Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 18:40   #61
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30
Re: New Skipper, Old Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Calm weather is NOT the issue, even though it is the hurricane season. She needs to get hands-on seamanship knowledge/experience first. Would you dare sailing your boat if you didn't know how to read a chart? (Some people do just that, but nature takes care of them.)

Mauritz
but you said even old salts get into trouble there,why?carelessness yes but not the sea that's what is sinking most of your boats up there it seems.also she never said she was going to do this on a whim. idk what I'm missing here
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 21:15   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Gah- used to sail the keys. Fine area. You have to come up here and sail. I can't explain the forgotten coast to you, other than take one of your Northerners, double it and put it out there 60 % of the time. Make it so you that even if you read all the weather correctly, that you get into the muck at least once in your journey, and then wipe out every place to anchor and ride out storms between Ft. Myers and Marathon. Thats about it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 22:37   #63

Boat: Fortune 30

I'd say a more reasonable itinerary for you would be to take the first year and learn your boat. Maybe take it to Port Townsend, where they have some fine wooden shipwrights, and have them thoroughly assess her condition (and maybe give you some good advice too). Then, take as much time as you can to cruise around the area, both in Puget Sound and offshore for a few days a time (at first, then increase the trip lengths). The next season, head south to CA and do a good reassessment while there and supplies are relatively readily available. If you feel comfortable then and the weather's right, continue to the ditch. If not, wait until the next year and make upgrades/practice sailing more. It would take a lot longer, but it is a more conservative approach that might still allow you to live that dream. Heck, it would allow you to live that dream for 2-3 years before you even get back to the east coast! Whatever you choose, good luck and I hope that only little things go wrong for you to learn from. I would wish that it was all smooth sailing the whole way, but that's just unrealistic silliness that would somewhat defeat the purpose of living your dream anyway.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:20   #64

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Man...Lot's of heavy assumptions here. For one...she could easily get someone experienced to go along with her. She doesn't have to pay a freakin professional. Secondly, she does have some sailing experience. I think she is just trying to keep things light is all. Next...We...non of us, know what shape the vessel is in. Last year we had a guy on an old Islander 28 come through the Bay area with no money, a terminal debilitating disease on a very ill equip boat. Rebel Heart saw him in Turtle Bay Mx. in the same shape. Now I hear he's going through the canel. I know we need to be as safe as possible but geeeez guys, let her have a little adventure!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:23   #65

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

There are other hazards besides weather from Flattery to Conception. Trying to cross bars even in good weather if the freshets are running and the tide is incoming, for example. The seas can be dead calm but so foggy you can't see the bow of your boat. There is a lot of traffic out about 15-20 miles so a good radar is necessary if you're that close in to shore. Out past 30-40 miles less traffic and weather improves. Also, there is a fair bit of crap in the water that is invisible at night... easy to wrap a prop under power or hook onto a piece of line under sail.
You are almost guaranteed of some kind of failure, either rigging, steering, or engine problem so you have know how to fix it or have someone aboard who can.
Constant weather update capacity is critical as it changes quickly so a weatherfax and knowledge how to read it or HF radio capability is necessary.
While I initially encouraged Salty Fox to do the trip, there were a number of caveates I attached to the recommendation, at least for the US leg south. Once you get into Mexican and Costa Rican waters, things change, weather wise, generally for the good but you have language issues and parts are not as readily available should you need repairs. There are a couple of long passages across the gulf that you need to navigate and be up on the weather however there are 2 or 3 nets that give relatively accurate weather reports. As you aproach the Canal from the Pacific side, winds normally drop substantially depending on the time of year so a reliable engine is pretty much required. Heavy marine traffic also becomes problematic on your approach.
These are just a few of her considerations she needs to think about... would be happy to discuss in more detail in a pm... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper