Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 19:39   #1

New to sailing

I started sailing lessons with my son and crewed on a friends boat and now I am HOOKED...

I like to travel by camper and now I need one for the water I guess...

Good to meet all of you.
Sail Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 20:38   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: New to sailing

Welcome to CF! All the best in trying to maintain both lifestyles. I tried that for a while but gave up the land yacht, which was being neglected. I'd love to hear how people do it. Probably best to be retired, for sure.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 20:52   #3

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

"I started sailing lessons with my son and crewed on a friends boat and now I am HOOKED..."

My deepest condolences. Is there still time to send flowers....or would weather gear">foul weather gear be better?

Never tried a camper or R/V. But it must be nice to not have to wake up at 3am to check whether you've rolled across the campsite.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 21:49   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
I would suggest filling you location, at least approximately, in you profile and for boat: “looking.

When you ask questions a lot of answers are location or boat dependent. Both display under you username in the web view.

By the way, sail or power?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:05   #5

Welcome, Sailfish,

I like your monniker!

There's one Forum member here who always notes, "Caution: sailing is highly addictive". I'm always delighted when I read that.

We see you've discovered that for yourself. Where are you? North America? East Coast or West? Europe? Aus? Lake sailing or Ocean sailing?

Hope you enjoy participating on the Forum. There are a lot of great resources here.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I would suggest filling you location, at least approximately, in you profile...
It's funny (peculiar) that this tip originates from you, since I've never understood the location listed in your profile - and the long description - whatever it says - is also in... Spanish (?) - not the language of this Forum.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
It's funny (peculiar) that this tip originates from you, since I've never understood the location listed in your profile - and the long description - whatever it says - is also in... Spanish (?) - not the language of this Forum.
Somewhere in la espanola I suppose. Not anywhere around here.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:46   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
That actually is pretty funny. I never read people's info. Now, I have learned something today about Alto California. We never learned about US West Coast history in primary school in Florida. The closest we got was the Alamo
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:28   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
The irony of this is not lost on me. That said I almost never ask questions who's answer would be location dependent.

La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España:

The City of the Mission of Didacus of Alcala in Upper California, Vice-royalty of New Spain. AKA San Diego, CA.

I'm not the first member, or even the first Mod to do this. If I recall correctly TaoJones listed his location as "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Porciuncula". AKA Los Angele, CA. Might have been a different mod, but that's where I got the idea.

If I was in New York city it would be "Nieuw Amsterdam".
Old 03-07-2020, 09:39   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I like it.

And that makes my location Whulge.

(what the Salish people call Puget Sound)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:27   #11

Quote:
I had to think about this for a bit but the reason I don't think it's a rules violation for a location to be in a non-English language (yes, there are various dialects of English, some which are almost mutually unintelligible). The reason I don't is that the location is a place name. I believe place names, and names for that matter, are a special case.

We are not going to make members' who's names are Ivan, Evan, Ian, Sean, Johan,... etc go by John just because that is the English equivalent.

Likewise we are not going to get touchy about place names.

The point of the English language rule here is so that rudeness can be better dealt with. If 2 members are slinging insults at each other in Slovakian and we don't have a Slovakian speaking moderator we don't know there's a problem unless one of them flags the other, and then we wonder if that member is trying to use us as a catspaw to take swipes at the other member.

Even with Google Translate there is a lot of cultural references that gets lost.

And if we had a Slovakian speaking mod, it's hard to have a consensus of one mod. A lot of what we do is by consensus. If a Strike is issued, it is by group agreement. If a post is deleted or a thread closed, we flag is so that all the mods see and can weigh in on whether to put the post back or reopen the thread.

So posts and threads are efforts to communicate opinions and experiences and need to be in English so they can be effectively monitored but names and Place names are actually discrete info rather than an attempt to communicate.
Old 03-07-2020, 14:35   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Agree with Adelie. There's a place in Kansas (yes, Dorothy, Kansas) called Osawatamee (sp?). It is not called "Rivers Meet" or whatever osawatamee means in the Potawatamee language.

We have a ham radio friend whose place was burned out in the bush fires this year, and who has rebuilt in: Tumburumba.

If it is local spelling for a place, it is okay.

However, Adelie's is historical or obsolete, depending on point of view. I was born in LA, and learned its Spanish name as a child. So, these old names hang on, and honor the history of the place.

ANYhow, welcome to the OP, and do, please fill in your details in a general way. You don't need to put your street address up here, just a general idea of where you are. Thanks in advance,

Ann
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España:

The City of the Mission of Didacus of Alcala in Upper California, Vice-royalty of New Spain. AKA San Diego, CA.

If I was in New York city it would be "Nieuw Amsterdam".
Sorry, Sail Fish - your first thread and already you're experiencing thread drift.

We tend to do that on this Forum.

And Adelie, as clever as your location name is, my only point was that this is an international Forum whose langauge is English. Although I do speak French and basic Italian, I am not American and I do not speak Spanish. If your location is San Diego, CA. Be transparent and say "San Diego, CA". If your choice is not to be transparent, it's a teesy bit hypocritical to offer helpful pointers about including their location, however, until you had explained it all out above, I had no idea where that was.

Maybe other Americans would understand, but international members would not. Do you see how that effectively excludes non-Americans and non-Spanish speakers?

That's all I meant.

LittleWing77
Old 04-07-2020, 09:28   #14

Quote:
.... If your choice is not to be transparent, it's a teesy bit hypocritical to offer helpful pointers about including their location, however, until you had explained it all out above, I had no idea where that was.

Maybe other Americans would understand, but international members would not. Do you see how that effectively excludes non-Americans and non-Spanish speakers?

That's all I meant.

LittleWing77
It's only hypocritical if the reasons for having the info in the profile applies to me as much as it applies to newbies. For newbies that ask a lot of questions, some of which are location dependent having it in the profile and on each post it makes their life and the lives of potential responders easier.

I no longer have those types of questions so it's not making my life nor anybody else's easier.

I admit that it is ironic, and perhaps has bad optics, though most people seem to take it with the humor intended. Hypocritical, no it's not that.

No, other USA citizens do not generally understand, they tend to be rather parochial, though the USA cruisers here tend to be a bit less so than normal. The few that are curious enough to look into it and figure it out tend to also get the humor.

If one does a google search, the first thing that comes up explains everything. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mission_...de_Alcal%C3%A1
Old 04-07-2020, 10:12   #15

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Sail Fish - welcome aboard!

Tags
sail, sailing