Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 18:44   #1

Boat: Balboa 27

Hi everyone,
Hope your all well these days. My name is Lee i have enjoyed viewing your forum for about a year now, Thank you all.
I moved to central Alberta Canada from Vancouver and miss those years of sailing on a 40 ft Wharram cat my friend and i bought when we were 21 or so years old. I also took a free 27 ft Thunderbird the Marina gave me and restored it and sailed all around the west coast inner islands. Funny but i kept the T-Bird for 3 years and never had an engine at all, i skulled it in and out of the marina or when i had to help a tack happen! Yup blessed days for sure. After i moved i missed sailing so much i wanted to charter a boat somewhere and take a sailing vacation.
Even though i had sailed before and had been from Van to Gr Cayman by boat in the 1980s and had boats my first problem was i had to get certified so i could charter a boat. I got the bareboat skippers cert and chartered a 40 ft Cat in Cuba. It was great. I was certified in Thailand at Sailquest which was great and i love those guys. I have been back for milebuilders with Captn Tim (Sailquest) and gang and was in the Samui regatta in 2019 with the Sailquest team, Super fun!
I was so depressed when the 2020 Samui regatta was cancelled and my flights were cancelled that i bought a 1978 27 ft Balboa swing keel trailer sailor 10 days ago and it sits outside my office window (work from home). It came with a seriously seized Yanmar SB8 so i have removed it and all the associated gear and will DIY the Thunderstruck 5KW electric. i am a certified welder and millwright so i will make it happen shortly.
Enough Enough i heard you, I have lots of questions but will try to address them in the appropriate forums.
Again thanks for the many enjoyable reads.
Skipper Lee.
Skipper Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member