Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 14:33   #1

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings
New to Sailing and I like what I see :)

Hello
Allow me to introduce myself.
I learned how to boat on a 37' cigarette that had the cap removed. I enjoyed this boat as it was converted to run long distances an work as a center con open fisher.
Then I moved on to friends that had basic bow riders 22-27'.
I had a blast cruising in those around central Florida mostly near-shore and in the inter-coastal.
Recently a friend an I purchased a pontoon boat. We cruise the Hillsborough river and parts of Tampa Bay - most of our time is spent fishing and getting on the water to relax.
Now after about 20 years of powerboats that same friend and I are about to get our first Sailboat.
The idea is to learn sailing basics going from central Florida to the keys and eventually around the Caribbean.
As our skill grows so will the distances of our adventures.

I guess the first question I would ask is does anyone have any recommendations on a boat. Ideally it would sleep at least six people and be capable of crossing blue water. (Colombia, Panama, and Nicaragua are certainly possible destinations) We have been looking at Ketch's around 40'. From obsessively reading everything we come across that looks like a decent place to start. Ideally we would like to spend $35-45k USD.

My second question is there anything you wish you did differently when buying your first sailboat???

Thanks and I look forward to making many new friends in the CF forums and on the water!
Thx Tiki
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 15:30   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: New to Sailing and I like what I see :)

Cigarette to sailboat? My first thought is you'll need a multihull or you may be frustrated with the speed! But seriously with your budget it will be a little bit of a challenge to find a monohull in good shape that can sleep 6 comfortably for under 40K, but not impossible. My first boat... I could have bargained more and gotten a survey. But it was already an inexpensive 24 footer so I never looked back. So yes, bargain, get a survey and be sure to scrutinize the engine well. In the Caribbean many folks like the shallower draft of good old boats like Tartans and Morgans, as in perhaps this one:
MORGAN OUT ISLAND 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 15:49   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Lots of potential boats right around you!!
You may be disappointed by the speed of all of them under both sail and power if you're not ready for the pace though

(Sail) Boats For Sale
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Lots of potential boats right around you!!
You may be disappointed by the speed of all of them under both sail and power if you're not ready for the pace though

(Sail) Boats For Sale
Lol we gave up speed on the pontoon boat. That one tops out at roughly 7 knots.
Old 14-01-2016, 17:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Cigarette to sailboat? My first thought is you'll need a multihull or you may be frustrated with the speed! But seriously with your budget it will be a little bit of a challenge to find a monohull in good shape that can sleep 6 comfortably for under 40K, but not impossible. My first boat... I could have bargained more and gotten a survey. But it was already an inexpensive 24 footer so I never looked back. So yes, bargain, get a survey and be sure to scrutinize the engine well. In the Caribbean many folks like the shallower draft of good old boats like Tartans and Morgans, as in perhaps this one:
MORGAN OUT ISLAND 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Wow that is the boat I dream about. Maybe I will get lucky and find one in fair shape under 50k. Thanks for the reply!
Old 14-01-2016, 19:29   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikirawker View Post
Wow that is the boat I dream about. Maybe I will get lucky and find one in fair shape under 50k. Thanks for the reply!
You might try searchtempest for Craigslist for the east coast and the Caribbean, you might get lucky! But if you have 50k save 15-20k for upgrades and just plain stuff.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing