Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 10:14   #1

New

Hi Everyone,
My name is Rod and I hope to contribute as much as I get from this community. I don't own a boat but I've spent my entire working life in the maritime industry. I spent twenty years (and five days) in the US Navy as a navigator (QM) and retired as a Chief Petty Officer. I went to work at Northrop Grumman as an ECDIS instructor until they closed the field engineering department. I moved to South Florida to work at a maritime academy where I taught ECDIS, Marine Firefighting, Security, Damage Control and lots of other topics. I finished my degree in Management and Instructional Design and accepted a job with the worlds largest life raft manufacturer and servicing organization. I manage the training of service technicians in North, Central and South America and ensure they are certified to all applicable standards.

I've read the forum rules and promise to not try to sell anything here. I do have an interest in answering questions as well as hearing some of the issues, from your perspective, concerning life saving equipment. I'd like to incorporate some of your input into what I train the technicians who service your rafts and life jackets.

Rod
RodtheRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 10:30   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: New

My life raft is about 12 years since the last service, and I think it may be cheaper to just get a new life raft. I have a top of the line Givens six man life raft, and I don't think I will spend as much money this time around.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 10:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Rod and welcome to the forum.

It's always interesting and informative to hear things from the big boat point of view. Most of the forum members (with a few very notable exceptions) are exclusively pleasure boaters but of course often cross paths with the big boys in the course of cruising.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 10:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
My life raft is about 12 years since the last service, and I think it may be cheaper to just get a new life raft. I have a top of the line Givens six man life raft, and I don't think I will spend as much money this time around.
You might be better off money wise buying a new raft. Most rafts are glued together and there isn't a glue known to mankind that can withstand prolonged exposure to water. The items in the E-packs are probably expired too (pyro, batteries, sea sick pills, ect.). The money you spend servicing your old raft will include gas inflation test, working pressure test, floor seam test, necessary additional pressure test and replacement of expired items. A raft as old as yours, that hasn't been serviced, might require repairs to the canopy or buoyancy too. You can probably imagine all the dollar signs adding up right now. If you choose to buy a new raft, I recommend going back to the place you bought your current raft from and negotiate a deal. Let them condemn your raft and ask for a discount on a new one. Most places will offer deep discounts when they condemn a raft.
RodtheRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Rod!

Not everyone here on CF owns a boat, but everyone shares a love of sailing and boats.

Life rafts are a frequently discussed topic, and I am sure your comments will be interesting during those discussions.

Bon Voyage on the forum!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote