Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:40   #1

Boat: Chris Craft, 33ft, 1971
New to Living Aboard and Owning a Boat

Hi everyone,
I have purchased a 1971 Chris Craft 33ft. to live aboard. It's also my first boat. Whole new world for me! I'm very excited. So far I'm learning alot but have also gotten a little overwhelmed at times. But I went in this knowing it wouldn't be easy. Right now I stay onboard on the weekends. I'm hoping to be onboard full time by the end of the month. My first issue had been that the 2 350 engines are seized up. But I have a mechanic that says he can fix them. I'm going to be moving my boat to a different marina. The slip is at a military marina right now. I've also been trying to decide which marina to go with. My choice has been a marina that offers alot of community programs but a distance from where I work. Or one closer to work that's $100 more a month and doesn't offer anything extra except being in a populated bay. I've pretty much decided to go with the cheaper one that offers more but further from my work. That one also has the uscg come and offer free courses on several different topics about boats. Which right now I can use all the info and advise I can get. I'm also new to the forums but I've already had alot of my questions answered from reading posts. I'm very grateful to have a place I can go to get answers from people who have been there done that.
HerBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56   #2

Congrats on the new boat. Hope you love it!
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:50   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Welcome to the world of living aboard. Marinas can be a good introduction to the live aboard lifestyle if you get the right marina. I would choose the marina that has the best security and that is the most friendly toward people living on their vessels. Nice showers and facilities are also important. I would rather travel a greater distance if it meant that my live aboard experience was better.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12   #4

Boat: Chris Craft, 33ft, 1971
Thank you for the welcome! The one I'm choosing is very live aboard friendly. They also have a RV park located next to it that I'll have access to. They offer alot of amenities. Hoping to be there by superbowl time. They're having a party with free beer and popcorn!
HerBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
That boat should be a great liveaboard and you're in a good area.
kind regards,
Old 09-01-2011, 16:23   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoat View Post
They're having a party with free beer and popcorn!
That is really important.

But if you have to drive more that 30 min to work it is too far...........wait, you are in CA. Hours is normal huh?

Never mind.

About seized engines. Hope you knew about that before purchase.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard