Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 15:51   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26M
Nebraska Cruiser!

Greetings from Nebraska...The hidden sailing mecca (that is complete sarcasm).

My sailing background is growing up on a lake with Sunfish sailboats and windsurfers, sailing X Boats at camp in Minnesota during the summers, and sailing in around the Caribbean for almost 20 years as a bareboater. I was introduced to the "scene" by being invited to crew for a United Airlines boat at the annual Interline Regatta in the BVI, and have been to many since...Liver is amazingly still in tact. Other pertinent info is I have been a fighter piot/airline pilot over the last 24 years with the Air Force Reserve (F16/A-10) and United Airlines (727,737,A320, B777). I write this from a hotel room in Tokyo...

I few years ago I purchased a small 26' sailboat with two friends and sail it in Nebraska, but my true passion lies in the Caribbean. Experience-wise I started as crew in 1999 and have been captaining since 2011, mostly on my boat of choice the Lagoon 440/450. I have done the pertinent ASA training and consider myself a reasonably competent sailor and credit card captain.

For my upcoming 50th birthday (in three years) we are taking my LARGE family (wife Alisha, three girls ages 10,9,8 and two boys ages 6,4 and nanny) sailing for six months up and down the Caribbean. Home schooling, toddlers, chaos, and all the things you read about on the family forum...Yeehaw. I am in the phase of securing the right Lagoon Cat for this endeavor/challenge...A Lagoon 450 or bigger is my primary, and currently am working on a purchase or long term lease/charter. I know there are other great Cats out there, but I am very familiar and comfortable with Lagoons and relatively experienced with the brand.

Love to hear everyone's advice and opinions, as well as connecting with cruising families, airline/military cruisers, and folks who know and love Lagoon branded boats.

Respectfully,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI Sailing Trip Spring Break 2012 (209).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	126029   Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI Sailing Trip Spring Break 2012 (305).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	126030  

Chris Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 05:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Nebraska Cruiser!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:03   #3

Re: Nebraska Cruiser!

I grew up in Omaha and learned to sail in and around that area. We frequently get people here who say things along the lines of, "I live in Iowa, so of course I will have to move before I can learn to sail."

No, there are opportunities to sail no matter where you are. You just have to look for them. Glad that you found them, and welcome to the forum.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser