Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 19:20   #1

New Guy BC Coast

Hello All: I have lived aboard a 30' fibreglass sloop off and on but now this spring will move aboard a new 36' steel boat after 3 yrs of building. There is so much coast in BC to explore and since I am an amateur gold panner and aspiring amateur archeologist plus ocean meets mountain lover I think I will be BC bound for awhile.

Regards... Gary
gpreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 16:30   #2

Another BC guy--Great.

Hope to do a little gold panning myself someday. Being an Archy, how do you feel about Metal Detecting ?
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 18:03   #3

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Welcome aboard gpreb,

I envy your live aboard status. I'm trying to get there. Wow, moving aboard a 36 ft.steel boat in a beautiful area of the world. Life is good...huh?

A "rock hound" and sailor. Sounds like plenty of adventure lies ahead. A friend of mine use to pan here in the mountains of Western NC. He had accumulated enough gold to have it smelted down into a 8 lb.gold bar. He hauled it in the trunk of his car to work to show it to us. At the time, gold was worth around $550.00/ounce. Yeah, he was a little ecentric

Good luck with your plans, and fair winds to you!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 21:05   #4

Archeology

29 Cascade Fixer: As handguns are not permitted in Canada so do I wish metal detectors were banned also. The potential damage to promising sites is encouraged by the ease of use of this tech and any insensitive dope can dingy to shore in remote areas and bugger up something significant. We also have brutal stripping of mountainsides for timber and industrial grinding of ocean floor by fishing trawlers. Imagine what has been lost.

For me, just to find pottery, arrowheads, artifacts of early European contact and the like is sufficient. It is as good as it gets just to sit in the company of these finds and sense the human presence once there.

Even gold panning can be done without a trace for those that may follow and I use just simple manual tools with some success. Many places I have visited take a real effort to get there by boat, kayak & hike. The typical cruiser would never risk such landings so I feel there are still lifetimes of discovery out there.
Old 05-01-2004, 21:08   #5

Gold panning

Hello Stede: Thanks for the reply. There is still "colour" out there and it takes work to find some but lots of fun. I love eccentric which blooms richly in BC ports.

Regards...
Old 06-01-2004, 07:31   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
BC member

Gary good to see you on this site. I am sure you will enjoy it. There are lots of links on the home page. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote