Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2009, 17:08   #1

New member looking for first purchase

Hi all. Retired and kids in college (4). Near 60 with some medical problems. Have dreamed of sailing for many years and now have the time and some money. I have offshore motor experience but no real sailing experience. I am going to sail around the world at least once taking my time. I thought I'd stay around the Gulf in Florida until I learned enough to sail to the Bahamas and then more. Will a year be enough to learn to venture further? And I'm single so I'm probably going to take on a mate ...somehow.

I'll be looking to purchase in the next few months then live aboard until I can make further plans.

I need to know I can get medical care and medications like insulin, etc before making any grandiose plans.

Obviously I need a blue water boat. Money is a concern but quality, safety, live aboard, resale, etc is more important to be. I'm thinking 150K+ and want it to be able to be single handed. I do not have the strength and endurance I had even a few years ago. I'm still determined to not let it stop me anymore. I've read and researched but I'm still confused. I do have a laundry list of desirables such as all fiberglass, mast thru keel, yada. Want as much keel as possible but still be manageable for a rookie in the Bahamas.

Not sure this is the place to ask for advice but just meet and greet so I'll stop there. Very friendly place.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 17:23   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Thats lots of questions!

Basic answer is yes! Do it!

Everything on your laundry list will come out in the wash.

Just start your boat reseach and get on lots of boats! Be the best tire kicker and get the best deal!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 17:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats lots of questions!

Basic answer is yes! Do it!

Everything on your laundry list will come out in the wash.

Just start your boat reseach and get on lots of boats! Be the best tire kicker and get the best deal!

Mark
I just read your cyclone thread. Glad you're ok. 7 years of offshore fishing has taught me I know very little. And yes that's a lot of questions. I've got a zillion others. I've got to get some cars sold and maybe a house then I can do this. Also all my other gadgets and widgets like astronomy equipment got to go as well. I'm not storing nuttin.
Old 17-03-2009, 17:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
To quote Steve Buscemi from Armagedeon, but at the risk of sounding like a materialistic weasel.... what kind of astronomy stuff might you be parting with?

And welcome to the board!

Since you already know how short life is, I second Mark's "just do it" mantra.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 18:04   #5

Boat: Pan Oceanic 43
Man with Plan

Jabber,
I've been living aboard for a year and half now, so much of my transition is still fresh in my mind. If you looking for advice, keep looking, you'll find it here and on other forums. These are great resources to ask any question. The only hard part is sifting through the multiple and often varied responses. The good part is that one is rarely without info. Stick with it.

I think you laid out a solid avenue of approach. Start with learning to sail on a keel boat (20-25 feet). I thought I knew how to sail until I splurged and took a keel boat course. Fastest way to build experiences is to buy or steal some of it from someone else more experienced than yourself. The slowest and costliest way is to close your eyes and jump. Sail as often as you can, while you shop for the "one". Meet many live-aboards and see the different ways they do it.

As for your health. A man with a plan can overcome anything. People have been plying the waters for centuries. I think that a mate or two that you can boss around will make your sailing adventures ALOT more pleasureable , more fun, and safer. I never understood single handers who set off on world tours. They must be recluses or hermits; I would go nuts.

All the best!
Old 17-03-2009, 18:10   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Jobberone,

You will get a wide range of opinions here, from leave today! to it will take you several years.

I've been sailing for 37 years, and I'm still learning, Tania Aebi sailed away from Sandy Hook NJ and around the world after a few lessons..

I'm a sailor, but I also consider myself a boater and anything that gets me out on the water suits me fine. Given your circumstances, I might consider a Trawler.

My thoughts are that your learning curve would be alot less, and you might get to those palm trees and coconuts faster and with less physical effort.

If it's a sailboat for you, then you won't want a deep draft in the bahamas.
Old 17-03-2009, 19:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
To quote Steve Buscemi from Armagedeon, but at the risk of sounding like a materialistic weasel.... what kind of astronomy stuff might you be parting with?

And welcome to the board!

Since you already know how short life is, I second Mark's "just do it" mantra.

Michael
I've got an 80s AstroPhysics with some extras for AP work, a CGE, a Meade LXD650, an Antares 8" custom reflector, a Celestron 80 apo, and several other scopes including an older Celestron 5" and a bunch of eyepieces etc.

And thanks for the welcome.
Old 17-03-2009, 19:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Hi Jobberone,

You will get a wide range of opinions here, from leave today! to it will take you several years.

I've been sailing for 37 years, and I'm still learning, Tania Aebi sailed away from Sandy Hook NJ and around the world after a few lessons..

I'm a sailor, but I also consider myself a boater and anything that gets me out on the water suits me fine. Given your circumstances, I might consider a Trawler.

My thoughts are that your learning curve would be alot less, and you might get to those palm trees and coconuts faster and with less physical effort.

If it's a sailboat for you, then you won't want a deep draft in the bahamas.
No more powerboats for me and you're right about the deep draft in the Bahamas. What is the least amount of keel and draft for use worldwide? Why not a trimaran instead of the monohull?
Old 17-03-2009, 19:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
I've got an 80s AstroPhysics with some extras for AP work, a CGE, a Meade LXD650, an Antares 8" custom reflector, a Celestron 80 apo, and several other scopes including an older Celestron 5" and a bunch of eyepieces etc.

And thanks for the welcome.
You have an Astrophysics???? A real Astrophysics??

Wow! That took me aback! Are they really as good as legends say they are?

Well, there is your cruising budget for a while!
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 20:20   #10

Boat: Bayliner, 2655, 26', Cio Bella
I vote for a Catamaran, say about 30-40' or so. Set it up for single handed sailing with a furling jib, and even on some Cats, a self tacking jib. Lazy jacks on your main sail and even an elctric winch for raising her up. Your balance and control issues sailing by your self will be much easier to deal with on a Cat than a mono hull. Well, at least that's my opinion. Enjoy every day. You will be living many of us who can't go dreams.
gerjol3675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 00:17   #11

Boat: Stormwind 40 cutter rigged steel ketch
As you are planning going around the world, you really should read Adlar Coles' Heawy Weather Sailing. Sixth edition is now available. One issue well covered on the beginning of that book is "Yacht design and construction for heavy weather". I am pretty sure you would not limit your choice to multihulls only after reading that, however, the book also includes a chapters titled "Storm tacktics for multihulls". You cannot choose the weather or seastate, choose your vessel wisely.
Heikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 00:38   #12

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
live aboard

we wouldnt know what 150k was and we have been living aboard our Cw 32 for the last 9 years since I retired I have 3 years to go for my pension and live on our savings. Where do all you people get all this money. You can live on about €100 a week here in France and look at all the culture and history.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 07:44   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heikki View Post
As you are planning going around the world, you really should read Adlar Coles' Heawy Weather Sailing. Sixth edition is now available. One issue well covered on the beginning of that book is "Yacht design and construction for heavy weather". I am pretty sure you would not limit your choice to multihulls only after reading that, however, the book also includes a chapters titled "Storm tacktics for multihulls". You cannot choose the weather or seastate, choose your vessel wisely.
Plenty - like I mean Plenty - of Multis have gone round the world, from little 26ft heavenly twins to large and luxurious, Its not how many hulls it has, its how well its built, how well the systems work and how well its sailed.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 08:06   #14

monohull vs cat....fight

I've got my popcorn out. :
Old 18-03-2009, 08:49   #15

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
yachts

The most important thing to remember is that the weakest part of any boat ever built is THE CREW. Yachts seldom founder by themselves it usualy a mistake or a wrong decision thet the crew makes. As I have said before I have sailed round the world in a westerely cirrus 23 ft with no problems but prepaired the boat well. In the opposit end a well found 60 ft yacht was lost of the coast of guernsey in the channel islands when the crew abondoned it because it had a small hole i the bow that could have been fixed with little effort.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote