Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20   #1

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Smile New Here . . . Coming Around Again . . .

Hi there. What a great forum! I can tell this community is going to be a source of education, camaraderie, and solace.

I have been sailing since I was four or five years old. My Dad is a Naval Academy graduate and I sailed with he and my Mom on the Chesapeake until I was ten when my parents split up. We had an Irwin 25 back then.

My Mom took up sailing on her own when I was about fourteen. She went up to JWorld in Newport and took some lessons and bought a little miniature blue nose. It was the most beautiful little boat you ever did see. My Mom and I discovered sailing without the tenseness which once occurred in the early years of sailing with my Dad. We went out on our own and also included a boyfriend or two of hers. It was a lot of fun and so easy.

I sailed in college at St. Mary's College of Maryland on a couple of older fifty footers which were donated to the college. I loved racing. We practiced practically everyday. I considered the team I was with family and once again, while hard work, I was exposed to a healthy model of teamwork and respect while sailing. I look back on those days with that team and I see how greatly it influences the way I view work and relationships...I have a sense of teamwork that many I have found do not in the workplaces where I have been. I am so grateful I had these experiences in college.

I married a man I met in college. He was and is one of my best friends. We did not date in college but started after graduation. We have been married for ten years now.

Our lives had revolved around sailing. He was a marine photographer in college and for a few years after graduation. He took a lot of shots of sailboat racing and frequently we would be on the water together but in seperate boats...me on a racing boat, he would be in his hard bottom inflatable shooting photographs.

I worked for Womanship right out of college and assisted with instruction for a few cruises, as well taught at Kidship out of Annapolis.

We married and became land locked. I had not stepped foot on a sailboat since 1993 and then suddenly as if possessed by some entity my husband came back from a walk with the dog on the beach during a vacation of ours and he exclaimed that he felt we needed to go cruising. This was three years ago.

I call him my dream hijacker because in college I dreamt many times of getting on a sailboat and sailing around the world after graduation but I did not make it happen.

Flash forward, we bought a 1985 Westerly-Fulmar last November. We have been investing time and effort into updating hardware, painting deck and bottom, new hatches, new running rigging, etc... We have been sailing quite a few times since together and enjoying her.

He is quite convinced it is time to go cruising...I am having a tough time letting go of our one of a kind hybrid solar home, the dream of having children ( I am 38), and leaving my job where I work at the moment. I just figure out what I love to do in regards to work three years ago. I am a licensed massage therapist, and while I know this is completely portable, it is tough when you have long time clients that you have been seeing and you have witnessed their profound healing processes...

So that is me, at the moment.

I am finding pure joy in being back in the environment where I feel most alive...near the water. I miss the Chesapeake Bay , it is truly home to me. I am hoping that I will be able to sail our boat there soon.

Right now we are on the Neuse River out of New Bern, NC. Have spent the last couple overnights in Oriental, NC and that was just pure FUN. Such nice people in that community.

As my husband and I figure everything out in regards to the next chapters, I am just reveling in feeling ALIVE again. Cruising is different than racing and that evolution is going to be interesting for me I can tell already. As well, learning to sail with my beloved has been an interesting study in psychology and our relationship. So far, it has been illuminating, frustrating, rewarding, and challenging all at the same time. Should definitely make for some interesting posts from us.

So if you made it this far down my post thanks for reading my ramblings. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

All My Best,
Gretchen a.k.a. "High Heels" part-time Skipper of S/V Jubilee
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
It's in the blood, whatever you feel for your father now. I hope you still have a relationship of sorts with both your parents. Good luck and happy cruising. So lucky to do it young enough to have no horizons.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:16   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Nothing to fear, but fear itself. What is security, a home? Another home can be built. Let your soul live. Do not restrict it, and give it what ifs. If sailing makes you feel alive? Then go ahead, and live.......BEST WISHES in a tough decision................i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Really glad to have you onboard, Gretchen! Thanks for sharing your story, too. You'll make the right choices, I'm sure.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gretchen,
Welcome aboard! You're able to follow an old dream and that is truly a wonderful opportunity. I think you are in a great area and there a few other forum members there as well.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 16:08   #6

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome to the board, Gretchen. Do they make deck shoes with heels? Welcome again.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Hey, Welcome aboard the forum, Gretchen. Glad to have you here. Sounds like are a cool woman with a equally cool man. I hope to meet him some day.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 13:24   #8

Welcome,

Cruising is a subset of sailing. Many long time sailors have no interest in it. For others it remains a forever unrealized dream. Unfortunately, the quality of the experience is so dependent on the specific characteristics of your boat, your partner, your cruising grounds, and other factors, that it is almost impossible to know whether it’s the right thing for you unless you just do it. By all means try some sailing vacations on your existing boat, maybe some charters on other boats in places like BVI, etc.

Fair Winds
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 14:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Welcome Aboard!

One dream leads to another. If you look around the Crusiers forum you can see we have done it all, right and wrong and upside down in almost anyplace that has water and a place to sail a boat. Should you find question related to the tcyhnical asspects or geographic challenges we can probably find someone that already has the T shirt to offer some advice.

We all learn a lot here and we all learn different things. It's part of being attached to a boat. There is always something more.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02   #10

Well, two years later and we are closer to our dream. We are weeks away from listing our house, just bought a second boat which is being delivered via truck tomorrow to the NC coast.

Thank you all for your posts here...it was good for me to go back to this post today as I am trapped in logistical hell at the moment both physically and mentally...

Thank to all of you for the encouragement! Not everyone in our lives really understands or even wants to try to understand why we want to go cruising, and while at times I can let it roll off my back...sometimes it is not easy. Coming back to the CF community certainly helps to reaffirm the dream and remind me that all this landlife bologna will soon be dealt with and freedom will be ours....
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22   #11

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
'The logistical hell'

been there and back - and quite recently so know exactly what you are experiencing at the moment.

If you listen to your heart, you'll know if it's right or not.

For us, it was. And still is.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:24   #12

Thanks svrodeorm - it helps to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel so to speak! It doesn't help I have sworn off sugar, wine, wheat and just about anything sinful in the last week to boot...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52   #13

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Thanks svrodeorm - it helps to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel so to speak! It doesn't help I have sworn off sugar, wine, wheat and just about anything sinful in the last week to boot...

Oh my G. if wheat is sinful then what's not?

and I am not sure I would like to hear the answer