosPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:44   #2

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: New to sailing and looking for advice

Welcome to CF!

I agree that walking up to a boat and asking someone if they need help seems like a strange proposition, but if you knew sailors you'd know it's a good answer. Go to a boatyard where you see people working on boats on the hard and just tell them you're trying to learn as much as you can and do they need any unskilled labor? I bet you'll be put to work before you approach the third boat! And once the word gets out I think you'll have more people willing to teach you.

See the thing is, we all started this way so we're used to seeing people approach with that strange gleam in their eye and that goofy "in love" smile. It just reminds us of the way we started.

Good luck to you!
Old 26-02-2019, 12:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New to sailing and looking for advice

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brazos.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:30   #4

New to sailing and looking for advice

You sound similar to what I’m working on...
I’ve had the sailing itch for only a year but I’ve got it BAD!
It started from watching YouTube sailing channels and it’s blossomed into a 24/7 obsession. I’ve got to get a boat!
Fortunately, my husband has finally seen the light and is open to the idea of sailing. He’s always been a power boat guy but he’s now seeing the benefits of sail.
We are just starting the big plan to pay off everything and start working towards a sailboat. I think he’s even getting us sailing lessons for my upcoming April birthday.
I’ve even recently hopped on a 27’ Albin Vega with a guy I barely knew and island hopped from Ft. Lauderdale to the Exumas, what a trip!

Last weekend, We went to the local marina just to look around and learn. And since I’ve been wanting to also trade help for experience, I noticed a few boats being worked on in the marina yard. Unfortunately, we needed to get home so my husband would not let me go bug the guys who were working. I’m pretty handy, have done full gut house remodel and use to do home inspections, I think there’s something I can offer to a refit.
I’m in Merritt Island, FL. I’ll let you know if I learn if anyone who needs help and please also let me know the same.
Fairytale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing