Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 18:49   #1

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
new member from san diego, ca

hi all;
my boat is a 29' cat (8.80 meters) as for living aboard it beets out my o-day 27' that i lived on for 5 years, both hands down.
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 19:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Welcome aboard. Where do you keep your boat in San Diego?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 23:34   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Welcome Polunu880...San Diego here too.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 12:17   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Polunu,
Welcome aboard! I used to sail San Diego Bay in the 70s. Great place but I hear slips and moorings are hard to come by and expensive.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 14:55   #5

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
Thanks everyone;
I keep my cat on a mooring in San Diego bay.
It depending on where you mooring is in the bay the cost goes from 125 to 160 I think. My is just under 150 per month, that's a far cry from the $30 per month I paid in the mid 80s'.

As for getting a slip if you got a mono, it's not that much for a problem, but a cat or tri, unless you got deep pockets 1k+ per month. As for getting a mooring, the wait can be a year or longer, just depends on how big your boat is (more mooring for 30' than 40') and what mooring area you want.
Cliff
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 17:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Polunu,
Welcome aboard! I used to sail San Diego Bay in the 70s. Great place but I hear slips and moorings are hard to come by and expensive.
kind regards,
JohnL
Just to give you an idea of slip rates in San Diego, I can tell you that they are expensive. There is one new marina down in the Chula Vista area called Pier 32, and I think their rates are the cheapest at around $12.75 per foot for a 38 foot monohull (electricity not included)...but that is a two hour cruise to the ocean. I am currently paying about $18.00 per foot for a 36 foot slip at Shelter Island Marina in Shelter Island, and that includes electricity and some hotel conveniences (10% discount of restaurant food, use of pool). I soon will be paying $18.00 per foot for a 38 foot slip at Kona Marina, and that does not include electricity or hotel conveniences. Both the Shelter and Kona marinas are about a 30 minute cruise to the ocean.
Old 22-03-2009, 17:37   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha Polunu...Saw the picture of your Cat...very cool. As for slip rent...Southern Ca. is probably the highest I've seen on the west coast. Supply and demand I suppose.
JiffyLube...How much is the marina in Oceanside. I was looking at Real estate in that area.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 18:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Just to give you an idea of slip rates in San Diego, I can tell you that they are expensive. There is one new marina down in the Chula Vista area called Pier 32, and I think their rates are the cheapest at around $12.75 per foot for a 38 foot monohull (electricity not included)...but that is a two hour cruise to the ocean. I am currently paying about $18.00 per foot for a 36 foot slip at Shelter Island Marina in Shelter Island, and that includes electricity and some hotel conveniences (10% discount of restaurant food, use of pool). I soon will be paying $18.00 per foot for a 38 foot slip at Kona Marina, and that does not include electricity or hotel conveniences. Both the Shelter and Kona marinas are about a 30 minute cruise to the ocean.
Jffylube -
Interesting: I am considering a move to Shelter Island from Kona -- because they include electricity and the discount at the hotel -- as you know, that is not the case here at Kona. Do you mind sharing why you want to come to Kona?

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 00:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Aloha Polunu...Saw the picture of your Cat...very cool. As for slip rent...Southern Ca. is probably the highest I've seen on the west coast. Supply and demand I suppose.
JiffyLube...How much is the marina in Oceanside. I was looking at Real estate in that area.
Rent in Oceanside harbor is around $8.50 to $9.50 a foot (not including electricity), and unless you buy a boat with a slip you'll be waiting for awhile. The longest waiting list is for 42 foot slips at about 9 years (I'm #20 on that list at 5 years), for a 34 foot slip about 7 years, for 26 foot slips about 5 years. Oceanside harbor is a public marina (not a private marina, and you can see by their rates why the wait is so long. The harbor is presently looking at ways to increase their revenues, and they will probably be raising slip rents, transfer fees, and mostly likely will be requiring all boats to have insurance.
Old 25-03-2009, 01:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Jffylube -
Interesting: I am considering a move to Shelter Island from Kona -- because they include electricity and the discount at the hotel -- as you know, that is not the case here at Kona. Do you mind sharing why you want to come to Kona?

Michael
The reason is Shelter Island marina does not have any downwind slips, other than for the mega boats. Every slip at Kona is downwind. As you know when the wind picks up, it can be tricky at times getting into SIM slips...especially if you have the upwind side of a double slip that sits sideways to the prevailing wind.

I never used the hotel or their pool, and only used my 10% discount at the Wave restaurant once...but I can say that the bathrooms and laundry are nice. I figure I will be spending about $30 to $40 more at Kona for a slightly larger downwind slip (including electricity), but for me it's worth it. At Kona the dock boxes, electrical towers, and docks are better. Each slip has a lighted tower and water, not so at SIM.
Old 25-03-2009, 09:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, that makes sense. Peter (the dockmaster) was what initially sold me on Kona -- he is a very nice and reasonable man. And their ice is very cheap. But I have not been too thrilled with their bathroom facilities. They were enough to get me thinking to move already. They are on the funky / icky side to be sure -- but as you might know, and as I just learned, the Hilton is going in right next to us and Kona contracted for new showers, heads, and laundry facilities in that new building. It should be done in a month. That changed things for me.

Michael
Old 25-03-2009, 17:41   #12

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. Peter (the dockmaster) was what initially sold me on Kona -- he is a very nice and reasonable man. And their ice is very cheap. But I have not been too thrilled with their bathroom facilities. They were enough to get me thinking to move already. They are on the funky / icky side to be sure -- but as you might know, and as I just learned, the Hilton is going in right next to us and Kona contracted for new showers, heads, and laundry facilities in that new building. It should be done in a month. That changed things for me.

Michael
I knew about the new restrooms and laundry the day before we took our slip at Kona, and those will be pretty close for us. It surprises me that the old heads were in such bad shape, as I thought Kona was part of the Kona Kai, which at least in the past was considered a very posh marina to be in...was I wrong in that assumption?

One side not about the rates at SIM. When I said my rent included electricity, I should have said that by the time I add in electricity it works out to about $18.00 per foot.
Old 26-03-2009, 08:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The marina is very nice -- they keep it spotless. Walks are scrubbed constantly. But the bathrooms -- at least the men's side -- are definitely not at the same level of quality as the rest of the marina. They were poorly designed with layout that makes you wonder, and simply are no longer in good shape.

The hotel sold the marina a little while back -- they retained the name, but the connection to the resort hotel is severed.

To use the hotel you either pay a 1,000$ or a 1,500$ initiation fee (depending if you are alone or have a family), then pay an additional 80/90$ month. Then you can use the hotel's pools, exercise room, have access to their beach and get a 20% discount off restaurant food (but not alcohol) and have some type of room discount. The exercise room is really nice and I have contemplated joining it simply to have access to the showers there.
Old 26-03-2009, 13:56   #14

Quote:
The marina is very nice -- they keep it spotless. Walks are scrubbed constantly. But the bathrooms -- at least the men's side -- are definitely not at the same level of quality as the rest of the marina. They were poorly designed with layout that makes you wonder, and simply are no longer in good shape.

The hotel sold the marina a little while back -- they retained the name, but the connection to the resort hotel is severed.

To use the hotel you either pay a 1,000$ or a 1,500$ initiation fee (depending if you are alone or have a family), then pay an additional 80/90$ month. Then you can use the hotel's pools, exercise room, have access to their beach and get a 20% discount off restaurant food (but not alcohol) and have some type of room discount. The exercise room is really nice and I have contemplated joining it simply to have access to the showers there.
Maybe it's a good idea that the hotel sold the marina. It will be interesting to see what the new marina amenities will be like, that the Hilton is providing under the agreement with Kona.

I don't think I would personally join the Kona Kai hotel because I doubt I would use their amenities (since I didn't use them at SIM), especially at the prices they are asking.

I don't require that a marina be highy spic and span, but it is nice when there is a certain level pride.

Tags
builder, catamaran, san diego, ukulele