Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 07:10   #1

Boat: Camano Troll
New to Forum

I'm considering a 2000 Camano Troll and I came across this forum. My wife and I currently own a 24' sports cruiser and while we overnight on a regular basis it's really too small for extended cruises.

If we end up with the Camano, we will be cruising up and down the US east coast (ICW) from the Charleston, SC area. We hope to meet new friends while cruising.

Concerns on the Camano we are looking at:

No lower helm seat. It was an option and this boat doesn't have it.

Manual anchor windlass.

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:28   #2

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Welcome!

Lot's of good information here. I'm sure your Camano Troll questions will be answered quickly.
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Ron,

This layout is not unlike a lot of the tiawan trawlers of the late 1970's. Not having the lower station is an issue. Sometimes when it gets a bit rough the upper station sways a great deal.

I would seriously think about adding a full canvas / Strataglass enclosure. Friends with a fly bridge sportfish have only an upper station and they do pretty well with the enclosure. It's bad enough when the weather is not so nice to at least be dry and warm. Of course when the weather is nice the upper station is where you will want to be and can open up the sides as required. For early spring and late fall trips when the weather is actually nicer for cruising it's nice to have it. This is something that isn't inexpensive but check around and get the best shop you can find for the job. It's pretty easy to sell you a cheap job and not so easy to get a good one. If this is a boat you'll close on soon I would start lining up canvas work ASAP or you won't get it done this spring.

We tend to have more sail boats here than power boats but we have a few so you should not feel left out.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 13:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Ron,

This layout is not unlike a lot of the tiawan trawlers of the late 1970's. Not having the lower station is an issue. Sometimes when it gets a bit rough the upper station sways a great deal.
I didn't make that very clear. The boat has a full lower helm station except there is no seat. There's a socket in the floor for a pedestal but the original owner didn't order that option. I suppose I could find one to fit and a seat or possibly order one from the factory. Boat parts are not cheap, though.

I'm thinking I don't want to stand to operate the boat for long periods if I need to use the lower station.
Old 08-02-2008, 14:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Oh, I see now Seats are things you can just buy. It's only money. Standing works for a few hours then gets old. get something you can see from thogh. Visibility on the lower stations is not always that great as it is.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 15:10   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rwidman,
Welcome aboard! Hope you can find the answers you need here. I wouldn't think the seat would be a big issue and, in any case, I'm certain they can be had on eBay or Craigslist as long as they come down in the price of your boat because it doesn't have one.
Manual anchor windlasses are good exercise. However, you can purchase an electric and install it yourself if it is a big concern.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 14:55   #7

Well, it's mine pending a survey.

Hope to meet some of you on the ICW.
Old 19-02-2008, 14:57   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well, it's mine pending a survey.

Hope to meet some of you on the ICW.
My boat (see profile at left) is at City Marina. I'm down there about every other weekend, so give a yell out to "Woodstock" on your way by...
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 15:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Ron,
Welcome Aboard!

West Marine and Defender Industries sell all kinds of pedestals and seats. It's a simple matter of bolting one on. Going through your boats manufacturer will cost you more money.

A manual anchor winch is fine for a boat your size. Give it a try first, you can always buy an electric one if the manual one is too hard.

On a boat your size the trick is to bring the boat to the anchor until the rode is pretty much vertical. You then secure the anchor rode, back down and then break the anchor loose. After it is free of the bottom you then pull it up by hand. It will be rare when you even need to use the winch. You wont need to bust your butt if you do it right.

Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender

West Marine: Home Page

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 15:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Ron,
Welcome Aboard!

West Marine and Defender Industries sell all kinds of pedestals and seats. It's a simple matter of bolting one on. Going through your boats manufacturer will cost you more money.
I've checked those vendors. The socket appears to be about 3" in diameter and tapered. Taco makes two pedestals, one fixed and one adjustable that look like they would fit the existing socket. The advantage is that removing the pedestal and seat gives better engine access.

There's a Camano owners forum where I can probably get some better information but there's no access until you actually own one.

Here's a link to the boat:

2000 Camano Troll powerboat for sale in South Carolina

The socket is barely visible in the photo of the helm with the folding chair in the foreground.
Old 19-02-2008, 15:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
My boat (see profile at left) is at City Marina. I'm down there about every other weekend, so give a yell out to "Woodstock" on your way by...
OK, we'll do that. We often anchor in the anchorage in our current boat and just watch the action.
Old 19-02-2008, 15:45   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Thats a nice looking boat. Enjoy!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 15:47   #13
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I've checked those vendors. The socket appears to be about 3" in diameter and tapered. Taco makes two pedestals, one fixed and one adjustable that look like they would fit the existing socket. The advantage is that removing the pedestal and seat gives better engine access.

There's a Camano owners forum where I can probably get some better information but there's no access until you actually own one.

Here's a link to the boat:

2000 Camano Troll powerboat for sale in South Carolina

The socket is barely visible in the photo of the helm with the folding chair in the foreground.
The Camano forum may be able to tell you more, but probably not. The manufacturers of the boats all buy their stuff from elsewhere. I'd be surprised if any boat made in the last few decades made their own pedastals. If there is a manufacturer's name on the socket that will probably tell you all you need to know. And unless there is some reason that changing out the mounts is a big deal, I wouldn't let that make me stick to that maker unless they had a seat that really fit my needs.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 15:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
The Camano forum may be able to tell you more, but probably not. The manufacturers of the boats all buy their stuff from elsewhere. I'd be surprised if any boat made in the last few decades made their own pedastals. If there is a manufacturer's name on the socket that will probably tell you all you need to know. And unless there is some reason that changing out the mounts is a big deal, I wouldn't let that make me stick to that maker unless they had a seat that really fit my needs.
I called Camano but they have changed owners since my boat was made. The person who called me back said it might have been one of several manufacturers including Taco.

The socket has a hinged cover with a raised image of a three masted sailboat on it. I suppose there could be some additional identification on the underside.
Old 19-02-2008, 16:00   #15

Quote:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones that you did do.

That is much of the reason we decided to go ahead with this boat purchase.