Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15   #1

my turn to be keelhauled

ok..so its my turn to be thrown under the bus or boat so to speak.Got so much good stuff off these forums and felt for those who got slatted,sometime deservedly and sometimes unjustly but all good in our learning curve.So i decided to move over from mono to cat(still keeping the mono for around the cans(34 first 10)This poor boat has raced up and down the SA coastline bravely but need to realize limitations both boat and heading over 60years young.
So heres the thing.WHAT CAT?..Dont want a condo but want some comfort but not at sailing ability expense.Listed below the logic (or not)
1)prefer +_40ft where hobbyhorsing becomes less and good affordable size for oceancrossing
2)daggers for pointing ability and speed=safety
3)expoxy foam build for lightness, strength, speed and cost against other light materials
4)low windage for speed and getting center of effort in rig as low as possible
5)center helm station(on open bridge
6)open bridge giving space for 20 plus (could not see logic of 2 lounging areas divided by a glass door)
7)hard top Bimini for shade and giving frame work to enclose with canvass if needed
8)Bimini giving access to stack pack and place to mount 6 solar panels
9)2 heads (one big one small)When camping or living on land in this size real estate no one complains about sharing head/shower.Even when chartering 4 heads being used a few minutes a day by people you usually know and the common outside shower usually taking preference,as well as water limitations, cant make sense
10)i only require 2 cabins and a sea berth
11)good full nav station
12)lithium batteries(obviously)
13)inboard diesel (aiding charging getting home quickly when time is crucial and reliability and distance able to cover)
14)decent rig size.Square top main.Opted for twin tuff luff track over roller furl in order to accept batten foresails (pointing and speed)
15) lines lead to helm station for shorthand sailing
16)good galley with double sink,frige seperate freezer(yes i fish and drink gin)alcohol stove and oven mitigating gas plumbing and alarms.No microwave as they become heavy breadboxes and run an airfryer from inverter.Def no washer dryer as i cant see logic of carring this weight and space for washing minimal clothing in a pretty clean environment(and here come the chirps hahah)
17)cant live without music so top of the range rockford forsgate system
18)silent fans over aircon
19)good natural ventilation in the design
20)decent davits to accept decent size dingy
21)big aperture net on tramp as i expect her to be pretty quick
22)lots of forward buoyancy with watertight bulkheads(sail locker space)
23)motors mounted in center, out of cabin, putting weight closer to beam and improving maneuverability
24)water and diesel in rear as they can be adjustable when required in go quick mode
And as this is turning into a novel i will stop here and continue if someone is still left interested.Happy sailing and see u on the water
split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:34   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: my turn to be keelhauled

Whats your budget?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Following —- curious what design could check 75% of the boxes.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:38   #4

budget was $500k with little extra thrown in on the electronics.She has raymarine 12 mfd radar,auto helm,ais full,bluetooth repeating etc.30yanmars folding 3blade props and lot more.she is about 5 weeks off from being launched and really excited.She is super stiff and light ship weight comeing in at under 5ton.Will attach pics of build
Old 09-04-2019, 06:22   #5

Your budget "was"? Meaning youve already bought the boat?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:28   #6

Boat being built ......complete in five weeks
Old 09-04-2019, 06:37   #7

check under photos scape cat....split
Old 09-04-2019, 07:31   #8

Im puzzled, why are you asking "which cat" while you are having one built?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I'll bite, Split -- what did you end up with, or having built? Brand-name, or custom? Final costs? To Snore's point, I can't imagine checking off 3/4 of those items at anywhere near a $500K US budget with custom work. Enlighten us.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07   #10

sorry belizesailor...was trying to relay thought process that took us to this point..the question being pointed at ourselves and how we answered them...john look in the forum gallery I posted rendering and build process under scape cat...built by a smaller yard in Capetown southafrica and semi custom or I should say mostly custom The idea was to build a boat that ticked many boxes without compromise and at a price hard to match...look through the pics..will post more and then explain how it was made and is possible if you interested
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Very interesting, and looks very fast, depending on weight. What were the final dimensions? This may check some boxes for people who do not want cat-ominiums, but do want a nice couple's cruising boat. Who's design?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 00:14   #12

it was a simonous design and tweeked by Anton dutoit (Balance catamaran designer)We are on track to come in under 5 ton and will have that number off load cell when we launch shortly.While Weight was always key ,compromise was given to add a few niceties and fact we wanted a sport boat rather than out and out racer....but she will still be quick...watch for sea trials

Tags
keel