Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 22:09   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Noumea, New Caledonia, french island in the south Pacific
Boat: 1983 Via 39, aluminium

62 years old, born in France, started to work at 14 at my father house builder factory, then passionned by technics, I was mechanic on racing motorcycles for 3 years when I was 20. I built by myself a 37" steel sailing boat on what I sailed for 7 years through the Carribeans, central America and back to France. done hundreds different jobs, always for myself. My last occupation is watchmaker. I am leaving in N.Caledonia now because I followed my wife which is spanish teacher. Next year, my wife got a job in Guadeloupe in the french Antilles, so I will be back to the Carribeans. More details on my web site at EVERY, TARAUDS & FILIERES, BSA ROCKET GOLDSTAR
Here in Caledonia I own a 39" aluminium sailboat VIA39 that I did reconditioned many technical points, she was built in France in 1982.
thanks
Tica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 02:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: new member

Hi Tica... looks like you had fun getting here...
Welcome to CF...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 09:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: new member

Bienvenue Tica! Welcome aboard CF!

You have an interesting background of experience that I am sure would help any sailor. Boat Builder, Mechanic, Watchmaker: I sure wish I had your mechanical skills!

I have a request: When you get a chance, please start a thread in the Monohull forum and tell us a little about your impressions of owning a Steel Boat and then now having an Aluminium Boat. I would like to see how you see the two metals for your boats. Why? I like metal boats too. But it is unlikely I will ever own one of each metal. I know some of the advantages and weaknesses of each. So, what I would enjoy reading is how you like them based on your own experience with them as boat materials.

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There are also some "social groups" within the forum that are more focused on special interests. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

There is one focused on Metal Boats, for example.

Metal Boat Owners Group (78 members)
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Metal Boat Owners

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

I hope these tips help you and others here.

Sincerely,
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 14:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Noumea, New Caledonia, french island in the south Pacific
Boat: 1983 Via 39, aluminium

Hi Steady hand, thank you for your comments.
I work on metal boats since long time, even for 2 french well known boat builders called Meta and Prometa who invented the process "Strongall"
A shame, few days ago I started an add to sale my boat but someone kicked me off I guess because I put a link to my website to look at more pictures and details. You can have a pic on www.every.fr
on that site, you can enter on "atelier de bricolage" on www.every.fr/@siteweb/index.htm and read an thread on www.every.fr/@siteweb/corrosion.htm
Sorry but it is in french. the are also some pages on the building my steel boat www.every.fr/@siteweb/julia.htm
I hope this will give you an idea about steel and aluminium boats
I promess, I will post a thread one of those days, I need time for that
best regards
Pat
Tica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 06:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tica View Post
Hi Steady hand, thank you for your comments.
I work on metal boats since long time, even for 2 french well known boat builders called Meta and Prometa who invented the process "Strongall"
A shame, few days ago I started an add to sale my boat but someone kicked me off I guess because I put a link to my website to look at more pictures and details. You can have a pic on www.every.fr
on that site, you can enter on "atelier de bricolage" on www.every.fr/@siteweb/index.htm and read an thread on www.every.fr/@siteweb/corrosion.htm
Sorry but it is in french. the are also some pages on the building my steel boat www.every.fr/@siteweb/julia.htm
I hope this will give you an idea about steel and aluminium boats
I promess, I will post a thread one of those days, I need time for that
best regards
Pat
Bonjour Pat.

I will look at your links, because I like looking at metal boats.

If you want to advertise that your boat is for sale, you CAN do that for free on the Classified section of this forum site and you CAN upload photos to illustrate your notice/post about the sale/boat.

I am no forum rules expert (I am still learning those). But I believe the reason your ad may have been deleted was if you linked to another site (a commercial site).

I believe you CAN post photos of your boat along with details about the boat (specifications, detailed description, equipment included, notes) in this forum's Classified section (FOR FREE). I suggest you do that, just make sure you are uploading the photos to this site (this forum) to be included in your post (rather than linking to an outside sales site).

When I first joined here, I could not see how to post photos. There is a very helpful YOUTUBE video on how to post photos to Cruisers Forum. It shows how to do it multiple ways and is easy to follow.

And there is another set of instructions on posting photos here: Want to Post Photos?
Here is a FAQ page on how to post photos here.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

I know of the META yard by reputation (a good one). That must have been good experience.

Regarding the metal boats: I am interested in both Steel and Aluminum. I would like either. But, I look at the low maintenance of the Aluminum boats and find that more appealing than the need for constant rust/painting needed by Steel boats. I also like the "unpainted" look for aluminum boats (like an OVNI). Less maintenance is appealing to me.
Old 18-07-2015, 08:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello again Pat.

Today I took a long look at the linked boat (TICA).

Your boat, TICA, looks GREAT!

In fact, that is one of the nicest boats I have seen under $75K with aluminum hull, swing keels, and three cabins.

And, that has to be the one of the BEST boat sales web pages (just for that boat) I have seen. The photos shown are very large (and good photos), showing all of the key aspects of the boat. The boat looks like it is in excellent condition and VERY clean!

Your sales photos really are excellent and give a very good sense of the boat's condition and key features. Exemplary!

I think it is also very good that you included the specifications and Plan drawings and the inventory in English language too.

I suggest you post some of the photos and some of the information in the CF Classifieds. I think TICA would be of interest to someone here.

While I have been looking at OVNI boats in the past, I appreciate that this Via is a nice alternative in similar concept and styling.

Question: When I was looking at the bridge and main HATCH, I noticed there is some kind of cylinder shaped metal deck fitting directly below the hatch . What is the purpose of that cylinder/fitting?

Tags
member, new member