Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 19:29   #1

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331
New to Forum and Sailing - please identify this sailboat

Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to this forum and to sailing. I've been always pulled to outdoors and water (through my other hobbies) but sailing has never really crossed my mind. That is until recently.

Just the other day, when I was working in my garage my neighbor dropped by, and started telling my about his sailboat. However the conversation has ended on how he's been thinking of getting rid of it over last couple of years as he's getting too old for it and doesn't have time or strength to take it out anymore. Right the way something clicked in my head. "I gotta try sailing!!!!"

Attached are couple of pictures of this boat. (Some wood trim pieces are off and summer doors are off as he took it off to clean it up for the summer.) All that I know this sailboat is 23' and, approximately 25 years old and has 10 hp inboard. Can anyone please identify this boat so I can read up more about it.

He has owned this sailboat for last 10 years, but this boat has been very gently used especially over last several years. However it's been in water every single year. Fiberglass is in excellent condition and sails are fairly new as they have been replaced recently.

He told me that he's willing to let it go to me for $5,000 CAD and i'm off the hook for the marina fees till the end of this year. He says that this is a killer deal as this sailboat is worth more. Based on the info that I have provided and the pictures do you think it's worth to pick it up for that price???

He also offered that he'll go out with me at the beginning to show me everything, but if I make my decision to pick it up I'll be signing up with my girlfriend for a course on sailing right the way.

Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. And thanks for your patience as I'm total newbie to sailing but I'm really interested and want to learn.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2717.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	3945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2722.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	3946  

Name:	IMG_2713.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	3947  
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 19:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
If $5,000 is a lot of money to you, consider this carefully.

If $5,000 is not a huge deal and this is something you want to do, I say go for it.

Realistically you need to plan on putting about $400 a month aside to care for the boat. The purchase price is just the begining.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 20:24   #3

The price is not heck of a lot. I always thought sailboat might be significantly more expansive. When he mentioned the price to me. I figured what the heck I might as well try it. The reason why I'm asking is I don't know what those sailboats go for. I don't mind paying the price as it sounds reasonable. And as in most hobbies... you always gotta cough up some cash to learn more and move forward.

I live about 15 min drive to the marina. So if I get it, this sailboat will no longer be just sitting there without being used. We're very interested and we're eager to learn.

Do any of you know what model this is??? Does anybody have any experience with those?? Or maybe you folks would recommend I should look into something else.

I'm looking for a cruiser. Something for a weekend getaway for my girlfriend and our dog. And to simply keep me busy.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.
Old 18-06-2008, 21:53   #4

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Szymek! welcome to the board . The easyest way to fined out is to get a surveyor. He will do the assesment and tell you exactly what you are getting in it. In Oakville where you live is a big polish sailing community ,and if you ask them they will take oyu on board and show you what sailing is all about. Just wach out ,sailing is uncureble desease ,once you get it ,you'll never get rid of it.
Fair winds and duzo wody pod kilem
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 10:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau 361 36'5" - Takin' It Easy
Hello Szymek and welcome! Check your email for a message I just sent you. I'm also a new member living in Oakville just a few blocks from the marina and might be able to lend a hand.
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
Mark Twain
La Bras D'or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 10:48   #6

If you want to know more about used boat prices visit boats.com or boatrader.com. They have thousands of boats and u might be able to identify this one, and get a ball park estimate on what might be a good price.
I am new too, to both this forum and to sailing. Just signed up for a class at the NY school for sailing in New Roc City.
Also please get a surveyor, everyone says that the only rule about buying a boat. And yeh; before u spend that cash, see if sailing is truly for you by signing up for a intro to sailing class nearby.
Good Luck.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 13:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Going only on the pictures it's seems better than a lot of boats costing more. If you add up what it costs to own, insure, maintain, and keep a slip the purchase price is not an obstacle.

Do the numbers so you understand the ongoing costs. Get it surveyed only to see what small things might need tending to. If there is a club near by then join it and get started right. Looks like a great first boat to me. If you kept it up you could get that money back on sale.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 13:30   #8

Hard to say what the boat is. Looks a little bit like an Edel but... Look towards the stern - either inside or outside the cockpit - and there will probably be a manufacturer's plate of some kind.

I don't think it's going to offer much space for cruising, a good boat to look for would be a CS 22, Catalina 22 or C&C 24. All of them can be found in decent condition around the same price.

Before you buy the boat make sure you can find somewhere to keep her. There are a few options in Oakville but they are not inexpensive. It will run you close to 3K per year and could easily go over that. LaSalle Park Marina in Burlington is the best priced place in your area, or depending on how much you like to drive, check out the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club.

Definitely get the boat surveyed. Even though it is not large, there could still be things wrong with it that will cost you as much as the purchase price to put right.

Before you buy anything check out the following site and go look at some other boats to get an idea of how the general condition of the one you're looking at compares:

boat for sale

There is a "valuguide" on that site that tells you the asking prices for various boats in this area. Find out what model the boat you are looking at is and then check it against the valuguide to find out if it's in line with the rest of the market.

Good Luck ! Hope everything works out well.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 14:57   #9

Welcome

I have no idea what kind of boat this is.

My personal definition of a 'cruiser class sailboat' is:

1. Inboard engine capable of charging batteries.

2. Fixed ballasted keel - or swing/centerboard but with significant fixed ballast.

3. Some standing headroom below deck for normal sized people. I have never seen this in a 23' boat. Generally it starts at somewhere around 25 - 27'

Having said all that, a long long time ago my first cruiser class sailboat was a 1964 27' "United" - never saw another one, never heard or learned anything about the manufacturer; but she was a good old boat and she served me well. Everything others have said about repair, maintenance costs, etc. is true.

Good Luck.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 17:57   #10

Thank you for all the responses. I am very glad that I ended up on this forum.

That is great that there's Polish community at the marina here. Very neat!!! But I'll sail or talk about sailing with anybody that is willing to share their knowledge and listen to my questions. I'm very eager to learn. Sometiemes I need to learn to put some breaks on.... hence I'm here and investigating further before I make the final decision.

La Bras D'or: I`ve responded to your email. I could definitely use a hand from someone that is more experienced and willing to help a newbie. Plus we`re near by.

I will browse the classifieds that you folks provided to see what else is out there.

In terms of surveyor: I did not consider that. But definitely worth looking into to see to ensure she`s safe to sail. Current owner told me that he had it priced 3 years ago. Would pricing it include surveyingÉ Apparently 3 years ago this boat was priced at $10500, and it`s been barely used since then.

In terms of keeping her: she`s in the marina right now. So i assume that if I take her marine will let me stay with her. Currently the owner is paying $1500 a year. So that`s very reasonable.

So in terms of marina annual fees, insur., maint., and my labor time. I`m good to go.

I`m poking around to ensure that i`m getting a good deal. I`ve been also considering increasing the budget slightly ($10000 would be max for cost of the boat for now) to see if I can get something slightly bigger and better. Bit more headroom below the deck would definitely be beneficial especially since we would like to spend a weekend (overnight) on her from time to time over the summer.

But Pblais makes a really good point. This is my first sailboat, so I can learn few things on her and over the summer bring her to even better condition and hopefully I would get my money back within 1-2 years to invest in something bigger and better.

Wow I can see how this can be addictive. I really got my heart set on getting one and learning. So hopefully i`ll be sailing very soon.
Old 19-06-2008, 19:09   #11

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Marina slips (you'll probably have to apply for the one the boat is in if you keep it there) insurance and surveyors are generally all intertwined. If he tells you the keel is about to fall off you want to know about it...

If you don't want it hauled then skin dive around the boat and examine the fiberglass down there (should be pretty smooth - not too many of these things they call "blisters").

In response to slomotion - you wouldn't call a Flika a cruising boat? Anyway small boats are distinctly less worrysome to start with and if you're happy camping in a tent then something like this can be good for extended weekend cruising.....

And she looks pretty, which is important.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 19:44   #12

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post

And she looks pretty, which is important.
And as we all know, far more important than we should let it be.
But frankly, who can sail well a boat, when their heart isn't in it?

Yes, listen to those above about a survey, and ongoing maintenance, insurance, and slip costs. The size is fine to start, you aren't planning a solo 3-month cruise. Be there with the inspector, 'cuz just like buying a house, it's your money with your hired professional to learn as much as you can about your purchase.
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 13:05   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Looks like Oakville, Ont. is quickly becoming the Cruisers Forum capital .

Seriously though, there's a good history of boat building and enjoying around the area. There are also some nice day cruises that would be good to test your skills. If you need any help or local info about sailing send me a pm and I can steer you in the right direction.
Old 08-07-2008, 22:20   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Szymek,
Welcome aboard! It appears you have lots of help already. I can't truly identify the boat but it looks like a Ranger to me.
I am a little concerned by the appearance of the spreaders. It might be an optical illusion and just the photo but spreaders should not be pointing down. It is ok for them to be pointing a bit aft and that could make them appear pointing downward.
Good luck.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 19:28   #15

Hey Folks,

I haven't posted here in a while...

La Bras D'or offered to help and I took it on. :-) Very knowledgeable fellow that has helped me tremendously.

I decided not to take this boat. It's a nice looking boat, but it just didn't do it for me. It turned out that it needed a lot more work than I was expecting.

So with help of La Bras D'or I looked at quite a few boats and once I saw some pics of Catalina's I knew that was it. First thing I did I drove to the marina just to find a Catalina to see what she looks like in person.

Then I found add for this one particular Catalina 25. She's beautiful and in top notch condition. She's been really looked after..... But the price was way over my planned budget, but what the heck.... I did it, she's mine!!!!!

I've already spent majority of the weekend sailing and scrubbing the deck. But honestly.... she's in such a good condition that there wasn't even much to clean. :-)

This is really an excellent forum!!!!!

Attached are few pics of my new baby!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	4255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	4256