Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 15:06   #1

Boat: Bristol 26'
New sailor from Deltaville

Ahoy,
I'm an aspiring sailor who bought a boat first. Crazy huh? Well I've already learned alot around here and I hope to return my '75 Bristol 26' #223 to service, safely and in good order.
I joined today to introduce myself and to show some progress and of course benefit from your advice and experience, thanks.

-Tom

My sailboat "Mahogany"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jcYKGUffeW2r9FtA8
1camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New sailor from Deltaville

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:06   #3

Boat: B24

Welcome, we had a B24 for nearly ten years (if it were just up to me, we’d probably still have it, but…) and although we never quite returned it to yacht-quality, it was a stout little cruiser that served us well and educated grandkids on sailing and the way of boats. Best of luck...
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Once you get your boat like you want it, Deltaville is in a great starting location for exploring the bay. The bay is about 20 miles wide there and 30 wide a few miles North so you'll have lots of space to practice.

You can sail straight across to Folly Creek and Onancock is just a bit North on that side. On the Western side you can sail South to Mobjack Bay or the Hampton Roads area or North to Annapolis and beyond.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:15   #5

Thanks for the welcome

Ya, I really like Deltaville. I've lived in Va all my life and had never been there, now it's my new happy place! I bought the boat on the hard there and have been working on it a year.
I changed the portlights to tempered glass (not a great idea), pulled out the head and filled those thru hulls. I changed the other two seacocks. Stripped and refinished the inside wood. Removed all the stantions and filled and fixed all the freshwater leaks. Faired the bottom and hull and painted them. Now I have to replace the rubber rubrail and standing rigging, hope to splash this summer.
I bought this boat because it checked all my boxes and I didn't think I'd find another one that did...and I haven't. I was looking for the smallest boat I could imagine my wife and I staying in for a week that took an outboard in a lazerette.
Deltaville is a great place to explore with many destinations within a day or so away. My long term plans are to take it to Elizabeth City and points south from there..

Thanks again for the welcome, hope to meet some of you along the way.
-Tom
Old 04-03-2019, 07:24   #6

Hey Welcome

I would check out these guys too

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...oatowners/info

Pretty good owners group.
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:57   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Tom, Welcome to the forum. You have a great boat, at looks like it will be in very good shape when you launch.

As others have noted you are in a great cruising location. Home base for me is just across the river.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:54   #8

I'm really excited about exploring the area. I've been using an ICW explorer app and discovering the different marinas and rates around..very happy where I am. It's amazing to me how much prices go up on the western side of the Chesapeake north of the Rappahannock river. Really makes that eastern side look inviting..
Old 04-03-2019, 09:23   #9

There's free anchoring near the Wharf in Onancock. The creek is about 5 miles long and 8' deep. They have a small dinghy dock also and you can get a slip if you want

https://www.waterwayguide.com/featur...ck-town-marina

You can anchor near the mouth of the Creek at Parker's Marsh also and it's a very nice spot usually
Old 04-03-2019, 09:59   #10

Thanks for the tip!..ya, that's the guide I've been using and that area is on my short list. You can spend some time looking at that guide..it's a great resource.
My wife and I drove thru the eastern shore a couple months ago, we stopped in Cape Charles and checked out the town and marina...there's a lot to like over there. Looking at google maps, I'm almost exactly the same distance from Onancock as I am from Deltaville, I wouldn't have guessed that..
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28   #11

Cape Charles Yachting Center has a deal whereby in Winter you can store your boat there from like September thru April for the price of the haul out and power wash which for your boat would be around $300.00

A slip near Onancock for a month is around $140-$165/month

I went to Onancock High School when it was still open as did Governor Ralph Northam who is about 3 years younger than I am. This is a better yearbook picture than the last one that came out recently
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ralph Northam, Ginny Brown.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	187175  
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20   #12

Lol...I was never a big fan of the gov but thought he got a bad rap with the yearbook pic. Would've loved to see that moonwalk!

Wow..that is a good deal for the haulout! Certainly worth considering a winter over there. That's about the same slip rate I have in Deltaville, a little cheaper on the hard, so I'm in no real hurry, just want to make steady progress and do things as well as I can.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:36   #13

Double post

Tags
delta, sail