Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 15:25   #1

pirate new gal to sailing world ..help

I am really new to this ..but love adventure.. has always been a dream of mine to sail..more for the sun, the sea, the islands, the diving ,the new adventure..long ocean passes kinda of freak me out..but ill work up to it..this is what i need advice on..ive traveled a lot to many carribean destinations,mostly for the beach and to explore.This next trip im researching is for 2 weeks starting end of febuary08and 1st week march . i want to stay at an all inclusive one week with my two kids 10,13 then rent a boat and a captain and explore for the one week.im looking for small sailing jaunts to start...to ease myself into it and my two kids..i was looking into st .lucia .is there another more beginner friendly sailing destination.i also like the best of the best..any advice is welcome..im not even sure im posting correctly on here. thank you the adventure begins
wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 15:50   #2

Welcome,

I have little experience with charters and none with crewed charters. But, the British Virgin Islands are pretty much the charter capital of the Caribbean. They also provide some of the best and easiest sailing in the region. Hopefully, others can recommend specific charter companies.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 16:09   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne View Post
<snip>

This next trip im researching is for 2 weeks starting end of febuary08and 1st week march . i want to stay at an all inclusive one week with my two kids 10,13 then rent a boat and a captain and explore for the one week.im looking for small sailing jaunts to start...to ease myself into it and my two kids..i was looking into st .lucia .is there another more beginner friendly sailing destination.i also like the best of the best..any advice is welcome..im not even sure im posting correctly on here. thank you the adventure begins
Welcome to Cruisers Forum, wynne. It's good to have you here.

About twenty years ago, my then-wife and I traveled to the exclusive Peter Island Resort in the British Virgin Islands. We went there on the Ashore/Afloat Plan, and it matched the description of what you are looking to do.

The first week was spent at the resort, though we had the run of the entire (private) island. Deadman Beach on Peter Island is often found on various lists of "Best Beaches." It looks out onto Dead Chest Island - yes, as in "Fifteen men on a Dead Man's Chest! Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!"

The resort is expertly staffed and run, and the food is wonderful. I don't know if they still require this, but when we were there, gentlemen were required to wear sports coats to dinner. We found it quite civilized.

Our second week was spent aboard a 52' Irwin center cockpit yacht that was only a year or two old, and it was skippered by a 23-year-old English lad. He knew the BVI cruising grounds intimately, and he could handle that yacht like a sports car. What is more, he prepared the (always excellent) breakfasts and lunches aboard, and delivered us to a new destination each evening for dinner ashore.

Since you mentioned ". . .a more beginner friendly sailing destination," as well as liking the ". . .best of the best," Peter Island came to mind immediately. The resort is first class, and the BVI is the quintessential "beginner friendly sailing destination."

Here's a link to their website: Welcome to Peter Island, a British Virgin Islands Resort

I don't see anything specifically called the Ashore/Afloat plan now, but if you're interested, just get in touch with them and they will arrange a package that meets your needs.

Wherever you decide to go, have a wonderful trip!

TaoJones
Old 27-12-2007, 03:06   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Wynne, and welcome to the forum.

Well, we're unanimous so far--the British Virgin Islands is the best place to find what you're looking for. St. Lucia is a great sailing destination, but to get to other islands requires a long sail across some open water. The unique thing about the BVI is that you can sail from one pretty island to another in a few hours max, all the while in a protected body of water--perfect for beginners. And there are plenty of diving sites, too. Two weeks might not be enough!

Here's another resort option to consider. The Bitter End Yacht Club, on North Sound in Virgin Gorda, runs a sailing school, besides being a first class resort.

Caribbean Sailing Resort - Bitter End Yacht Club - 1(800)872-2392 - Learn to Sail Adventure Package

If you contact them, I'm sure they could put together a great package for you.

Good luck!
Old 27-12-2007, 05:11   #5

Boat: Catalina 30
You also can pop over to Traveltalkonline, click British Virgin Islands , there are always threads I think you will enjoy, and you can ask the same question. "The Moorings" is the largest charter company, and they have a crewed charter service called their "signature vacations" Moorings Signature- Luxury Crewed Yacht Sailing Vacations There are also many other (smaller) companies that do crewed yacht charters in the BVI that sometimes are shockingly not that much more than renting a bareboat, and it's pure relaxation where they do everything. You will want to choose between a monohull or catamaran. Many crewed charters are on cats, and for pure fun, and room to move about the cat would be great for your first trip, especially with the kids..enjoy!!
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 07:13   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another possibility, wynne, is Little Dix Bay Resort. Like The Bitter End, it's on Virgin Gorda. Although I've been there for lunch, I've not actually stayed there. If you find yourselves in Spanish Town at some point, you can actually walk there. Here's a link to their site: Caribbean Luxury Resorts & Villas | Rosewood Little Dix Bay | British Virgin Islands Weddings

Wherever you choose to spend your week ashore, you can visit many exclusive resorts during your week aboard your crewed yacht. You may very well discover that you prefer the time aboard the vessel to the time at the resort. The yacht becomes a magic carpet, taking you to any number of new and interesting places.

There's something wonderfully decadent about being able to say, "Captain, the kids would like to go back to The Baths this morning," as you sip your morning tea in the cockpit, "And then we'd like to dive on the wreck of The Rhone in the afternoon. Dinner? What do you think kids? Want to go back to The Bitter End this evening, or The Last Resort?"

TaoJones
Old 27-12-2007, 12:00   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Wynne,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you get all the answers you need here.
I can't add anything other than you'll enjoy it.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 15:06   #8

thank you everyone for your quick response and great advice ,ill be looking into BVI..cheers wynne ..heres to the adventures of the sea and all she brings arrrrrrrrrrr
Old 27-12-2007, 15:18   #9

This the go to gal for you.

DearMissMermaid.com DAILY BLOG

She is a hoot, an ex sailor, ex pat american and she's the weather gal down there, and has a wicked sense of humor.

Read her blog at:

DearMissMermaid.com DAILY BLOG

Email her:

DearMissMermaid@aol.com
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 10:06   #10

Thank you everyone for your input.ive been looking into the places suggested and prices..wow it is $$$$ in the BVI's...where do u think we will enjoy more(kids also)10,13..peter island or bitter end or briar creek....what is a better local..was also wondering if maybe i should just go for 2 weeks on a chartered catamaran??What do your groceries come to for a week aboard for 4 approx.I hear prices are wacky..thanks again ...im so excited this is an adventure......
Old 29-12-2007, 19:00   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
i also like the best of the best........................
wow it is $$$$ in the BVI's...
Errrr..............Ummmm...................Hummmmm mmm.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 19:19   #12

Why are you listening to a bunch of sailors who have only scant knowledge about these places... as they sailed in a spent a few weeks perhaps a month in some place.

Ask someone who lives there for the facts.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 19:58   #13

Boat: In the market
Since you like the best of the best you might want to look at the Perini Navi offerings.

Rosehearty Luxury Sailing Yacht Charter Mediterranean
Old 30-12-2007, 07:01   #14

hey therapy!!! can one not enjoy the best of the best and be aware of value and the comparitive cost of things.I was comparing BVI to other destinations and yes its up there $$...One quote for a 2 week stay in a hotel in bvi was over 21 000$u.s.slightly better than in canadian funds he he he...about time... and thats no food included ..i think thats high..chartering a boat seems more economical actually..
Hey def jef ..i appreciate everyones input local or visitor something can be learned from everyone...all with a grain of salt folowed by tequila...
Old 30-12-2007, 07:26   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
hey therapy!!! can one not enjoy the best of the best and be aware of value and the comparitive cost of things.
I suppose that is how one would ultimately be able to afford the best.

Maybe it is more costly because of what others say about the BVI, ie; it is protected and "easy".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote