Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 11:02   #1
Registered User
Andrew Hamilton's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Chattanooga TN.
Boat: Island Trader 41
Posts: 29
New to forum

I'm getting a divorce and I am letting her buy me out of the house. So instead of convention living arrangements I bought a island trader 41(it's not a leaky teaky). Iplan to sail it from NE around up half the loop to Chattanooga TN. My sons are still in highschool there, when they graduate lookouts world. I not really a newby I lived on a 50ft topsail schooner north of Boston 25 years ago in another life. I don't know which forum if right, but what kind of operating licences would I need to do this half loop and park in tenn. for awhile. Radio, Coast Guard, tennessee?
Andrew Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,351
New to forum

You will need no license that Iím aware of, I would register the boat with the USCG if itís not already done, and you may have to buy a State registration, which brings you to having to prove taxes have been paid.

If you have an SSB radio you will need both a radio station license for the boat, and a radio telephone license for you to use it. Both are just tax stamps, no knowledge test.

Verify any advice you get on the internet of course, many will mean well, but may be wrong, Tennessee may have some requirement that Iím unaware of for instance.
Wouldnít hurt to look for a live aboard Marina now, I have no idea how prevalent they are in Tennessee
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:54   #3
Registered User
Nicholson58's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Caribbean live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 6,322
Images: 84
Re: New to forum

Radio station license is free at We$t Marine for use in the US only. We have never been asked for our station license anywhere.

USCG 6-pack or Masters May reduce insurance cost but it is not required.

You will be required to pay sales tax somewhere. Reciprocity usually limits this to not more than where the boat is ‘home’. Most states also charge a water use tax or fee. You only need this at the home state.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 03:39   #4
Senior Cruiser
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 48,330
Images: 241
Re: New to forum

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Andrew.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Info: New Forum and Sub-Forum Janet H Fountaine Pajot 14 25-10-2020 07:58
new to forum, new to sailing, now to choose on a boat.. :) Capt Darren Meets & Greets 5 16-06-2007 07:16
New boat & new to forum ldrumond Meets & Greets 4 10-04-2007 01:40

Advertise Here

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.