Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 16:34   #1

Boat: 41.1 Bristol
Need Depth Sounder Advice

Hi, I'm looking for a depth sounder for my husband's xmas gift and would appreciate suggestions as there are just too many to choose from out there. We have a 41.1 Bristol. Thanks
lgfirstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 17:38   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I think he might be more excited if you went sounder shopping with him. There are too many variants of the simple depth sounder to point you in any one direction. They range the scale from simple to complex, traditional stand alone, networked, fwd looking etc.....
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 17:53   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Have to agree with Sailmonkey. That is a very thoughtful gift but the complexities are intricate. OTOH a handheld depthsounder would be a nice treat and a lot easier to pick to put under the tree. This is a link -- Handheld Sonar System PX I don't have any connection with Defender except as a customer.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 18:06   #4

Boat: Bristol 32
I have a Bristol 32. Bristol put so much glass into these things that I needed a special order transducer just to get all the way through all of the laminate in my hull. Wound up with an expensive Raymarine unit. This would be tough to buy without measuring the depth of the hole in the hull.

Very, very thoughtful, though. Other suggestions; Back up hand held GPS, hand held VHF radio, new flare kit,(everybody's are out of date) a new eco pump up fog horn, if you live in a foggy area.

Mainebristol
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 05:39   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgfirstmate View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a depth sounder for my husband's xmas gift and would appreciate suggestions as there are just too many to choose from out there. We have a 41.1 Bristol. Thanks

Try a Gift Card from West Marine, nicely packaged with a catalog. He'll appreciate that far more than hardware. (Trust me. My wife insists on buying me hardware. While I appreciate the sentiment the exchanges do complicate the matter 'tho I would never complain to her and would never act ungrateful.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:06   #6

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
When I needed one for my boat I did a little research and found the raymarine st40 to be the best rated (cannot remember where I found that). I have installed and it has worked flawlessly. The tricky part was getting the right transducer. Ray marine transducers are made by another company. Since this was a replacement for another transducer I needed one that fit the hull hole that already existed and I needed (wanted) brass. Finally got one at a good price. The transducer that comes with the st40 is more for a power boat (big hole required, short threads and is plastic). I must also say that raymarine was less than helpful on this. I think the price for the whole setup was about $200.00.
Raymarine depth display st40
Airmar transducer B45
But double check.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:24   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
SvHyLite has the best idea.
- - It is sort of like when you mention you would like some new personal article of clothing and your husband goes straight to Victoria's Secrets and the sexy sales girl talks him into getting you crochless panties. What you had in mind something from TJMaxx or Walmarts. Same with going to West Marine, the cute guy will talk you into some full featured do-hickey that will give depth, fish, mermaids and display other aquatic life when he really just needs something simple and reliable.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:08   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
SvHyLite has the best idea.
- - It is sort of like when you mention you would like some new personal article of clothing and your husband goes straight to Victoria's Secrets and the sexy sales girl talks him into getting you crochless panties.
Oh, why didn't you post this LAST week before I went shopping!

Yes, I agree - the gift card idea with a picture of a depth unit would be best.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 15:16   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and asking that question.
I personally have been able to return most of my more technical gifts and get the item I really want without too much hassle. I truly do appreciate the thought but wish I could have picked out the specific item I want so the gift card and catalog is great idea.
kind regards,

Tags
depth sounder