Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2013, 04:51   #1

New, from Greater Sydney

Hi, I just joined because I was looking for any long voyagers that were after crew.

I'm not very experienced, but as I said in my Profile here, I enjoy snorkelling (usually get to the bottom, usually about 20 feet), but I haven't been for a while.

I did a scuba course back in 1979, and never felt even queasy on any of the boat dives. I didn't keep the scuba up (lost my driver's licence for 3 months back then) except for a great day just north of Sydney in 1988, and then again on a Whitsunday cruise holiday in early 2002.

My first missus and I hired outboard dinghies most weekends in the early 1980s, from different marinas around Sydney. I think we explored most of the waterways around Sydney. We ended up owning our own 11 footer with a Suzuki 9.9hp (which was great, cause we could get it to plane). We even went across Sydney Harbour once (return trip) from Woolwich to Nielsen Park, but almost got run over by ferries on the way back! But we made it, no one got hurt.

I did a South Pacific liner cruise in early 1985, and despite some rough seas never got sick. Oh yeah, we also hired an outboard dinghy at Myall Lakes, just north of Newcastle (S.E. Australia) and I kept us calm during some sizable wind-waves that came up.

Cruising the Whitsundays on an old wind-jammer was the most fun (excellent snorkelling there, I also did a scuba refresher course there) and made it up to the first (lower) crow's nest no problem. During that holiday, I also spent 3 days on the yacht that the first Australian winners of the America's Cup practiced on. The crew asked me to take the wheel for a while at one stage - great memories, listening to Jimi Hendrix on the cassette player and steering that lovely big sailing yacht!

Sorry for the long introduction, but I'm kind of using it as my advertisement for anyone who might want a crew member on a long voyage. I've got no ties and it's something I'd like to do.

It's late here now, so I might have to post this and go. I should be able to check tomorrow morning.

Ciao.
oceanofbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 11:01   #2

Re: New, from Greater Sydney

Greetings from the other side of the world. Welcome to Cruisers Forum Ocean. Good luck with the crew thing. I hope you enjoy yourself here.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:36   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: New, from Greater Sydney

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Hope you can find a good crew position.
kind regards,

Tags
sydney