Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 05:30   #1

Boat: will get in 2019-20
New member(cruiser) - guideline

Hi there
I am new to this forum

About myself: I am male at early 30’s, with normal/average physical and mental abilities, divorced, have 10,000 CAD savings and dramatically cheap car. Never done sailing (did swimming in pool before) planning to cross Pacific and Indian oceans and come to Mediterranean Sea via Suez channel starting from Vancouver BC. I have 12-15 months from now to prepare this journey. Currently work and live in Alberta (Canada) in Oil and gas industry as labour, and can save about 50K after taxes and living expenses, if everything goes the way as it is now, BUT… I have to work 25 days a month 12 hours a day, job is exhausting and does not give you free time much. I don’t like my job to be honest.
I am not seasick and I do want to own sailboat and sail alone.

Aim: I have been reading posts in this forum for a month or so and subscribed for several You tube channels. Learned a bit theoretical knowledge about boat construction, types, sailing and equipment, but still have unclear vision of what to do and how to start. Is there any links or guidelines to plan and have overall picture of preparation to trip? I will be happy to any comments

Options: I start thinking of quitting a job and move BC and find a job related to sailing. Plus I would love to do what I want to do which is a huge aspect to be happier. I looked up some jobs but most of them related to marine or navy which is a bit different than sailing, in addition savings are going to decrease double as most of the jobs are financially lower that I have now and living in BC is more expensive compare to Alberta. What are your thoughts? What job will be most helpful? Any other options that you might suggest, particularly related to West Canada coast?

P.S. I thought, weighed, concluded and decided to do it. I will appreciate your help and advices to achieve that goal.
Seeker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 05:49   #2

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Re: New member(cruiser) - guideline

Just my personal thought based on my life. And there will be the people that say "go now don't wait" and I respect that. But for me I had life that I felt obligated to deal with. (Marriage, kids, house, pets) so I put things on hold. I am both happy and sad that I did. Happy because I am much more financially stable and able to shop for and afford more in the way of "comforts" than I would have 15 years ago and sad because I have gotten older.

I am going (hopefully) this week to look at a boat I really like. Had I not waited a few years I would have been more than strapped to make the payment on insurance, slip fees, maintenance and all the other 100 little things (which if you take a lesser paying job can add up fast).

And I hate my job, but it pays well and I have done it for a long time. My "personal" advice is to sit a minute and think.......

-Can I afford this now without being worried all the time over money?
-Am I prepared to sail and keep the maintenance taken care of?
-Can I get a new job that will support me and my dream without MORE stress?

What I see in your post and I am in no way knocking you is that you have no experience sailing and are thinking about tossing everything on your dream. I would think about either crewing on some boats for a season or taking a small vacation on a crewed charter to see your "true" feeling towards sailing.

These are just my thoughts and I wish you well in whatever you decide.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 07:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
Just my personal thought based on my life. And there will be the people that say "go now don't wait" and I respect that. But for me I had life that I felt obligated to deal with. (Marriage, kids, house, pets) so I put things on hold. I am both happy and sad that I did. Happy because I am much more financially stable and able to shop for and afford more in the way of "comforts" than I would have 15 years ago and sad because I have gotten older.

I am going (hopefully) this week to look at a boat I really like. Had I not waited a few years I would have been more than strapped to make the payment on insurance, slip fees, maintenance and all the other 100 little things (which if you take a lesser paying job can add up fast).

And I hate my job, but it pays well and I have done it for a long time. My "personal" advice is to sit a minute and think.......

-Can I afford this now without being worried all the time over money?
-Am I prepared to sail and keep the maintenance taken care of?
-Can I get a new job that will support me and my dream without MORE stress?

What I see in your post and I am in no way knocking you is that you have no experience sailing and are thinking about tossing everything on your dream. I would think about either crewing on some boats for a season or taking a small vacation on a crewed charter to see your "true" feeling towards sailing.

These are just my thoughts and I wish you well in whatever you decide.
Thanks for reply Vonotto. I have already taken that minute and more actually. It's done, I decided to do that. It is not my dream as you mentioned, it's my goal. I am not running from anything or living with that dream. I just want to do that. Why? Because I think I would love it. I am quite sure about it. I know there are difficulties in achieving that target, but I think that I can overcome them.

-Can I afford this now without being worried all the time over money? not right now. but I have time to prepare
-Am I prepared to sail and keep the maintenance taken care of? not right now. but I have time to prepare
-Can I get a new job that will support me and my dream without MORE stress? Not yet, but I think it's possible.

There are million things that can hold me back. I know you trying cool me down, think and do the right things from the beginning and avoid regret in future. Thank you for that, but as you said you sad that you've gotten older. Me too, I am not getting younger. I am in my prime age, I don't need luxury, I need basic needs in comfort and satisfy my inner desire. Why not? I think I can manage it financially. And after that I'll start thinking on other things such as marriage, house, pets, children as I do want to have a family. But it's after, I can not postpone it to 20 years, I think I would have more regret that I did not do it, rather than I did.
Old 27-07-2018, 07:32   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You’re in the oil patch, a prime place to stash cash away if you have self control.

I was you, running a Wireline unit for 10 years the first go-around.

I saved enough cash to buy the boat for cash, as well as have enough cash on hand to exist for 3-5 years.

Do that and you’re golden!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You’re in the oil patch, a prime place to stash cash away if you have self control.

I was you, running a Wireline unit for 10 years the first go-around.

I saved enough cash to buy the boat for cash, as well as have enough cash on hand to exist for 3-5 years.

Do that and you’re golden!
Fair enough. All right. thanks for advice. Basically Vonotto was advicing to stay at my current job as well. So there are two of you. Gosh it is all about money.
Old 28-07-2018, 05:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker18 View Post
Fair enough. All right. thanks for advice. Basically Vonotto was advicing to stay at my current job as well. So there are two of you. Gosh it is all about money.

It’s not all about money, but if you leave your current job without enough to buy A boat and live aboard it the next job stands a very good chance of extending the time required to have the cash required for the boat and time/money to use it.
Old 28-07-2018, 05:45   #7

Quote:
It’s not all about money, but if you leave your current job without enough to buy A boat and live aboard it the next job stands a very good chance of extending the time required to have the cash required for the boat and time/money to use it.
All right, thank you. I am driving to BC coast at this days off just to see the ferries, boats, ask people around and start process of real introduction with sailing. Any ideas, places, points to mention? I 'll be happy to get some.

Thanks
Old 29-07-2018, 05:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker18 View Post
All right, thank you. I am driving to BC coast at this days off just to see the ferries, boats, ask people around and start process of real introduction with sailing. Any ideas, places, points to mention? I 'll be happy to get some.

Thanks

BC I can’t say, Seattle sure. Do some online research and see if there are any regattas going on while you’re there. A lot of the clubs will have a crew wanted message board. It’s a good place to sign up and try to get a ride.
Old 29-07-2018, 07:03   #9

Quote:
BC I can’t say, Seattle sure. Do some online research and see if there are any regattas going on while you’re there. A lot of the clubs will have a crew wanted message board. It’s a good place to sign up and try to get a ride.
All right, That’s would be good for me to catch some.
Thank you
Old 01-08-2018, 10:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Seeker!

Good intro post.

Your goals are not unusual, as many members and visitors to CF have very similar goals. Spend time in the CF thread archives and you will find much previous advice given to them.

I hope you reach your goals.

Bon Voyage on CF and on the water too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 14:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Seeker!

Good intro post.

Your goals are not unusual, as many members and visitors to CF have very similar goals. Spend time in the CF thread archives and you will find much previous advice given to them.

I hope you reach your goals.

Bon Voyage on CF and on the water too.
Thanks, I was in Vancouver last week just to see the boats, sizes, looks, prices. I do love sailing ⛵️ no doubt, even i haven’t tried it. I am going to take introduction classes in group or even private after October, when prices get down a bit and I have to admit the fact of previous advices in that post, if I want to own boat I need financial stability. I am in oil patch, job is terrible, I do not like and it gives almost no time to personal life, but it gives me decent money. Unfortunatelly I have to stick here for a while, read CF, watch youtube, get more knowledge in sailing, collect more information, get answer to more questions and keep going further to achieve my goal and finally sail in oceans.
Thank you for support.
Old 09-08-2018, 17:51   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Welcome aboard Seeker.

Get yourself a subscription to Pacific Yachting. Lots of articles about the local scene, boat ads and boating the Pacific Coast. Look at Yachtworld on line to cruise boats for sale. And depending on your skills look at Vancouver Island - less jobs but some cheaper places to live - including aboard a boat. Moorage rates ( outside Victoria) a lot lower.

But unfortunately boats cost money - on an ongoing basis. I'm a retired guy and we bought ours late as part of a preretirement plan while still working. We chartered locally a few times first. Made us more determined to buy and gave us a better idea of what we wanted and didn't want.

Local boat shows are mostly February through May, but they emphasize new boats and $$$ imo.

Not sure how you like to learn, but sailing lessons available through places like Coopers in Vancouver. You can find other options that may suit you better.

Hope this helps you in your decision making. I'm sitting in a beautiful anchorage in Desolation Sound, and can't imagine not having a boat to enjoy.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 15:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Welcome aboard Seeker.

Get yourself a subscription to Pacific Yachting. Lots of articles about the local scene, boat ads and boating the Pacific Coast. Look at Yachtworld on line to cruise boats for sale. And depending on your skills look at Vancouver Island - less jobs but some cheaper places to live - including aboard a boat. Moorage rates ( outside Victoria) a lot lower.

But unfortunately boats cost money - on an ongoing basis. I'm a retired guy and we bought ours late as part of a preretirement plan while still working. We chartered locally a few times first. Made us more determined to buy and gave us a better idea of what we wanted and didn't want.

Local boat shows are mostly February through May, but they emphasize new boats and $$$ imo.

Not sure how you like to learn, but sailing lessons available through places like Coopers in Vancouver. You can find other options that may suit you better.

Hope this helps you in your decision making. I'm sitting in a beautiful anchorage in Desolation Sound, and can't imagine not having a boat to enjoy.
Thank you. I was in Vancouver last week to get myself introduced, there are lessons avalable, personal ones would be around 1000-1300 CAD after October 1. Way cheaper in group, but would be difficult for me to get one with my work schedule. I am going to idle down for couple months, most of my free time planning to dedicate for reading about sailing. I think I am very “green” in it, so most of the questions I have are general, I want level up myself in knowledge, ask more detailed and pointed questions. I have seen a 30-40 years boats around 40’ long (35’ is minimum that I want) in internet for prices less than 30,000 CAD which makes my goals achievable. I want to sail alone, I don’t have wife unfortunatelly, do not need anything fancy. Reliable boat, food and water, legal papers and documents, and sailing skills and I am ready to go.

P.S. Enjoy your trip and happy cruising. Mother nature is beautiful.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, member, new member