Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 14:02   #16

Boat: 37' Rafiki Cutter
Re: New Sailor, some Questions for you

Can someone identify the tab on the rudder on the bottom of my boat. Is this what I would connect an autosteering (or windvane) system up to? Thanks!

Bottom Boat - 37' Rafiki Cutter Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
PhaseSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:28   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseSpace View Post
Can someone identify the tab on the rudder on the bottom of my boat. Is this what I would connect an autosteering (or windvane) system up to? Thanks!

Bottom Boat - 37' Rafiki Cutter Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
It's called a trim tab. It can be used as part of a self-steering system. I've never used one, and don't know how to set it up, but there are others on here who would know. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Interesting how our boat does not have the tab the way yours does. I'm going to take a close look at our rudder to see if it was removed. Our boat also does not have the boom gallows anymore (although I can see where it once was located). Our boat went through a major refit a couple of owners ago. Some of the teak was replaced with hefty stainless steel. This includes the boomkin and the deck rail. Our chainplates were also converted to externals, and moves slightly further out on the beam (along the hull of the boat)
Old 16-11-2013, 20:20   #18

Trim tab, interesting. I will have to look up what I can hook it up to. I might have to do some work on my trim tab as the metal hinges look very rusted on my ship from what I recall.

Been looking at different Rafiki cutters online, seems no two are exactly the same, especially after all these years. Some of them look like they are in very rough shape for sure.
Old 17-11-2013, 06:00   #19

Very true. The boats are all approaching 40 years old now. They were very well built, so you gotta figure all remaining ones have been significantly modified over time.

Here's our baby.

As you can see, the chainplates are now external, and the boomkin is stainless. We carry our Aries windvane and a windmill off the boomkin.

What interior do you have? Ours came without the pilot berth on the starboard side, and instead has additional cabinets, but I've seen some with pilot berths above the stbd settee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7064.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	70592  
Old 17-11-2013, 09:15   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

While the appendage on your rudder looks like a trim tab, I rather doubt if it would work to drive the rudder as in a self steering gear.

Trim tabs are usually fitted to rudders with significant balance area or on long extension arms to give them greater leverage in forcing the rudder to turn.

I don't believe that this device was original on any Rafiki 37. I've seen a number of them over the years, and none were so fitted. I rather suspect that some PO tried it out, found that it didn't work and abandoned the idea but didn't remove the tab.

Many R-37s are fitted with a servo pendulum gear (Aires, Monitor, etc), and they seem to work very well for them. That type of gear can generate the considerable power needed to drive the somewhat heavy helm on these boats.

We encounter a fair number of R-37s that are actually out cruising... it is a design that has stood the test of time well, and you should enjoy yours.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-11-2013, 10:17   #21

Jim, thanks for that info. It might explain why the hinges of the trim are not connected up to the zink line and are so rusty. I'll definitely have a close look when I get out back out to the boat.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:23   #22

Mike, you certainly have good looking boat! What is the meaning of the name 'Pachina Mia'? Was it named by you or previous owner?

My boat layout has a berth on the starboard side, I think most do. However, there seem to be lots of variations between sheeps into how it is set up. Some have simply a bed in the area with shelves under it. Other like mine have some storage above and bench beside it. The bench pulls out and turns into a bed.

In the storage area I have the stereo system, electronics, and breaker board. I could potentially remove all that and put the bed back in, if so desired.

Here is a pic of my interior looking from the head back to the cockpit entrance.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:31   #23

Mike, you certainly have a nice looking sailboat! Did you name the boat, or is it the original name?

Here is a pic of my interior looking from the head back to entrance. The bench pulls out and becomes a bed. Up top is storage for electronics and the breaker board. The area could be cleared out and have enough room for a person to sleep. I noticed online that there is a lot of variation in this starboard area on the Rafiki.

Interior - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Old 17-11-2013, 14:55   #24

Quote:
Mike, you certainly have a nice looking sailboat! Did you name the boat, or is it the original name?

Here is a pic of my interior looking from the head back to entrance. The bench pulls out and becomes a bed. Up top is storage for electronics and the breaker board. The area could be cleared out and have enough room for a person to sleep. I noticed online that there is a lot of variation in this starboard area on the Rafiki.
And yours looks equally nice. They really are incredibly well built boats. Sounds like yours has the pilot berth on the stbd -- that's where you're storing the electronics. I see you also have the ceiling-hanging cabinet in the galley. I'm jealous. Ours was removed at some point.

"Pachina Mia" is the original name of our boat. I think it is spanish (or a sub-dialect), meaning something like "my little sweetheart". The boat has deeper cruising pedigree than we ever will, so we decided to keep the name -- even though it's a bit of a mouthful.

How about yours? Original name, or did you rename her?

BTW, I've very glad to see Jim chime in here. He too has deeper cruising pedigree than I ever will. I concur with his comments. That tab is very small compared to the rudder. Hard to see how that would work.
Old 18-11-2013, 14:32   #25

Quote:
How about yours? Original name, or did you rename her?
As far as I'm aware it is the original name. However, I don't have a complete history of the vessel. From what I know it was made in Taiwan, then someone in New Zealand owned and sailed her for many years. Sailed her to Hawaii about 2006, then passed through about two owners before coming to me. I don't think I will ever sell her unless I need to upgrade to a larger sailboat for some reason.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:39   #26

I believe all the Rafiki-37s were Taiwanese-built boats. Not sure about the 35s. They were sold by an American company called Western Pacific Yacht, which seemed to be based on the US west coast. I've never been able to find out much about them. Most of the Rafiki's are still found on the west coast, but many have sailed around the world (including ours).

If you need any details on build construction, just let me know. I have a copy of the actual design blueprints (thanks to the PO of our boat). Best of luck. And who knows, we may be in your neighbourhood in 5-8 years.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:57   #27

We can have a Rafiki race one day, ha.

I certainly would love to get my hands on a copy of the blue prints, if that's possible?
Old 18-11-2013, 18:01   #28

Nice boat, congratulations.

Of all the "How To Sail" books that are out there, you would do well to consider "Sailing for Dummies." Really. Good book, most likely could get it used for next to nothing.

That would help you start using nautical terms, at the very least.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 18:26   #29

Thanks, I might check it out. I got a couple nice books on the go. The 'Dummies' series can be an excellent starting point for some topics. I've never really clicked with any I've tried to read tho.

Quote:
That would help you start using nautical terms, at the very least.
"Shiver me timbers!" works right?
Old 19-11-2013, 05:36   #30

Quote:
We can have a Rafiki race one day, ha.

I certainly would love to get my hands on a copy of the blue prints, if that's possible?
I sometimes threaten to join our club racers with my Rafiki. Brings a smile to all the racers. But who knows ... with my handicap I could come in a hour late and still win .

I'd love to be able to share the blueprints, but unfortunately they are large-size prints. I have no way to scan them. I have taken photos of some of them (when I was helping out another Rafiki owner). Here are few examples. As I say, if there an area of your boat you want info on, I might be able to send similar pics of the blueprints.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rudder.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	70713   Click image for larger version

Name:	hull.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	70714  

Name:	Overall Rafiki.jpg