Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 07:37   #1

Boat: (hopefully) 44 Leopard
pirate New couple, putting plans together to sail around the world!

Hello everyone!

Sandy and I are now putting together our dream plans to sail around the world and we would like to get to know some of you! We have both been around the water, power boating our whole lives, but have never sailed. We are taking live aboard sailing lesson in the BVI in November. Trying to find the perfect Leopard 44 or waiting for the new Leopard 45 to purchase!

We want to leave January 1 2018 from New orleans through panama canal and off around the world of coarse stopping in many many places, not in hurry at all. We will be looking for buddy boats to hook up with, especially for the Ocean passages.

So if anyone has similar dreams in the works or would like to put them together with us,, Please by all means reach out to us. We are couple in our mid 50's.

And if anyone has any good advice,,PLEASE send in.

Cheers
Paul & Sandy
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 19:42   #2

Re: New couple, putting plans together to sail around the world!

Hey! Great to hear someone with similar story. I just graduated and looking for a catamaran to sail and live aboard with my family hopefully on the up coming 2017. How is your search going for the Leopard?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
dollarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 04:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul & Sandy, and dollarside.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 05:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul & Sandy, and dollarside.
Thank you! [emoji4]
Old 20-08-2016, 05:16   #5

pirate Re: New couple, putting plans together to sail around the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarside View Post
Hey! Great to hear someone with similar story. I just graduated and looking for a catamaran to sail and live aboard with my family hopefully on the up coming 2017. How is your search going for the Leopard?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Hi there Dollar side,,,, Searching for the perfect yacht is a long process and need lot of patience as everything changes and evolves for us. The more we learn the more we realize how much we dont know still :-) At least we have nailed down the size and brands we are serious to consider buying. The L44 is by far the leader so far for us. If we cant find the perfect L44 for us we will consider 1 or 2 other options, but main focus is the search for the perfect L44. Iam really afraid I wont find one soon and we are going to the boat show">Annapolis boat show to see the new 45 ( That we really cant afford :-0) in October and I might get sucked into the allure and buy the new 45 anyway!!! LoL

Do you know what boat you want yet? Where do you want to sail to?

Cheers
Old 20-08-2016, 05:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hi there Dollar side,,,, Searching for the perfect yacht is a long process and need lot of patience as everything changes and evolves for us. The more we learn the more we realize how much we dont know still :-) At least we have nailed down the size and brands we are serious to consider buying. The L44 is by far the leader so far for us. If we cant find the perfect L44 for us we will consider 1 or 2 other options, but main focus is the search for the perfect L44. Iam really afraid I wont find one soon and we are going to the Annapolis boat show to see the new 45 ( That we really cant afford :-0) in October and I might get sucked into the allure and buy the new 45 anyway!!! LoL

Cheers
Wow! Exactly the same position here. I've been looking for a few months now at catamarans as well. I saw a couple of good deals on L47 but they were way too far (in French Polynesia) and I'm based in South East Asia. Just like you guys, Leopards are definitely one of the top names I'm looking into. From what I know, the older Leopards have a problem with leaking windows, and the balsa core poses a challenge especially when buying an older pre-owned one. But from looking at them on site, I think they are more spacious than other cats that I've been on to (which isn't that many actually). I'd be happy for you if you got the new one from the boat show [emoji14]

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm looking for a catamaran in South East Asia that I can equip for living aboard long term.

Have you guys been sailing extensively before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hi there Dollar side,,,, Searching for the perfect yacht is a long process and need lot of patience as everything changes and evolves for us. The more we learn the more we realize how much we dont know still :-) At least we have nailed down the size and brands we are serious to consider buying. The L44 is by far the leader so far for us. If we cant find the perfect L44 for us we will consider 1 or 2 other options, but main focus is the search for the perfect L44. Iam really afraid I wont find one soon and we are going to the Annapolis boat show to see the new 45 ( That we really cant afford :-0) in October and I might get sucked into the allure and buy the new 45 anyway!!! LoL

Cheers
Old 20-08-2016, 05:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF Paul and Sandy !

Can't wait to hear the tale as it unravels...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 14:44   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L

Hi Paul and Sandy,

My partner and I are in our late 40s and have a similar 3 year plan to buy our boat (in process, a 55 foot Outremer catamaran), rent our home, and head offshore after several years of learning our boat and waiting for our boys to finish high school. We're in New Zealand and our first passage for our circumnavigation in 2018 will be to head east across the South Pacific to Easter Island, then coming back west and north into French Polynesia. Perhaps we'll meet up!

Good luck with your boat search and don't limit yourself to a particular area if you're looking for a particular boat. For an L44 (or 43 or 47?) look to charter areas and the places where folks give up or end their world cruising dream. That means the Med, the Caribbean and Florida, and the western South Pacific. I see 10 listed on yachtworld.com, split between the Med and Floriday/BVI. You can always get the boat professionally delivered back to your home base, and use that delivery as an extended sailing and cruising lifestyle lesson.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Cheers,
Tom and Deb
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:43   #9

pirate Re: New couple, putting plans together to sail around the world!

Thnx Tom and Deb for the good advice!! We will do as you suggest!

WOW 55 Outreamer!! NICE.. Way out of our league :-)

Lets keep in touch as we will be cutting the land cord Jan 1 2018, hoping to be in South Pacific by end of March.!!!!!!

Cheers
Paul & Sandy

Let me know when you get yours!

Tags
round the world, sail