Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2023, 17:29   #1

Boat: None at this time, Looking to Restore
Need help

Good Day All,
We need help on getting experience, we are looking for someone cruising from the east coast anywhere for 1-2 weeks out at sea. We are in our 50s and I have Navigation experience and worked the Bahamas, USVI, and east coast of US in CG and Navy. Looking to help someone for a little training on hoist sails.
Thanks all
Richard
iwantsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 18:19   #2

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Need help

Welcome

Knowing your location and boat may be helpful. Out and back cruise or how does your crew get back?
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 19:25   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 08:36   #4

We currently do not have a sailboat but we are looking. We would like to learn as much as possible. We live in Minnesota so Duluth is closes but we are willing to travel to assist someone transferring or a week or so sail.
Old 25-03-2023, 10:10   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Might I suggest an ASA sailing course to get your feet wet and give you a basic knowledge of small boats? The ASA school may have boats for rent but they want to you exhibit skills before they'll let you rent one.

Or try offering yourselves up as "railmeat" for local beer can racing. Or see if there are sailing clubs near you. I think you'll find a lot of people willing to take you up and spend an afternoon or more with you. Find a marina or two, walk the docks, say Hi to people, explain yourself and offer up your services as crew.

There is a " Crew Positions: Wanted & Available" here on the forum that may get you more responses or better suggestions than I have.

I'd be happy to take you out sailing but I am about 8 months away from getting my new to me boat ready for sailing plus it's in Texas. I'll be moving it but maybe not for another year or so. Send me a PM with your contact info and I'd be happy to let you know when I am getting close to launch. I intend on sailing locally for a month or three to shake down the boat which might be prefect for you. After that a long sail from Galveston to Key West. Then up the East Coast to Maine.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:15   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard! I'd just echo what Scubaseas mentioned about also posting this in the Crew Positions thread. Good luck! If you make it out to California you are welcome to join me out for a sail.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 04:57   #7

Thanks Don C L we might be in Coronado in November if my son gets his orders. Might take the 3 hour road trip to you.
Thanks again
Richard