Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 09:32   #1

New sailor from UK

Hi to everyone!
I have ended up here looking for information on the best possible sailing boat I can get for crossing oceans, yeah blue water boat. Yeah I didnt create a thread asking about it coz surely there is loads of them already lol.
So last year this whole covid thing made me realise there is more to life than working my ass off every day mental hours. In few years (while still working my ass off for now) I will be in position to buy a boat and spend time traveling the world and living on the boat.
So I am looking for suggestions here, what would be my best choice of used boat if I want it to cross oceans every now and again.

shyboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 11:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New sailor from UK

Welcome to CF..
All I can say is your in a country where boats are designed for the Irish Sea, the North Sea and English Channel, all challenging waters for at least 2/3rds of the year.. plenty of builds to choose from for all budgets..
Westerlies, Rivals, Oysters, Sadlers, Bowmans to name a few.. or you could look to Holland at Koopmans Yachts if your budget is larger and aluminium is your choice.
Enjoy the hunt.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 11:25   #3

Re: New sailor from UK

Thanks boatman61
Ok so aluminium thats a start
Do you think 50k gbp is sufficient budget to get a safe and comfy boat?
Old 18-06-2021, 11:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not for an aluminium Koopmans, or an Ovni come to that but there's plenty of GRP boats in that budget.. you have some names, just decide on your size and start looking...
www.apolloduck.com

Old 18-06-2021, 11:39   #5

What would my budget need to be for aluminium?
Old 18-06-2021, 11:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Here are some options, but still think I would stick with GRP:

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/search....q=1&x=1#result
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 11:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well this 36ftr will set you back just under £70,000..
https://www.boatshop24.com/en/koopma...ilboat/1482698

Old 18-06-2021, 12:01   #8

OK I suppose I will need to rethink my budget
Old 18-06-2021, 12:04   #9

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyboos View Post
What would my budget need to be for aluminium?

Why do you want to buy a aluminium boat?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:08   #10

Anders thanks for reply, what I am after Is a boat that will take me across oceans maybe once a year or two. Boatman61 has suggested aluminium. Obviously i will be avoiding sailing in rough weather but for sure it can't always be avoided right? I am planing to live on that boat so could do with reasonable size also.
Old 18-06-2021, 12:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, shyboos.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:27   #12

Shyboos:

Save the looking at actual boats till you are closer to being able to check out. Use the time till then to educate yourself about boats. Start by coming to understand that the seaworthiness of a boat has nothing to do with the material from which the hull is made, and that at this point in your evolution into a sailor there are many, many more important things for you to consider. Bear in mind that the vast majority of yachts that cross oceans - even as I write - are "frozen snot" (fibreglass) boats. That construction material is, ultimately and for many reasons, the most suitable for a novice's first boat.

Put some effort into coming to understand that it is NOT the boat that takes the crew safely across the ocean. It's the crew, particularly the skipper, that takes the boat safely across the ocean.

Here is a ref to a site where the basic traits of many, many sailboats are set forth:

https://sailboatdata.com/

Skull around there and do some "compare and contrast" thinking about the divers boats listed there. Come to understand what the numbers all mean.

You are in the UK, you say, so go join a sailing club. Even if you are in Birmingham, join a sailing club! Learn the basics sailing dinghies on the reservoir. Then skive off to the Solent and sign on as crew on a smallish cruising boat. Meanwhile take all the theory courses you can find, including those on meteorology and on engine maintenance. Learn your radio protocol.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking that buying and operating a boat that can "cross oceans" is anything like buying a motorcar and blasting it up the M1. It ain't!!

All the best to you.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyboos View Post
Anders thanks for reply, what I am after Is a boat that will take me across oceans maybe once a year or two. Boatman61 has suggested aluminium. Obviously i will be avoiding sailing in rough weather but for sure it can't always be avoided right? I am planing to live on that boat so could do with reasonable size also.
I gave you a list of GRP boat marques.. I only suggested aluminium if you wanted a tougher more expensive boat..
All I know is you want a live aboard that can cross oceans but you don't say which.. Koopmans are for the high latitudes as well as the tropics.. go anywhere boats from a country that knows metal boats.
But South of 50N and N of 40S GRP boats are just fine.

Old 18-06-2021, 17:02   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

My friend has a small Rival. UK has tons of very seaworthy boats. To all budget levels. Start with Contessas and end with Oysters. Probably one of the best places to buy a small and good boat.

If I had $$ and were to buy my first boat in the UK, I would be tempted to use a C32. Easy to buy and sell. Easy to sail. Fast, safe, comfortable. Keeps value and is a pleasure to look at.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 22:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Shyboos:

Save the looking at actual boats till you are closer to being able to check out. Use the time till then to educate yourself about boats. Start by coming to understand that the seaworthiness of a boat has nothing to do with the material from which the hull is made, and that at this point in your evolution into a sailor there are many, many more important things for you to consider. Bear in mind that the vast majority of yachts that cross oceans - even as I write - are "frozen snot" (fibreglass) boats. That construction material is, ultimately and for many reasons, the most suitable for a novice's first boat.

Put some effort into coming to understand that it is NOT the boat that takes the crew safely across the ocean. It's the crew, particularly the skipper, that takes the boat safely across the ocean.

Here is a ref to a site where the basic traits of many, many sailboats are set forth:

https://sailboatdata.com/

Skull around there and do some "compare and contrast" thinking about the divers boats listed there. Come to understand what the numbers all mean.

You are in the UK, you say, so go join a sailing club. Even if you are in Birmingham, join a sailing club! Learn the basics sailing dinghies on the reservoir. Then skive off to the Solent and sign on as crew on a smallish cruising boat. Meanwhile take all the theory courses you can find, including those on meteorology and on engine maintenance. Learn your radio protocol.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking that buying and operating a boat that can "cross oceans" is anything like buying a motorcar and blasting it up the M1. It ain't!!

All the best to you.

TrentePieds

Thanks a lot for your message! Currently I am.not looking for an actual boat, what I doing is trying to estimate a budget which is why I am looking at boats 😅 all points taken into account, thank you. I was planing to go to gran canaria this March to get few weeks training however these plans were ruined by covid and will have to wait for better days.

Tags
sail