Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2019, 14:35   #1

New to Cruisers Forum

Just wanted to say hello, I am new to CF. I have currently reside in Spring Texas and spend as many weekends as I can sailing Galveston Bay. Thanks for all the useful posts..
Brayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 16:03   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: New to Cruisers Forum

Hi Brayfield, Welcome to the forum. I learn something every time I log on to Cruiser's Forum.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 08:58   #3

Boat: Outbound 46

Active on SN and attainable adventures but occasionally here in the background so thought it good to join and waste more time��
I’m a long term cruiser between New England and windwards.
Outbound46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 02:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brayfield.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 19:51   #5

Hi everyone
I'm new to cf forum as y'all likely guessed.

A little about me, first sailing experience for me was at the age of 6 in Polish with a bunch of family and friends. I restored a little Oday 15 sailboat. I sailed it numerous times until I went back to finish college.. boat got sold and now I'm scheduled to take some sailing training on Lake of the Woods. I'm also on a look out for either CS27 or a C&C27 until I get good then upgrade in 5 years or so.

I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here and maybe even meeting someone on the LOTW.

Cheers
Grenlin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 19:56   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Welcome aboard! Any questions you have about anchors, guns on board, or colregs and your right of way, feel free to ask!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 02:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Grenlin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 22:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Welcome aboard! Any questions you have about anchors, guns on board, or colregs and your right of way, feel free to ask!
Haha you're the man

Speaking of firearms.. I'm Canadian, my gf is American (yes I envy and respect the second amendment). Do you keep arms on your boat if you sail near potentially dangerous waters? I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get permits to have firearms on board. Or is the boat considered American soil?

Matt
Old 22-08-2019, 23:46   #9

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenlin87 View Post
Haha you're the man

Speaking of firearms.. I'm Canadian, my gf is American (yes I envy and respect the second amendment). Do you keep arms on your boat if you sail near potentially dangerous waters? I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get permits to have firearms on board. Or is the boat considered American soil?

Matt
The grin says it's a joke. Those are the subjects that seem to create the most consternation and the least consensus on this forum.

The boat isn't any country once it's in international waters, and you're subject to the laws of any country you visit. If you're travelling internationally you need to be very careful indeed of all applicable laws if you intend carrying firearms. Ignorance or breach of any obscure laws could easily cost you your boat or a holiday in some pretty unpleasant prisons. I don't carry firearms ever so you'll need to look elsewhere for any more details: searching this forum will find you endless information.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 00:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The grin says it's a joke. Those are the subjects that seem to create the most consternation and the least consensus on this forum.

The boat isn't any country once it's in international waters, and you're subject to the laws of any country you visit. If you're travelling internationally you need to be very careful indeed of all applicable laws if you intend carrying firearms. Ignorance or breach of any obscure laws could easily cost you your boat or a holiday in some pretty unpleasant prisons. I don't carry firearms ever so you'll need to look elsewhere for any more details: searching this forum will find you endless information.
Gotcha
I was just wondering since while I'm mss training we were taught that when screening crew coming onto a ship we're to never do it at the ground level. Only ever do it standing at the deck as the ship was American soil. I'm guessing it's a totally different thing being merchant ships vs. a private sailboat.
Old 23-08-2019, 07:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenlin87 View Post
Gotcha
I was just wondering since while I'm mss training we were taught that when screening crew coming onto a ship we're to never do it at the ground level. Only ever do it standing at the deck as the ship was American soil. I'm guessing it's a totally different thing being merchant ships vs. a private sailboat.

Flag of registry does NOT make a vessel sovereign territory whether merchant or private.

Here's the US interpretation:
https://www.gc.noaa.gov/gcil_jurisdiction.html
Port State Jurisdiction

A State may exercise jurisdiction over foreign flagged merchant vessels within its ports and internal waters. Cunard S.S. Co. v. Mellon, 262 U.S. 100, 124 (1923); Benz v. Companie Naviera Hidalgo, S.A. 353 U.S. 138, 142 (1957); Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Line Ltd., 545 U.S. 119, 130-31 (2005). This exercise of jurisdiction derives from the principle of territoriality, which is recognized as customary international law. See The Schooner Exchange v. McFaddon, 11 U.S. (7 Cranch) 116, 136 (1812) (“The jurisdiction of a nation within its own territory is necessarily exclusive and absolute.”). Territoriality gives a State exclusive authority to regulate persons within its borders. The exercise of this type of jurisdiction is dependent on the location of the conduct. So long as the conduct regulated falls within the territory of the State, it has jurisdiction. Thus a State may apply its laws to foreign flagged merchant ships while they are within its ports and internal waters, which are considered part of its territory. Restatement (Third) of Foreign Relations Law § 512, comment h (1987).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum