Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 10:46   #1

New to forum - Philly, PA

Greetings! Glad I found you guys! I've been searching the web for info on bareboat charters up and down the east coast, and most of my area/fleet specific searches have brought me here, so I thought it might be time to join the discussions!

Quick bio - I've been racing off-road motorcycles for most of my life, but found it difficult to include much of the family in that activity. Now that my son has joined us (three months ago yesterday to be exact), I felt the need to find a hobby... Being a gear-head at heart, I never really felt drawn to the sailing/cruising lifestyle. Just wasn't my 'speed' if you know what I mean... That all changed when my wife and I went to visit her brother in California. We sailed from Redondo Beach to Catalina Island on his 31-footer for an overnight, and I was HOOKED!

I grew-up on Lake Ontario and spent a few days every summer 'crewing' on hobie-cats and the occasional mono-hull... Last summer I decided to take sailing seriously and completed ASA 101 and 103 with Liberty Sailing School in Philly. I spent the rest of the summer renting whenever I could. This year it's ASA 104/105 in the hopes that we can start bareboating in the Chesapeake and eventually BVI and Florida Keys...

Anyways... That's my story in a nutshell... I look forward to contributing as well as picking all your brains!
CharlieRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:40   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Charlie! Welcome to CF.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Sailing is a terrific family activity. There are plenty of good chartering opportunities on the Chesapeake, so you'll be able to hone the skills you learn in the ASA courses. Hope you enjoy the Forum!

p.s. did you ever compete in the Delaware Enduro? I used to live in Wilmington and did some dirt bike riding on a Kawasaki, but non-competitive. A couple of guys I worked with were big in the Delaware Enduro Riders club.
Old 14-04-2009, 12:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
p.s. did you ever compete in the Delaware Enduro? I used to live in Wilmington and did some dirt bike riding on a Kawasaki, but non-competitive. A couple of guys I worked with were big in the Delaware Enduro Riders club.
I've ridden the Delaware National a few times since moving back east in 2001... Actually, it was the site of my most embarrasing motorcycle moment! They started the race by having the riders run a serpentine course on a flat sandy field. By the time minute 18 came up (my minute) there were some fairly deep, sandy berms in the corners and about 400 spectators watching the start... Don't you know that I crashed four times in four corners?!?! I'd never seen such a large crowed gathered at the start, and I've never ridden so poorly! The rest of the race went much better, fortunately!
Old 15-04-2009, 12:11   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Charlie Ray,
Welcome aboard! Back in my very much younger days I did a couple hillclimbs on my brother's Matchless 500cc single Scrambler. What a crazy sport!!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 14:32   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome CharlieRay,

I had my small boat moored at Columbus Yacht Club in Bristol. It was a short drive from NE Philadelphia. Boy can the river be troublesome. Cruised from Philadelphia to Sea Isle City, NJ a couple of times. Great memories.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 05:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
I had my small boat moored at Columbus Yacht Club in Bristol. It was a short drive from NE Philadelphia. Boy can the river be troublesome.
I took my ASA 101/103 on the Delaware River... Between the tidal currents and the commercial traffic, it can get interesting! How are the prevailing winds further up the river? We never made it past the Betsey Ross Bridge during our classes, but I've always wondered if it would be worth considering a slip/mooring up that way.

Sure, I'd rather sail right out of the northern Chesapeake, but I'd certainly use the boat more if it were 30-min from home instead of 1.5hrs away...
Old 16-04-2009, 07:04   #7

Boat: Jeanneau, Prestige 46 - Bliss
Welcome and come on down to the Chesapeake, lots to be discovered by boat here. We will finally start our season tomorrow at Fairlee Creek.
Big bliss is offline   Reply With Quote